Question to train show exhibitors

  • jmac_han
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2002
      Hi Gang,

      I have a question for my fellow portable layout and module
      owners who have participated in a public train show with their
      creations. The following may seem innocent enough, but just
      think about...

      "Why do you do it?"

      I'd like to hear some of the reasons why you go to the enormous
      trouble and take the risk of exposing your personal creations to
      public scrutiny.

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey MacHan
      Call me curious!

      **********

      So, why am I asking...you ask?

      Exposing oneself in public (figuratively speaking) is a fascinating
      activity and I'd like to collect some of your thoughts and
      experiences for a future "Z-Scale Rails" article. Hey, you might
      even become famous!
    • David George
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2002
        Jeffrey, Why do we do it?
        Reason # 1;Pure Pleasure.
        My professional life was in Sales,and Marketing Management. Success in this field is predicated to a large extent on one'sa ability to interact with friend and foe,and aquaintance and stranger alike. Going to train shows allows me to put to work these skills and talents to gather converts to Zscale among the modelers there ,and also to influence children and parents ,(who came to spend a few idle hours at the show)to go home and find a place for a train layout. I get immense pleasure out of kid's reactions of WOW,and LOOK AT THAT,and HEY DAD-COME HERE ! when they gather around my layout. One precious moment I had was with a 3 year old boy who stood real close to me as my trains were operating. We were head to head ,right close to the track, when a derailment occured in front of us.I reached out to reset the train when the boy looked at me with alarrm ,,and in a loud whisper(so his Mom wouldn't hear) urgently said to me,,"DON'T TOUCH" ! Obviously,he had been told by his Mom for most of the day "Don't Touch",and couldn't believe that I would not follow his Mom's orders.
        Another picture I have is of a 7 year old boy ,whom I had stood up on a ladder I sometimes carry with me for a birds eye view, shouting to his friends in a school group , to "Hey Andrea,look at me !"He got this special position from me after quietly and intensely , watching my trains for 15 minutes.
        Reason# 2. Achievement
        Most every thing I've done in my life has been part of a quest to achieve.
        Achieve personal satisfaction or gratification.
        Achieve success in winning.
        Achieve praise from my family for doing well.
        Achieve abilities to be better.
        Achieve abilities in New fields.
        Achieve acknowledgement from peers and superiors for a job done well.
        Achieve a sense of comfort each day to be able to say " I did that ".
        Since I retired ,I have been filled with achievement because I've become a model train participant and go to train shows .
        My life continues with excitement and anticipation for the days I've already spent in our hobby,and also for the days ahead. Days I spend with a big smile on my face.
        David G.
        G~B&C RR
        Spring,TX.
        jmac_han <jmac_han@...> wrote:Hi Gang,

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
          Thanks, David, for taking the time to post your thoughts. I can
          identify with everything that you said.

          My fondest memories involve kids and one in particular stands out
          above all the rest.

          When I started to show the VEC in Québec, it was only a single
          suitcase (obviously). I began to take it twice yearly to the Sun
          Youth Food Bank Train Show in Montreal very early on. There were
          always huge crowds at this show and it was often very difficult for
          kids to get close. I must point out that my wife always accompanied
          me to these shows and she was the one who spotted little faces that I
          didn't ordinarily notice when chatting with the older 'kids'.

          At the first showing of the VEC after having sprouted a second
          module, she called my attention to a boy of about 10 years of age who
          was standing off a bit to the side. She said that he had been there
          for about 45 minutes without taking his eyes off the layout. As it
          was nearing the end of the day, the crowds had begun to thin and
          there was room near the layout. I nodded for him to move in closer.
          Then I realised that he was physically handicapped, having no
          forearms but only a few fingers at the position of his upper arms.
          Marthe was sitting next to the layout and heard him ask softly if he
          could run the trains. She told him that he would have to ask me. He
          turned and looked up at me and repeated his question in the same soft
          voice. Why, certainly, I replied.

          I squatted down and positioned the control box to VEE on the table
          next to the layout. I held it steady as he turned the speed control
          and set the train off around the track. He then held the actuator
          while he spun the turntable for a full 360 degrees. The little devil
          had observed how I demonstrated the controls and he had everything
          down pat! He even changed the turnouts once to run the train through
          the passing loop. Of course he had to run the turntable back all the
          way around again and open and close the roundhouse doors a couple of
          times!

          The look of pure joy on his face is one I'll never forget. After
          about 5 minutes he stopped the train, turned to me and said thanks in
          his soft voice and wandered away into the departing crowds.

          I guess that is why I take the layout to train shows.

          Cheers,
          Jeffrey MacHan

          --- In z_scale@y..., David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:

          > Jeffrey, Why do we do it?
          > Reason # 1;Pure Pleasure.
          > Reason# 2. Achievement
        • David George
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
            Yep,,,,that's a heart tugger.
            D.
            jmac_han <jmac_han@...> wrote:Thanks, David, for taking the time to post your thoughts. I can
            identify with everything that you said.

            My fondest memories involve kids and one in particular stands out
            above all the rest.

            When I started to show the VEC in Qu�bec, it was only a single
            suitcase (obviously). I began to take it twice yearly to the Sun
            Youth Food Bank Train Show in Montreal very early on. There were
            always huge crowds at this show and it was often very difficult for
            kids to get close. I must point out that my wife always accompanied
            me to these shows and she was the one who spotted little faces that I
            didn't ordinarily notice when chatting with the older 'kids'.

            At the first showing of the VEC after having sprouted a second
            module, she called my attention to a boy of about 10 years of age who
            was standing off a bit to the side. She said that he had been there
            for about 45 minutes without taking his eyes off the layout. As it
            was nearing the end of the day, the crowds had begun to thin and
            there was room near the layout. I nodded for him to move in closer.
            Then I realised that he was physically handicapped, having no
            forearms but only a few fingers at the position of his upper arms.
            Marthe was sitting next to the layout and heard him ask softly if he
            could run the trains. She told him that he would have to ask me. He
            turned and looked up at me and repeated his question in the same soft
            voice. Why, certainly, I replied.

            I squatted down and positioned the control box to VEE on the table
            next to the layout. I held it steady as he turned the speed control
            and set the train off around the track. He then held the actuator
            while he spun the turntable for a full 360 degrees. The little devil
            had observed how I demonstrated the controls and he had everything
            down pat! He even changed the turnouts once to run the train through
            the passing loop. Of course he had to run the turntable back all the
            way around again and open and close the roundhouse doors a couple of
            times!

            The look of pure joy on his face is one I'll never forget. After
            about 5 minutes he stopped the train, turned to me and said thanks in
            his soft voice and wandered away into the departing crowds.

            I guess that is why I take the layout to train shows.

            Cheers,
            Jeffrey MacHan

            --- In z_scale@y..., David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:

            > Jeffrey, Why do we do it?
            > Reason # 1;Pure Pleasure.
            > Reason# 2. Achievement

          • Rick & Patsy Duncan
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
              I believe that a picture is worth a thousand word.
              http://www.texhoma.net/~swora/02050214.html
              I apologize that the trains are O-gauge, but the Z-scale is just to the
              left out of the picture. That too gets many remarks from youngsters of
              all ages!

              Rick

            • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
                Dear Jeffrey,

                I am on the run, so I will answer later

                Regards

                Dieter

                jmac_han schrieb:
                > Hi Gang,
                >
                > I have a question for my fellow portable layout and module
                > owners who have participated in a public train show with their
                > creations. The following may seem innocent enough, but just
                > think about...
                >
                > "Why do you do it?"
                >
                > I'd like to hear some of the reasons why you go to the enormous
                > trouble and take the risk of exposing your personal creations to
                > public scrutiny.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Jeffrey MacHan
                > Call me curious!

                > So, why am I asking...you ask?
                >
                > Exposing oneself in public (figuratively speaking) is a fascinating
                > activity and I'd like to collect some of your thoughts and
                > experiences for a future "Z-Scale Rails" article. Hey, you might
                > even become famous!

                Dieter W. Nolte
                E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...