Re: [z_scale] Photoetch kit suggestions?

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2002
      Hello Pete,

      I've built both the Miller Engineering Gazebo and the
      Shire Miniatures Bandstand, both are very nice kits.
      They do not require any special skills to build but the
      instructions on one of these kits is very sparse.

      As for painting these little gems, I've used Floquil enamel on
      one and Badger acrylic on the other, neither required any
      preparation prior to painting. I've found that most paints
      designed for models has some kind of surfactant in
      them which if you keep stroking the paint with your
      brush back and forth, will start to cause the paint to
      "stick" the smooth brass surface. And if you spray
      paint them (actually the best method) these paints go
      on very evenly and require very little touch up. It is the
      same case for all our Micron Art kits.

      But from some of the previous emails I have learned some
      new things and I am willing to experiment with vinegar
      to see if these paints will go on even smoother. Stay tuned.

      I'm always in favor of a better way. One thing for sure:
      these brass kits are not as hard to build as you might think.
      As long as you work carefully in a clean, well lighted
      area, they go together quite readily.

      Regards,
      Reynard

      Pasowl@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 10/27/02 4:02:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > zbendtrack@... writes:
      >

      > > Develop your own method (and time of exposure) by experimenting with
      > the
      > > brass "sprue" from a completed brass kit from a given manufacturer.
      >
      > And speaking of developing your own methods, I was presented a Z
      > gazebo
      > photoetch kit. I have never built on of the photoetch kits before.
      > Before I
      > start to experiment, can any offer any helpful hints, deep dark
      > secrets,
      > suggestions, recommended tools, paint bases, etc. to help make
      > assembly go
      > smooth and have it end up looking nice?
      > Thanks
      > Pete Shatswell