50 car coal drag on Cover Page

  • jmac_han
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2002
      Hi Gang,

      This week's Cover photo is an amazing shot of a single
      Micro-Trains F7 pulling 50 Pennzee coal hoppers around a loop
      of the Northwest Crossing Z-Bend Track modules.

      Thanks to Bill Kronenberger for the photo. More photos are
      available in the 'Photos' section in the 'Z-Bend' folder.

      Enjoy your trainZ,
      Jeffrey MacHan
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
        --- jmac_han <jmac_han@...> a écrit : > Hi
        Gang,

        > This week's Cover photo is an amazing shot of a
        > single
        > Micro-Trains F7 pulling 50 Pennzee coal hoppers
        > around a loop
        > of the Northwest Crossing Z-Bend Track modules.
        >
        > Thanks to Bill Kronenberger for the photo. More
        > photos are
        > available in the 'Photos' section in the 'Z-Bend'
        > folder.
        >
        > Enjoy your trainZ,
        > Jeffrey MacHan

        Amazing! This pictures says long about the drawbar
        pull of those brave little F's. But I think this
        picture should have been yet more attractive with a
        set of matching A and B units.
        Cheers
        Dominique

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
          Dominique

          > Amazing! This pictures says long about the drawbar
          > pull of those brave little F's. But I think this
          > picture should have been yet more attractive with a
          > set of matching A and B units.

          Good point. But here is the background for the photo.

          Even the small group of us here in Houston who aspire to pursue "scale"
          operations in Z scale occasionally have a bit of fun with the public. Many
          of the questions from observers are "can these little toy locomotives pull
          anything" and "do they have an electric motor inside." Toy locomotives?
          Aaaaarrrrrggghhhh. And I have always wanted to answer "no, they use hydrogen
          cell technology as a power source." <smile>

          So we have a bit of fun by occasionally loading up a single F7 as a
          demonstration of brute force. That's easy to photograph. Why 50 coal cars?
          That's all the Penzee coal cars that Chad Bryan owns. It would have
          performed just was well with another 20 coal cars.

          By the way, Chad's UP loco is 16 years old and probably has 2,000+ running
          hours on it at shows. That's also part of the "demonstration" but can't be
          photographed. It is the only MT loco that I know about that has had its
          motor brushes replaced (at the 1,800 hour point). Hint: Chad keeps his
          motive power very well maintained.

          Frequently, I put 80 forty foot cars behind an AA pair of F7s. Every time
          someone asks about the pulling power, I just puck the lead F7 off the track
          while it is still running. The remaining backwards running F7 doesn't even
          slow down. That's harder to visually capture without a short movie clip.

          When in the "scale" mode, yes, an AA or ABA (or larger) combination is
          appropriate.

          Regards,
          Bill K.
          Houston