Re: Speed control

  • Jeremy Brandon
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2002
      --- In z_scale@y..., Cliff Travis <cliff@a...> wrote:
      > I believe that I read in one of the messages That the Speed
      control for
      > the 9 volt battery marklin powerepack
      > offers excellent low speed control. Is it better than the control
      provided
      > by the Blue marklin pack?
      > If so can it be hooked directly to either the controlled or
      uncontrolled
      > out put of the marklin pack.

      Hi Cliff. I wrote here:

      that I recommend the Joerger Fun Set speed control is ONLY used with
      a 9V block battery because it does not have sufficient short-circuit
      protection for a stronger power source. So please do not connect it
      to the Märklin pack.

      I also wrote that I have a prototype version of the same circuit that
      IS suitable for a stronger power source, primarily for use in
      briefcase layouts. I hope to have news of that product in about two
      weeks time. But it needs a smoothed DC supply, preferably regulated;
      there are suitable mains adapters available quite cheaply.

      I have been toying with the idea of producing a modified version of
      the briefcase product that would use a Märklin controller as power
      source. By means of high-frequency pulse width modulation (as used in
      the latest digital decoders) it would control the speed smoothly over
      the whole range. I've made a prototype which works satisfactorily,
      but am not convinced that it is worth "saving" the Märklin
      controllers when a relative cheap mains adapter works as well. What
      do you think.

      I am sure there are other commercial products that members will
      recommend too! Jeremy.