Re: [z_scale] I'm still waiting. attn Jeffrey Masiello

  • Ole Rosted
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2000
      On Thu, 09 Mar 2000 06:30:40 -0500, you wrote:

      >From: Jeffrey Masiello <neonflux@...>
      >
      >I say make a temporary layout.

      [snip]

      Thank you for brightening my day :-)

      regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
    • Bill Hoshiko
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 9, 2000
        Ole Rosted wrote:

        > From: Ole Rosted <Ole.Rosted@...>
        >
        > Hi group,
        >
        > Although I think, I'm closing in on my target, the first run on
        > handlaid track is not i sight.

        Ole,

        I am sorry about my previous post. You were having such problems that I
        thought that you were a beginner to soldering.

        Your are probably much more proficient than I.

        Yes, you should make a simple loop with a passing siding. Nothing
        fancy so that you can at least run some trains. It will motivate you to
        continue with your handlaid track.

        Bill
        El Toro
      • Ole Rosted
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 9, 2000
          On Thu, 09 Mar 2000 08:21:18 -0800, you wrote:

          >From: Bill Hoshiko <billhko@...>

          Hello Bill,

          >I am sorry about my previous post.

          You shouldn't be - it was your letter that made me understand, that
          there was a way of soldering I never knew existed.

          >Your are probably much more proficient than I.

          I don't think so! All I did before was touching a transistor (or
          whatever) with my soldering-iron plus some solder. Sometimes I managed
          to get the parts "glued" together. Sometimes not.
          As I said: Wire-wrapping saved me.

          >Yes, you should make a simple loop with a passing siding. Nothing
          >fancy so that you can at least run some trains. It will motivate you to
          >continue with your handlaid track.

          I have already begun to make a 3rdPlanIt design :-)

          regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
        • Bill Hoshiko
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 11, 2000
            Ole Rosted wrote:

            > I have already begun to make a 3rdPlanIt design :-)
            >
            > regards Ole Rosted, Denmark

            > CraZy 'bout Zee!

            Ole,

            If you don't mind another suggestion.

            Please take yourself away from your computer.

            Take all of your Marklin track. Put them on the floor and start
            arraigning them until you find a layout that you like.

            Don't get fancy. This is just a test.

            Make an oval of track to run your trains. Add a siding with switches at
            both ends so that you can park one train while operating another.

            Use the shortest radius curves on this to make it as small as possible.

            Make this portable so that you can put it away when you are not using
            it.

            Run all of your equipment on this test track. If you can operate every
            piece of equipment on this track, forward and reverse, through the
            switches, at any speed, and you do not have any derailments, you will
            have learned much about laying track.

            You will also learn much about your trains. All of the derailments will
            not be caused by the track. Many times it is due to the equipment.
            Check carefully.

            Only after this, should you attempt to handily your own railroad.

            The reason for a test layout that can be put away is that if you leave
            it up for any length of time it will become a storage space.

            The reason for using the shortest radius curves is to let you know the
            limitations of sort radiuses.

            The computer is the greatest thing for advancing my modeling efforts,
            but it is also a huge diversion. If I had spent as much time on
            building model trains as I have been spending on the computer with model
            trains my family and I would have been forced out of our home.

            For me the reason for model railroading is to have a train running on
            track. The last time that I had that was before 1967.

            Shows you how dedicated I am.

            Have fun.

            Bill
            El Toro
          • Ole Rosted
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 13, 2000
              On Sat, 11 Mar 2000 10:54:41 -0800, you wrote:

              Hello Bill,

              >From: Bill Hoshiko <billhko@...>

              >If you don't mind another suggestion.

              I'm always open for suggestions - in fact I need them!

              >Please take yourself away from your computer.

              I know. I'm spending so much time here in front of my computer,
              that I haven't got time for building in the real world. I'm gonna
              change that.

              >Make an oval of track to run your trains. Add a siding with switches at
              >both ends so that you can park one train while operating another.

              In fact - this is what I have. My little oval was used to check my MT
              couplers' abilities.

              What I meant by saying that I wanted a temporary lay-out was something
              a little more sophisticated.

              But that idea is already dead and burried. I will NOT run on Marklin
              tracks ever again. Except for testing couplers etc.

              I will wait until my handlaid tracks are ready :-( (= no trains
              running in the foreseable future)

              >Run all of your equipment on this test track. If you can operate every
              >piece of equipment on this track, forward and reverse, through the
              >switches, at any speed, and you do not have any derailments, you will
              >have learned much about laying track.

              All I learned from this is, that Marklin cannot make tracks. Not only
              are they UGLY they are useless as well. My double-slip derails trans
              at every given occasion, my ordinary turn-outs are nothing but dead
              frogs.

              It was my hope, that homemade code 40 tracks would alleviate the
              problems. I believe in this, but I'm beginning to doubt my skills in
              making the tracks. But I will succeed - sooner or (as it seems) later

              Thank you for your support!

              regards Ole Rosted, Denmark