Custom Briefcase Layout

  • cwsanger72
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2002
      I am planning out making my own briefcase layout, but I am not sure
      how to do the power supply that runs off the 9 volt battery. The only
      eletrical experience I have is plugging things into outlets, changing
      light bulbs and turning things on. The idea that I have is to get a 9
      volt battery connection and then running to wires to the track, but
      between the battery connector and the track putting a dial that can
      control power and speed.

      Will this work? If not what will.

      CW
    • jmac_han
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2002
        You're in luck, CW. Jeremy Brandon, of Joerger Systems, has just
        introduced an IC circuit that allows extraordinary slow speed control
        from a 9 volt battery. The unit is designed to fit inside the
        Marklin 9v battery pack but I'm sure that you could easily find a way
        to use it for your project.

        Perhaps Jeremy could explain how to adapt it to your needs. The 9v
        controller is available from Ztrack Magazine. ztrack @ aol.com

        BTW, we're looking for a volunteer to write a how-to article about
        putting the Joerger Systems 9v speed control to use. Are you
        interested?

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey MacHan
        "The Last Spike" Columnist, Ztrack Magazine

        --- In z_scale@y..., "cwsanger72" <cwsanger@h...> wrote:
        > I am planning out making my own briefcase layout, but I am not sure
        > how to do the power supply that runs off the 9 volt battery. The
        idea that I have is to get a 9
        > volt battery connection and then running to wires to the track, but
        > between the battery connector and the track putting a dial that can
        > control power and speed.
        >
        > Will this work? If not what will.
        >
        > CW
      • John Cubbin
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2002
          Here's another approach for using a 9V battery as your power supply:

          http://www.fr-model.de/english/information_scratch_battery.htm

          John
          http://www.ztrains.com
        • Jeremy Brandon
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002

            --- In z_scale@y..., "jmac_han" <jmac_han@y...>

            --- In z_scale@y..., John Cubbin <jcubbin@o...>
            > Here's another approach for using a 9V battery as your power supply:
            > http://www.fr-model.de/english/information_scratch_battery.htm

            When we are talking about powering a layout just from a 9 volt block
            battery, there seem to be three possibilities:

            (1) use a 50 ohm rheostat (at least 4 watt); this produces pure/flat
            DC whose level fluctuates with the load on the motor (unregulated);
            it has no short-circuit protection.
            (2) use the voltage regulator circuit described in the link given by
            John Cubbin; this produces pure/flat DC whose level is set precisely
            by the speed control (regulated); it has very good built-in short-
            circuit protection.
            (3) use the unit I produce for System Joerger; this produces full
            voltage pulses at 50 per second whose width depends on the speed
            control; it uses a current-limiting circuit for short-circuit
            protection.

            For unavoidable physical reasons, (1) and (2) do not give very good
            slow-running performance for many locos: as the speed control is
            increased, the motor will not start until a certain critical voltage
            has been reached, and then it runs fairly fast; reducing the speed
            control slows the motor until a second critical voltage is reached,
            then it stops. These two critical points are different for each
            motor. (2) gives better performance than (1).

            (3) is designed for good slow-running: as the speed control is
            increased, the motor starts to turn when a certain critical pulse
            width is reached (the minimum movement is "half-a-pole"), and then
            turns that much at every pulse - for a 5-pole motor, 1/10 turn 50
            times per second gives 5 turns per second, then through the 25:1
            reduction gear means the driving wheels take 5 seconds to turn once.
            As the speed control is further increased, the wider pulses turn the
            motor more each time until eventually a "flywheel" mode is reached
            when the momentum of the motor keeps it turning between the pulses.
            Only flywheel mode is sustainable by pure/flat DC.

            I have emphasised short-circuit protection because even 9 volt block
            batteries can generate considerable heat when short circuited,
            certainly enough to damage the plastic battery container. Fortunately
            in extreme cases the battery is quickly discharged and the danger
            passes. However, if a "stronger" power source is used - a mains
            adapter or lead-acid accumulator for example - short-circuit
            protection becomes crucial. An unprotected layout could even catch on
            fire because of a short-circuit. For this reason, I do not recommend
            (1) or (3) with any power source other than the 9 volt block battery.

            I have designed a version of my controller specifically for briefcase
            layouts and suitable for use with "stronger" power sources. It is a
            small circuit board built on a standard potentiometer. The
            potentiometer has a switch for turning the power on and off. The
            circuit has full short-circuit protection using a positive
            temperature coefficient resistor, and an appropriate capacitor for
            suppressing high frequency signals from the track. It will be
            available either from System Joerger or from Noch. A picture of the
            prototype is here:
            20Zmeet/pix/Noch.jpg

            I hope this helps. Jeremy.
          • Jeremy Brandon