Boxcab review in Ztrack J-F 2000

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9, 2000
      A while back I asked the group's experts on the FR US prototype boxcab if
      the chassis would accept a Micro-Trains coupler conversion. The answer I
      received was to hold on to my britches until the release of the
      January-February issue of Ztrack magazine.

      Well, I just received the issue in question where there is an excellent
      review by two noted Z scalers concerning the boxcab. I want to express my
      appreciation to the authors for an outstanding review.

      Unfortunately, the answer to my question appears to be 'no'. The design of
      the truck base plate incorporates a hook to catch the M style of coupler. I
      assume that Harald Freudenreich, the amazing producer of the boxcab
      locomotive, must have taken into account the coupling characteristics of MT
      couplers as well since he is also producing a U.S. style coke car matching
      the box cab. Unfortunately, there is no discussion of the coupling behavior
      of the loco with Micro-Train cars.

      Looking closely at the magazine photos on page 11, it appears that a MT
      coupler draft gear box could be mounted somehow on top of the stainless
      steel hook. I, for one, wouldn't want to mess up a $500 US collector's item
      to check it out!

      Look's like I'm gonna stick with my 0-6-0 switcher.

      Your comments are most welcome...

      Jeffrey MacHan
      CEO Val Ease Central RR http://www.Val-Ease-Central.com
      Moderator Z_Scale@...
      Ztrack Magazine Contributing Editor http://www.ztrack.com
      ZeBayer http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/val-ease/

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1 3:19 PM
        Dear Jeff,

        it is an oldy, I am refering to (March 10th 2000).
        With an E-Mail of this day you commented the boxcab of Harald Freudenreich.
        Your concern was, if this loco is matching MTL couplings.
        And your conclusion was at this time: 'NO'!
        And then you went on stating: Look's like I'm gonna stick with my 0-6-0
        switcher.
        Now, on that statement I am coming in. What type of switcher you are referring
        to???

        It is a wild guess of me, when I suppose that you may refer to the Maerklin loco
        BR 361 (88641). This is the loco I (tried) to convert to some sort of EMD NW5.

        I would be glad to get your answer, to prepare a similar switcher for the
        Sinsheim show.

        Greetings

        Dieter

        Dieter W. Nolte
        E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
      • jmac_han@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1 6:48 PM
          Hello Dieter,

          Good to hear from you. Old news is good news, all the same ;-)

          The 0-6-0 switcher I was referring to is the 8800 steamer.

          Good news concerning the boxcab. I am convinced that I will be
          able to add MTL couplers to it. Harald Freudenreich agrees with
          me but he says that my solution of trimming the back end off of
          the MTL coupler box is not a "professional" solution that he can
          offer his customers. He will be offering a conversion package for
          the boxcab with new side frames for the trucks and new coupler
          base plate.

          My solution requires a modification to a pair of MTL couplers to fit
          close to the trucks. Of course, it will be necessary to cut the
          verticle pin off of the boxcab truck base plate. I suggest that you
          do what I did, before you make any modification to the original
          boxcab parts, get a set of replacement parts, just in case!

          You'll get to see the boxcab in Sinsheim, Dieter. I will probably
          write an article on the conversion for Ztrack.

          Cheers,
          Jeffrey