Seattle GATS at Puyallup

  • sutfin
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2002
      Hello all you Z scale modelers,

      Here's a delinquent report on the Seattle GATS show, held in Puyallup,
      WA last weekend, Nov. 23 & 24.

      Set-up of the PVDC went without a hitch, and included an additional
      small bonus layout for the public viewing pleasure this year. Attendance
      at the show was about the largest I've seen at a GATS show in quite some
      time. Just shy of 9000 on Saturday alone, and reportedly close to that
      same number on Sunday.

      From the viewpoint of an exhibitor, it was packed! We had a crowd
      several deep around both layouts constantly on Saturday and likewise
      most of Sunday. Once again, we were able to draw out a number of closet
      Z scale modelers, all thinking they were the only ones in the area with
      any Z scale. Figure we added about a dozen new contact names for the
      Northwest Pacific Z Scalers, who are having their first exhibition
      outing this weekend at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle.

      Most of these visitors were not aware of this list or Ztrack and were
      impressed with the sample copies of Ztrack which were provided by Rob
      Kluz. All of them took subscription cards, and hopefully will join the
      ranks of the subscribers.

      The most frequently asked question at this outing was, "where can we buy
      Z scale items?". Besides referring them to local dealers that stock Z, I
      pushed Ztrack as a source of new products and dealers interested in
      supplying and shipping anywhere. Also stressed the importance of this
      list as a source of information of all types regarding Z scale.

      For the first time at a GATS, there were several vendors with Z scale
      items, track, rolling stock, starter sets, etc., from both Marklin and
      MicroTrains. I didn't get a chance to scope out the vendors at all on
      Saturday, but had modelers coming by all day showing me their treasurers
      from the other halls. Sunday, with a slight slowdown in traffic, allowed
      me about an hour to wander, and I was surprised at the number of
      different dealers that had Z on their tables. But really surprising, the
      two local dealers who stock both Marklin and MicroTrains in their shops,
      didn't have a single item. Talk about missing the boat?!

      All in all, another good showing for the PVDC and Z Scale modeling. Oh,
      the layout took another "4th place" in the popular vote for layouts.
      Can't seem to break the barrier to 3rd place. Oh well, there's always
      next year.

      The next exhibit for the PVDC will be at the Northwest Hobby Expo, again
      in Puyallup, the first weekend in February, 2003.

      Happy Z modeling, everyone.

      Terry Sutfin
      PVDC
    • Jay & Anne Greer
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2002
        Hi Terry,
        Sorry to have missed the show! I'm out of town for a undetermined time
        dealing with TRAX products for 2003. I look forward to seeing you and all
        upon my return.
        Best Wishes,
        Jay Greer/TRAX INC.

        From: sutfin <sutfin@...>
        Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 19:26:35 -0800
        To: z_scale <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [z_scale] Seattle GATS at Puyallup

        Hello all you Z scale modelers,

        Here's a delinquent report on the Seattle GATS show, held in Puyallup,
        WA last weekend, Nov. 23 & 24.

        Set-up of the PVDC went without a hitch, and included an additional
        small bonus layout for the public viewing pleasure this year. Attendance
        at the show was about the largest I've seen at a GATS show in quite some
        time. Just shy of 9000 on Saturday alone, and reportedly close to that
        same number on Sunday.

        From the viewpoint of an exhibitor, it was packed! We had a crowd
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .