Re: [z_scale] I'm still waiting.

  • Jeffrey Masiello
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2000
      I say make a temporary layout. I'm doing that till we get all moved and
      everything. otherwise you will rush through the job to see the chooo
      choo's go and end up doing a bad job. Plus you will be so much more
      motivated when you can drop a little briefcase with a circle of track
      right next to you as you work on the track for the real thing. Soon you
      will find yourself making choo choo noises as you nail in the roadbed:)

      --
      Jeff Masiello - Level I Technician - Customer Services
      masiello@... - 301 847 5082 (fax)
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 9, 2000
        On Thu, 09 Mar 2000 06:30:40 -0500, you wrote:

        >From: Jeffrey Masiello <neonflux@...>
        >
        >I say make a temporary layout.

        [snip]

        Thank you for brightening my day :-)

        regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
      • Bill Hoshiko
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 9, 2000
          Ole Rosted wrote:

          > From: Ole Rosted <Ole.Rosted@...>
          >
          > Hi group,
          >
          > Although I think, I'm closing in on my target, the first run on
          > handlaid track is not i sight.

          Ole,

          I am sorry about my previous post. You were having such problems that I
          thought that you were a beginner to soldering.

          Your are probably much more proficient than I.

          Yes, you should make a simple loop with a passing siding. Nothing
          fancy so that you can at least run some trains. It will motivate you to
          continue with your handlaid track.

          Bill
          El Toro
        • Ole Rosted
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 9, 2000
            On Thu, 09 Mar 2000 08:21:18 -0800, you wrote:

            >From: Bill Hoshiko <billhko@...>

            Hello Bill,

            >I am sorry about my previous post.

            You shouldn't be - it was your letter that made me understand, that
            there was a way of soldering I never knew existed.

            >Your are probably much more proficient than I.

            I don't think so! All I did before was touching a transistor (or
            whatever) with my soldering-iron plus some solder. Sometimes I managed
            to get the parts "glued" together. Sometimes not.
            As I said: Wire-wrapping saved me.

            >Yes, you should make a simple loop with a passing siding. Nothing
            >fancy so that you can at least run some trains. It will motivate you to
            >continue with your handlaid track.

            I have already begun to make a 3rdPlanIt design :-)

            regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
          • Bill Hoshiko
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 11, 2000
              Ole Rosted wrote:

              > I have already begun to make a 3rdPlanIt design :-)
              >
              > regards Ole Rosted, Denmark

              > CraZy 'bout Zee!

              Ole,

              If you don't mind another suggestion.

              Please take yourself away from your computer.

              Take all of your Marklin track. Put them on the floor and start
              arraigning them until you find a layout that you like.

              Don't get fancy. This is just a test.

              Make an oval of track to run your trains. Add a siding with switches at
              both ends so that you can park one train while operating another.

              Use the shortest radius curves on this to make it as small as possible.

              Make this portable so that you can put it away when you are not using
              it.

              Run all of your equipment on this test track. If you can operate every
              piece of equipment on this track, forward and reverse, through the
              switches, at any speed, and you do not have any derailments, you will
              have learned much about laying track.

              You will also learn much about your trains. All of the derailments will
              not be caused by the track. Many times it is due to the equipment.
              Check carefully.

              Only after this, should you attempt to handily your own railroad.

              The reason for a test layout that can be put away is that if you leave
              it up for any length of time it will become a storage space.

              The reason for using the shortest radius curves is to let you know the
              limitations of sort radiuses.

              The computer is the greatest thing for advancing my modeling efforts,
              but it is also a huge diversion. If I had spent as much time on
              building model trains as I have been spending on the computer with model
              trains my family and I would have been forced out of our home.

              For me the reason for model railroading is to have a train running on
              track. The last time that I had that was before 1967.

              Shows you how dedicated I am.

              Have fun.

              Bill
              El Toro
            • Ole Rosted
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 13, 2000
                On Sat, 11 Mar 2000 10:54:41 -0800, you wrote:

                Hello Bill,

                >From: Bill Hoshiko <billhko@...>

                >If you don't mind another suggestion.

                I'm always open for suggestions - in fact I need them!

                >Please take yourself away from your computer.

                I know. I'm spending so much time here in front of my computer,
                that I haven't got time for building in the real world. I'm gonna
                change that.

                >Make an oval of track to run your trains. Add a siding with switches at
                >both ends so that you can park one train while operating another.

                In fact - this is what I have. My little oval was used to check my MT
                couplers' abilities.

                What I meant by saying that I wanted a temporary lay-out was something
                a little more sophisticated.

                But that idea is already dead and burried. I will NOT run on Marklin
                tracks ever again. Except for testing couplers etc.

                I will wait until my handlaid tracks are ready :-( (= no trains
                running in the foreseable future)

                >Run all of your equipment on this test track. If you can operate every
                >piece of equipment on this track, forward and reverse, through the
                >switches, at any speed, and you do not have any derailments, you will
                >have learned much about laying track.

                All I learned from this is, that Marklin cannot make tracks. Not only
                are they UGLY they are useless as well. My double-slip derails trans
                at every given occasion, my ordinary turn-outs are nothing but dead
                frogs.

                It was my hope, that homemade code 40 tracks would alleviate the
                problems. I believe in this, but I'm beginning to doubt my skills in
                making the tracks. But I will succeed - sooner or (as it seems) later

                Thank you for your support!

                regards Ole Rosted, Denmark