Speed control

  • Cliff Travis
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2002
      Hi,
      I believe that I read in one of the messages That the Speed control for
      the 9 volt battery marklin powerepack
      offers excellent low speed control. Is it better than the control provided
      by the Blue marklin pack?
      If so can it be hooked directly to either the controlled or uncontrolled
      out put of the marklin pack.
      Regards
      Cliff

      All Seasons Camera
      Cliff Travis
      5 Harvard Lane PO Box 111
      Hastings on Hudson, NY 10706
      cliff@...

      www.allcamera.com
      914 478 0931
      FAX 914 478 7354
    • Jeremy Brandon
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2002
        --- In z_scale@y..., Cliff Travis <cliff@a...> wrote:
        > I believe that I read in one of the messages That the Speed
        control for
        > the 9 volt battery marklin powerepack
        > offers excellent low speed control. Is it better than the control
        provided
        > by the Blue marklin pack?
        > If so can it be hooked directly to either the controlled or
        uncontrolled
        > out put of the marklin pack.

        Hi Cliff. I wrote here:

        that I recommend the Joerger Fun Set speed control is ONLY used with
        a 9V block battery because it does not have sufficient short-circuit
        protection for a stronger power source. So please do not connect it
        to the Märklin pack.

        I also wrote that I have a prototype version of the same circuit that
        IS suitable for a stronger power source, primarily for use in
        briefcase layouts. I hope to have news of that product in about two
        weeks time. But it needs a smoothed DC supply, preferably regulated;
        there are suitable mains adapters available quite cheaply.

        I have been toying with the idea of producing a modified version of
        the briefcase product that would use a Märklin controller as power
        source. By means of high-frequency pulse width modulation (as used in
        the latest digital decoders) it would control the speed smoothly over
        the whole range. I've made a prototype which works satisfactorily,
        but am not convinced that it is worth "saving" the Märklin
        controllers when a relative cheap mains adapter works as well. What
        do you think.

        I am sure there are other commercial products that members will
        recommend too! Jeremy.