1:440?

  • Jacob Munkhammar
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 1999
      Hi all!

      A couple of days ago, somewhere on the net (sorry, I lost it), I read
      rumours about future trains in "half-Z" scale; 1:440! Rumours said someone
      in Germany where to build them.

      Today when I searched the net, I found the following defined railroad
      scales (at <http://www.spikesys.com/Modelrr/scales.html>):

      --

      Z, 1:220, 6.50mm (Well, we all know this one)

      TTT, 1:240, 5.99mm (half-TT, never made)

      M, 1:300, 5mm (ever made?)

      X, 1:304 (1.00mm=1'), 4.76mm (Made by R Walkely in 1935!)

      HZ, 1:440, 3.25mm (Made by Railex in 1992)

      <unnamed>, 1:480, 3.18mm (made by someone in the 1970s)

      --

      According to this list, Railex built 1:440 trains in 1992. Is someone
      trying to do it again, or is the info that started my search just terribly

      How did Railex solve the track (and turnout) issue? (If the trains where at
      all powered, that is.)

      Is anyone attempting to produce (in series) anything in any of the other
      scales listed?

      I ask this because of my interest in narrow gauge Z, and would love to see
      chassis for 5mm or less produced.

      /Jacob (who grew up by, and went to school with, a 891mm gauge train)

      PS. As far as I know, Bachmann Westmodels make (made?) a tram and a train
      for Zm (4.75mm), and Railex make an unpowered mining train for Zf (2.75mm).
      Any other?

      - - - Jacob Munkhammar - - - jacob@... - - -
      - ARCHITECTURE - DESIGN - COMP.SOFTWARE - WRITING -
      mail: Arkitekt Christies gate 4b, N-7012 Trondheim, Norway
      www: http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~jacob/
    • Juan Carlos Furnari
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 1999
        Hallo Z's,
        I read (and saw Photos) that Railex presented a train scale 1:900(!)
        at Nurnberg'97 exhibition.
        Saludos!
        Juan Carlos

        Jacob Munkhammar wrote:

        > From: Jacob Munkhammar <jacob@...>
        >
        > Hi all!
        >
        > A couple of days ago, somewhere on the net (sorry, I lost it), I read
        > rumours about future trains in "half-Z" scale; 1:440! Rumours said someone
        > in Germany where to build them.
        > etc.
      • Jacob Munkhammar
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 5, 1999
          >From: Juan Carlos Furnari <furnari@...>
          >
          >Hallo Z's,
          >I read (and saw Photos) that Railex presented a train scale 1:900(!)
          >at Nurnberg'97 exhibition.

          Working?!!

          /Jacob
        • Juan Carlos Furnari
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 5, 1999
            Dear Jacob,
            Yes, working. That says the spanish magazine Maquetren
            (year 5, 1997, page 75), but don't explain how.
            I attach a scanned photo.
            Juan Carlos

          • WBolt1809@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 1999
              Hello,

              the 1:400 items by Railex are moved by a string from under the rails.
              Interesting to see, but in general of no value, because you cannot play
              really with it, it's just an eye-catcher - at least IMHO......

              Da luego !
              Wolfgang
            • Jacob Munkhammar
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 11, 1999
                I have re-discovered my source for the HZ-scale (1:440) rumour. It has now
                been extended, and you may find it at
                <http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/z-scale2.html>.
                I take the liberty of quoting some of what Editor S. Berliner, III has to
                say about it:

                -----
                HALF-Z 1:440 TINY TRAINS

                Tom Dillon and his wife Laura, somewhere out in Colorado [...], build Tiny
                Trains at the inconceivable scale of 1:440! The only reference I can find
                is in the pricy catalog of "Steve & Slim", Lilliput Motor Company, P. O.
                Box 447, Yerington, Nevada 89447 (1-800-TIN-TOYS). Their Website
                [<http://www.lilliputmotorcompany.com/>] is not yet useful and their e-mail
                address, "lilliput@...", may not work [...].

                Lilliput shows a "stupendous" layout at 4/" x 24/", a typical "attach�
                case"-type of layout at only 4/" x 7/", and an almost-all-but-invisible
                circle, complete with mountain, tunnel, and waterfall, at a miniscule 4/"
                square!!!

                [...] I do not really know if the Dillons build the trains themselves, or
                only the layouts.
                ---

                Anyone has this catalogue (or live less than a trans-Atlantic call away
                from Nevada)?

                /Jacob (who'd LOVE to see functional 3.25mm gauge chassis)
              • sutfin
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 11, 1999
                  Jacob,

                  The Tiny Trains that Sam is referring to are not functional, operating
                  models on rails. They are fairly realistic looking wooden models pulled
                  around a slot in the layout by a 'wire'. They are very neat looking
                  layouts, more of a novelty than an actual modeling/operating layout. I
                  think one would look good incorporated in an 'N' scale layout as a Live
                  Steam layout, etc.

                  Not really inexpensive. If you, or anyone has a chance to visit a GATS
                  show, they have had a small 4"x4" model on display at their information
                  table for the last couple of years.

                  Hope this helps!

                  Terry Sutfin
                • pleahy@xxxxxxxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 14, 1999
                    I saw a simple oval setup (Don't remember the scale, but much smaller than
                    Zscale) at a show in Springfield Ma. back in jan. Its' mtion was achieved
                    by magnets. One on the bottom of the train and one under the base of the
                    whole setup that was moved along the path of the track by a turntable type
                    mechanism. It was a cute novelty at most. and way overpriced.

                    Pete Leahy