Re: Weathering structures

  • n_vanbeest
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 29, 2002
      Thanks for the info!

      > #1 Don't copy the models of the pros, study the real thing.

      I am trying to copy the real thing, but struggling. I just
      look at the models of the pros, and then feel quite incapable of
      achieving the same standard! But I guess it is just trying again and
      again...

      Regards,
      Nico
    • n_vanbeest
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 29, 2002
        Thanks Jeffrey. It sure looks good. Now how come you find a good
        link, and I don't? :-)

        --- In z_scale@y..., "jmac_han" <jmac_han@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Nico,
        >
        > Here is a link to some excellent advice on weathering materials and
        > techniques. Coming from an N-scale source means that you must
        reduce
        > the explanations by a third for Z scale. ;-)
        >
        > http://www.miniature.net/littlefoot/trains/info/weather.html
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Jeffrey MacHan

      • The Prez
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 29, 2002
          Hi all,

          I recently made some experiment with my Milwaukee Road rolling stock, that is the cars and locos that for sure I will never sell :-)
          Since I am not an expert modeller neither I have experience with airbrush I decided to start with probably the simplest method I have heard of
          locally (or at least a personal variation of): the sponge method.
          Probably all of you experts know this method but I summarize it to mantaing this thread alive and receive you criticisms :-))

          It consists of painting the car several times with different colours and each time immediately and gently remove the paint with a very soft sponge before it dries up. I tried with 2 painting phases and the colours depends on the car colours, in example I have seen that the best results IMVHO come with:

          - colours depending of the original colours of the cars (brown fin this example)
          - lighter colours in first phase (I used earth brown) for the "dust" effect
          - darker colours in second phase (Hull brown) for the rusted and grease effects.

          For black parts I used a dark gray as the lighter one and the tires black as darker, the latter adds some nice shading to coal loads.

          Well, I was really surprised by first attempts since they resulted very similar to prototype photos that I did not use as reference at all.
          Probably this is not the method that you pros would suggest to the newbies like me but it is in line with the spirit of "don't look for perfection but perfects the look", and most important, I like it :-)))

          Ciao,

          Alex

          PS Some pics of weathered cars are in my Photo folder "Alex's first layout".

          --
          Prendi GRATIS l'email universale che... risparmia: http://www.email.it/f

          Sponsor:
          Sei uno sportivo? Scegli gli integratori sport su Erboristeria.com
          Clicca qui: http://adv2.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=803&d=29-11

        • jmac_han
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 29, 2002
            Great work, Alex.

            Weathering is fun and adds enormously to the depth of detail we
            percieve on our layouts. Z can benefit greatly from weathering of
            locos, rolling stock and structures.

            This thread is very relevant to all of us and even the "experts" can
            learn new techniques. There are about as many ways to weather
            objects as there are modellers.

            I had been planning to produce an article on weathering structures
            and rolling stock on the VECRR but now, thanks to this thread and the
            info that is being provided, I can scratch "Whether to Weather" off
            my article "todo" list.

            And Alex, you're absolutely right, the most important thing...you
            like what you've achieved.

            Cheers,
            Jeffrey
            "Don't look for perfection, perfect the look!"

            --- In z_scale@y..., "The Prez" <alextrov@e...> wrote:

            > Probably this is not the method that you pros would suggest to the
            newbies like me but it is in line with the spirit of "don't look for
            perfection but perfects the look", and most important, I like it :-
            )))

            > Ciao,
            >
            > Alex
          • robot909909
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 30, 2002
              Hi List!

              I found that the "gundam" (Japanese plastic robot kits)
              weathering marker set works great!
              It applies easily, then you just use a q-tip to make the effect look
              weathered.
              There is a set on ebay, check it out. Also the "regular" Gundam
              paint markers work great for Z scale. I use them to paint and
              weather the buildings I build.

              Here is the weathering kit...
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=74179622
              5

              and here are the regular markers...
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=74179649
              6

              -Pete
            • The Prez
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2002
                I found that the "gundam" (Japanese plastic robot kits)
                weathering marker set works great!
                It applies easily, then you just use a q-tip to make the effect look
                weathered.
                There is a set on ebay, check it out. Also the "regular" Gundam
                paint markers work great for Z scale. I use them to paint and
                weather the buildings I build.

                Pete, any picture to see the result on your layout?

                TIA,

                Alex

                --
                Prendi GRATIS l'email universale che... risparmia: http://www.email.it/f

                Sponsor:
                PC portatili a partire da 400?: Trovali su eBay!

                Clicca qui: http://adv2.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=530&d=1-12

              • robot909909
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 1, 2002
                  Hello!

                  Yes!
                  I took one picture of my (not finished) layout to feature what I did
                  with the Gundam Markers (and the weathering ones).

                  In this pic, the engineers of the Crocodile, and the Ae3-6, take a
                  beer break after parking their locos....

                  http://home.attbi.com/~tr909/marklin/marklin-beer.jpg

                  -Pete

                  > Pete, any picture to see the result on your layout?
                  >
                  > TIA,
                  >
                  > Alex
                • M. Gottschalch
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
                    Pete,

                    Looks like I will have to get some of those. The results look very nice.
                    I hope it works as well for someone like me who has ten thumbs.
                    --
                    Manfred