Low speed Operation

  • Cliff Travis
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2002
      Hi,
      I have several of the Blue Marklin Power packs and would like to get info
      on what other types of power packs are available for "Z" which might offer
      more controlability or some other advantage. Price perhaps. All others
      which I have come across have a higher voltage which could do some damage
      if used accidentally.
      My main goal is smooth operation at low speeds. (with clean track and well
      lubed engines of course)

      I find that diesels run better than steam which I attribute to lower
      gearing. Are there any models which are generally better than others?
      I have been using LaBelle #7 Oil. Any other recommendations.? Moly oil or
      grease? Synthetics? Is the engine gearing considered to be high load, low load?
      Comments appreciated.
      Regards
      Cliff

      All Seasons Camera
      Cliff Travis
      5 Harvard Lane PO Box 111
      Hastings on Hudson, NY 10706
      cliff@...

      www.allcamera.com
      914 478 0931
      FAX 914 478 7354
    • John Cubbin
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2002
        Hi Cliff,

        I find that a great alternative to the Marklin packs have been the MRC
        1300 packs, although the rated output is higher than the Marklin...
        you'd have to get the throttle way up there in the speed spectrum before
        this would be a real issue. Slow speed control is much better on these
        MRC units. An added bonus is that they are a priced much lower than
        Marklin packs.

        As far as diesels being better runners than steam engines, it could be
        the gearing (not sure) but I tend to thing it's more due to the fact
        that the steam engines are on a single, rigid frame where the diesels
        and electrics have two independent trucks that help to compensate for
        less than perfectly laid track. I believe this is why some people hook
        up the tenders on steam sets to pick up power as well, helps to offset
        the potential negative (electrical pickup) effects of a rigid frame on
        the loco.

        John
        http://www.ztrains.com
      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2002
          Hello John,

          Good ideas on both counts. However, I would not want
          extra power readily available when locos start to sputter
          and stall --it's too tempting to push the throttle.

          The other good point: Independent trucks are better able to
          negotiate tight radius' and poor conductive areas.
          That's why it might behoove us steam
          fans to campaign for a Heisler shay (standard gauge
          of course) Only trouble is that these little gems have
          a somewhat slender boiler and it would take some
          serious engineering to hide the electric motor in it. And
          they wouldn't have much pulling power-- you need
          some kind of stiction* to haul those logging trains up and
          down those mountains.

          I anticipate that a Y6B or a Challenger with independent
          bogies would be nice performers in Z scale--as long
          a you don't try to operate them on tiny layouts.

          Something to ponder.

          Reynard

          *Stiction is an engineering term not found in standard
          dictionarys.

          John Cubbin wrote:

          > Hi Cliff,
          >
          > I find that a great alternative to the Marklin packs have been the MRC
          >
          > 1300 packs, although the rated output is higher than the Marklin...
          > you'd have to get the throttle way up there in the speed spectrum
          > before
          > this would be a real issue. Slow speed control is much better on these
          >
          > MRC units. An added bonus is that they are a priced much lower than
          > Marklin packs.
          >
          > As far as diesels being better runners than steam engines, it could be
          >
          > the gearing (not sure) but I tend to thing it's more due to the fact
          > that the steam engines are on a single, rigid frame where the diesels
          > and electrics have two independent trucks that help to compensate for
          > less than perfectly laid track. I believe this is why some people hook
          >
          > up the tenders on steam sets to pick up power as well, helps to offset
          >
          > the potential negative (electrical pickup) effects of a rigid frame on
          >
          > the loco.
          >
          > John
          > http://www.ztrains.com

          > DoseZ!

        • John Cubbin
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2002
            Hi Reynard,

            After a quick search regarding the Heisler Shay you mentioned, I came
            across some really fascinating loco shots. I wonder if something like
            this Climax:

            http://www.geocities.com/logging_info/climax.jpg

            could be adapted to a standard Marklin 4/4 chassis? Now I really haven't
            done any kind of research as to what was standard and what was narrow
            gauge so I'm not sure if there were any standard gauge Climax or Shays.
            If a metal shell could be developed around this type of locomotive I
            think it would be very interesting.

            John
            http://www.ztrains.com
          • mike chenoweth
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2002
              John,
              RLW is coming out with one of these in white metal to fit over a Z MT F-7
              patterned after my masters. Unfortunately it's in Nn3, but the concept is
              the same. Shays and Heislers were used on both standard and narrow gauge
              roads.
              Mike

              > After a quick search regarding the Heisler Shay you mentioned, I came
              > across some really fascinating loco shots. I wonder if something like
              > this Climax:
              >
              > http://www.geocities.com/logging_info/climax.jpg
              >
              > could be adapted to a standard Marklin 4/4 chassis? Now I really haven't
              > done any kind of research as to what was standard and what was narrow
              > gauge so I'm not sure if there were any standard gauge Climax or Shays.
              > If a metal shell could be developed around this type of locomotive I
              > think it would be very interesting.
              >
              > John
              > http://www.ztrains.com
            • Reynard Wellman
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2002
                Hello John,

                Well, that's an unusual one. Very interesting.
                But not my cup of tea.

                The Shay that I am thinking of for Z scale would
                be one of the larger Lima built ones like those
                delivered to the Texas & Pacific Railroad Co.
                back in the 30's for their East Texas timber hauling
                operations. This gorgeous locomotive had
                3 drive trucks and the great T & P colors such as a
                deep red cab, black boiler with a white smoke box.
                It has all the classic mechanisms and was
                heavy enough to out pull any 10 Wheeler
                or Mogul or American.

                Yes, the Nn3 crowd has been enjoying white metal
                castings of Shays for over 20 years now, some more
                successful than others.

                It could happen for Z. However - in brass, not white metal.
                And the chassis should be original. Why settle for
                half baked when it is as well worth your effort to enjoy
                something fully cooked? I'll stick to the recipe.

                I'd rather someone else made a shell to stick on an F7
                chassis. It just doesn't interest me.

                Take care,
                Reynard

                John Cubbin wrote:

                > Hi Reynard,
                >
                > After a quick search regarding the Heisler Shay you mentioned, I came
                > across some really fascinating loco shots. I wonder if something like
                > this Climax:
                >
                > http://www.geocities.com/logging_info/climax.jpg
                >
                > could be adapted to a standard Marklin 4/4 chassis? Now I really
                > haven't
                > done any kind of research as to what was standard and what was narrow
                > gauge so I'm not sure if there were any standard gauge Climax or
                > Shays.
                > If a metal shell could be developed around this type of locomotive I
                > think it would be very interesting.
                >
                > John
                > http://www.ztrains.com

                > DoseZ!

              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 3, 2002
                  --- Reynard Wellman <micron@...> a écrit :
                  > Hello John,
                  >
                  > Good ideas on both counts. However, I would not want
                  > extra power readily available when locos start to
                  > sputter
                  > and stall --it's too tempting to push the throttle.
                  >
                  > The other good point: Independent trucks are better
                  > able to
                  > negotiate tight radius' and poor conductive areas.
                  > That's why it might behoove us steam
                  > fans to campaign for a Heisler shay (standard gauge
                  > of course) Only trouble is that these little gems
                  > have
                  > a somewhat slender boiler and it would take some
                  > serious engineering to hide the electric motor in
                  > it. And
                  > they wouldn't have much pulling power-- you need
                  > some kind of stiction* to haul those logging trains
                  > up and
                  > down those mountains.
                  >
                  > I anticipate that a Y6B or a Challenger with
                  > independent
                  > bogies would be nice performers in Z scale--as long
                  > a you don't try to operate them on tiny layouts.
                  >
                  > Something to ponder.
                  >
                  > Reynard

                  Hi Reynard, Hi John (Cubbin). Very interresting indeed
                  this topic about the performances of Z scale steamers.
                  But are you sure that the apparent lack of power of
                  steamers (I have never operated a Z scale sample of
                  them) is due to the single chassis design? when
                  looking at what happens in other scales, I have never
                  heard of lack of tractive effort with steamers,
                  especialy in N and HO scale...When reading Model
                  Railroader, I always fall on various scale layouts
                  showing steamers with heavy trains behind....In my
                  case I think the main problem with existing design,
                  mainly Marklin if I understand (and it was the subject
                  several days ago if I remember), is:
                  1-lack of weight
                  2-only the first and the last powered axles are in
                  contact with the rails.
                  So maybe these engines should be upgraded in the hands
                  of "performant" kitbashers? Is someone in this list in
                  permanent contact with Marklin to ask them if they
                  would change their steamers' design? Or, to solve this
                  problem, I think it would be possible to design a
                  dummy steamer, powered by its tender. I saw this
                  design when I was a kid on an HO model (european
                  manufacturer Jouef, defunct now).
                  Cheers
                  Dominique

                • Jeremy Brandon
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
                    --- In z_scale@y..., de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@y...> wrote:
                    > But are you sure that the apparent lack of power of
                    > steamers (I have never operated a Z scale sample of
                    > them) is due to the single chassis design? when
                    > looking at what happens in other scales, I have never
                    > heard of lack of tractive effort with steamers,
                    > especialy in N and HO scale...When reading Model
                    > Railroader, I always fall on various scale layouts
                    > showing steamers with heavy trains behind....In my
                    > case I think the main problem with existing design,
                    > mainly Marklin if I understand (and it was the subject
                    > several days ago if I remember), is:
                    > 1-lack of weight
                    > 2-only the first and the last powered axles are in
                    > contact with the rails.

                    Hi Dominique. I've always thought the problem with steamers is "too
                    many gears". As a kid I played with Meccano (an English metal
                    construction toy) a lot and whenever my design had too many gears, it
                    didn't work - too much friction or too much back-lash. So I've just
                    done some measurements of the internal friction of my locos. Internal
                    friction is what the motor has to drive against when the loco is
                    running light.

                    It turns out to be quite easy to measure internal friction. Use a
                    pulse-power controller and look at the counter-EMF generated by the
                    motor between the pulses (you need an oscilloscope to see it).
                    Counter-EMF is exactly proportional to speed, so what you see is the
                    deceleration caused by the friction - a pulse winds the motor up to
                    some speed, then it slows down until the next pulse winds it up
                    again. I measured roughly by what percentage the motor slowed down in
                    a 10 millisecond gap between pulses.

                    Very interesting! The Swiss E44 electic loco slowed down by 20%, the
                    new BR212 diesel shunter/Rangierlok/switcher by 5%, a Faulhaber
                    powered wagon with a flywheel by 2%, but the big steamers (2-8-2 and
                    4-6-2) by an incredible 50%, also the 2-6-0 by 50%, and the 0-6-0 by
                    30%. My conclusion is that the steamers have 2 or 3 times the
                    internal friction of the diesel and electric locos.

                    If it is "too many gears" causing this effect, then it is a peculiar
                    Märklin-Z problem as only that design has such a vast gear train to
                    the wheels.

                    Or does someone else have a different theory? Jeremy.
                  • Reynard Wellman
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
                      Hello Jeremy and Dominique,

                      You guys are both right. Friction is a factor and so
                      is good chassis engineering. But the key advantage that
                      our Z scale diesels have is the extra space within the
                      shell to run large flywheels. Flywheels are key to smooth
                      locomotive performance and should be attempted even
                      within the confines of Z scale steam boilers.

                      However, I have had some experience with well designed
                      gear boxes made by Micro-Mo and they have incredible
                      torque when the ratio is reduced. I will continue to
                      experiment with these miniature gear boxes and let
                      you know if they are as suitable to steam engines.
                      They might substitute for a big flywheel without needing
                      as much space.

                      Best regards,
                      Reynard