Re: [z_scale] scale houses ?????

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 5, 2002
      Hello Kari,

      This is a different subject. What you have done
      is the kind of "forced perspective" that artists use
      to create distance by using strongly angled vanishing
      points. What we have been casually discussing are
      some items that are "not to scale" that can be used
      to look further away. I just don't buy it. Your method
      is much more believable and the results are excellent.

      Besides, the viaduct and the train are to scale!

      Thanks for the beautiful photograph.

      Best regards,
      Reynard

      Kari Tanskanen wrote:

      > Watching from low angles helps and forced perspective works better
      > with two dimension photographs. But I have noticed that I really can
      > fool
      > my own eyes with the forced perspective.
      >
      > For example in this picture (my favourite view)
      >
      > ttp://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/gorge/waterfall_with_background.jpg
      >
      > distance from the waterfall to the mountain top is about two feet
      > and "forcing factor" maybe 50:1.
      >
      > Kari
      >
      > Reynard Wellman wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello Dominique,
      > >
      > > Maybe I'm too critical but I seldom see a Z scale
      > > layout that is much wider than 1 meter so a "forced
      > > perspective" wouldn't have much to do with items
      > > on some distant hill. Most of the time Z scale is
      > > seen from a bird's eye view anyway.
      > >
      > > I think that folks who are into photography can
      > > better use a "forced perspective" item in their compositions.
      > > To me, they don't look right no matter how far
      > > I get away from them.
      > >
      > > Just my personal taste.
      > >
      > > Best regards,
      > > Reynard

      > DoseZ!

    • Kari Tanskanen
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 6, 2002
        I agree. As a conclusion: To work, forced perspective requires
        change of elevation uphill or downhill and preferably some natural
        objects which don't have obvious scale like trees, bushes or rock
        cliffs. An empty parking lot between Z scale and forced scale objects
        doesn't do the trick.
        (For a photography session I have planned to add 1:100 scale hikers next
        to the waterfall. In reality it does not work but in a photo it might...
        and it's easier to paint bigger people.)

        Kari
        Kari Tanskanen ktanskan@...
        http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/
        Tampere University of Technology Machine Design Laboratory

      • davidamiller57@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 6, 2002
          Anyone interested,
          My 4 X 8 foot layout has been finished for years. I am working on a 5 X 12
          foot addition. With some warning, I'd be willing to show my layout to
          whommever is in the Northwest Ohio area. West of Toledo. You can get a
          preview of my layout by looking in Great Modelrailroads 1997 issue. You can
          contact me on this forum
          (I follow it regularly) or my e-mail address (davidamiller57@....)

          Happy hunting.
          Dave