Re: [z_scale] I'm still waiting. attn: Bill Hoshiko

  • Ole Rosted
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9 9:34 AM
      On Thu, 09 Mar 2000 08:21:18 -0800, you wrote:

      >From: Bill Hoshiko <billhko@...>

      Hello Bill,

      >I am sorry about my previous post.

      You shouldn't be - it was your letter that made me understand, that
      there was a way of soldering I never knew existed.

      >Your are probably much more proficient than I.

      I don't think so! All I did before was touching a transistor (or
      whatever) with my soldering-iron plus some solder. Sometimes I managed
      to get the parts "glued" together. Sometimes not.
      As I said: Wire-wrapping saved me.

      >Yes, you should make a simple loop with a passing siding. Nothing
      >fancy so that you can at least run some trains. It will motivate you to
      >continue with your handlaid track.

      I have already begun to make a 3rdPlanIt design :-)

      regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
    • Bill Hoshiko
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11 10:54 AM
        Ole Rosted wrote:

        > I have already begun to make a 3rdPlanIt design :-)
        >
        > regards Ole Rosted, Denmark

        > CraZy 'bout Zee!

        Ole,

        If you don't mind another suggestion.

        Please take yourself away from your computer.

        Take all of your Marklin track. Put them on the floor and start
        arraigning them until you find a layout that you like.

        Don't get fancy. This is just a test.

        Make an oval of track to run your trains. Add a siding with switches at
        both ends so that you can park one train while operating another.

        Use the shortest radius curves on this to make it as small as possible.

        Make this portable so that you can put it away when you are not using
        it.

        Run all of your equipment on this test track. If you can operate every
        piece of equipment on this track, forward and reverse, through the
        switches, at any speed, and you do not have any derailments, you will
        have learned much about laying track.

        You will also learn much about your trains. All of the derailments will
        not be caused by the track. Many times it is due to the equipment.
        Check carefully.

        Only after this, should you attempt to handily your own railroad.

        The reason for a test layout that can be put away is that if you leave
        it up for any length of time it will become a storage space.

        The reason for using the shortest radius curves is to let you know the
        limitations of sort radiuses.

        The computer is the greatest thing for advancing my modeling efforts,
        but it is also a huge diversion. If I had spent as much time on
        building model trains as I have been spending on the computer with model
        trains my family and I would have been forced out of our home.

        For me the reason for model railroading is to have a train running on
        track. The last time that I had that was before 1967.

        Shows you how dedicated I am.

        Have fun.

        Bill
        El Toro
      • Ole Rosted
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 13 1:47 PM
          On Sat, 11 Mar 2000 10:54:41 -0800, you wrote:

          Hello Bill,

          >From: Bill Hoshiko <billhko@...>

          >If you don't mind another suggestion.

          I'm always open for suggestions - in fact I need them!

          >Please take yourself away from your computer.

          I know. I'm spending so much time here in front of my computer,
          that I haven't got time for building in the real world. I'm gonna
          change that.

          >Make an oval of track to run your trains. Add a siding with switches at
          >both ends so that you can park one train while operating another.

          In fact - this is what I have. My little oval was used to check my MT
          couplers' abilities.

          What I meant by saying that I wanted a temporary lay-out was something
          a little more sophisticated.

          But that idea is already dead and burried. I will NOT run on Marklin
          tracks ever again. Except for testing couplers etc.

          I will wait until my handlaid tracks are ready :-( (= no trains
          running in the foreseable future)

          >Run all of your equipment on this test track. If you can operate every
          >piece of equipment on this track, forward and reverse, through the
          >switches, at any speed, and you do not have any derailments, you will
          >have learned much about laying track.

          All I learned from this is, that Marklin cannot make tracks. Not only
          are they UGLY they are useless as well. My double-slip derails trans
          at every given occasion, my ordinary turn-outs are nothing but dead
          frogs.

          It was my hope, that homemade code 40 tracks would alleviate the
          problems. I believe in this, but I'm beginning to doubt my skills in
          making the tracks. But I will succeed - sooner or (as it seems) later

          Thank you for your support!

          regards Ole Rosted, Denmark