[z_scale] Z scale track ballast

  • Gary Klouda
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 8 8:39 PM
      Hi,

      I've been in Z since 1973, only ballasted the track on one layout, with
      disasterous results. I used the tried and true (for HO, anyway)
      bonded-ballast method, using the finest ballast I could find. No matter
      what I did or how I did it, I had to become expert at disassembling
      Marklin and Kadee locos so I could clean errant ballast out. Now I'm
      about to expand my current (on a Faller layout board) layout to the
      adjacent bookshelves, and I want to scenic the new part appropriately.
      What I want to know is, should I abandon the idea of ballasting the
      track entirely, or is there another, more reliable method of
      ballasting? I have never had trouble with ballasting my HO layouts,
      don't know what I might have done wrong in Z. Any help would be much
      appreciated. Thank you, Gary.
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 9 3:07 PM
        Gary,

        For years I was hesitant to ballast my track for the same reasons you mentioned. I would only ballast the outside of the track and leave the inside without to avoid any problems.

        Now I am demanding more from my layout. I started painting rails, blackening catenary and adding more details. Needless to say, I started to ballast the inside of the rails. Here is how I do it…

        I sprinkle fine, dry ballast in between the tracks. I smooth this out with my finger or a brush. I then use a mix of diluted white glue, water (50/50) and a dash of liquid dish washing detergent. This I poor onto the ballast. I let dry then apply a sencond application. Let dry again. Once dry, I use a vacuum to suck up all loose particles. I then can touch up any spots with the glue mix which did not hold.

        After I am satisfied with the results, I run the head of a small screwdriver against the inside of the rail to knock off any ballst which has attached itself. Vacuum one more time and clean the track thoroughly. Test with a loco and your done!

        I hope this helps, I know for me, the results have been great!

        Rob Kluz
        Ztrack Magazine
        www.ztrack.com
      • Gary Klouda
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 9 7:52 PM
          This is basically how I've been doing it, using an eye dropper to apply
          and a straw on the end of a vacuum hose to vacuum. I must be doing
          something wrong, but I can't figure out what. If you can think of a step
          that would lead more than another to the ballast getting loose soon
          (I've already tried increasing to a two thirds glue/one third water mix)
          please let me know. I've tried regular Elmer's Glue and a
          Tite-Bond-type formula white glue, with the same results. And like I
          said, this system works perfect in wide-gauge ("HO"). Thanks for the
          help. - Gary

          ztrack@... wrote:

          > From: ztrack@...
          >

          > I sprinkle fine, dry ballast in between the tracks. I smooth this out with my finger or a brush. I then use a mix of diluted white glue, water (50/50) and a dash of liquid dish washing detergent. This I poor onto the ballast. I let dry then apply a sencond application. Let dry again. Once dry, I use a vacuum to suck up all loose particles. I then can touch up any spots with the glue mix which did not hold.
          >
          > After I am satisfied with the results, I run the head of a small screwdriver against the inside of the rail to knock off any ballst which has attached itself. Vacuum one more time and clean the track thoroughly. Test with a loco and your done!
          >
          > I hope this helps, I know for me, the results have been great!
          >
          > Rob Kluz
          > Ztrack Magazine
          > www.ztrack.com
        • Jeffrey MacHan
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 9 8:07 PM
            Are you wetting the ballast with isopropyl alcohol before applying the
            dilute glue? If not, the glue may not be penetrating the ballast
            completely, consequently forming a crust and leaving loose patches that are
            fouling the loco gearing etc.

            The next issue of Zrack will present a feature article on track laying and
            ballast techniques as used on the Val Ease Central railroad.

            Jeffrey MacHan
            CEO Val Ease Central RR http://www.Val-Ease-Central.com
            Moderator Z_Scale@...
            Ztrack Magazine Contributing Editor http://www.ztrack.com
            ZeBayer http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/val-ease/

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 11 7:27 AM
              Gary,

              The only other suggestion I have is to really soak the ballast in the mix. I
              use the Elmers white glue. Jeffrey suggested using alcohol to wet down the
              ballast first. I have not tried this, but I have heard this suggestion
              before. What is your subroadbed? Is it cork, or the plastic of a preformed
              layout? This may have something to do with it. For instance, you mentioned
              the Faller layout board. Is this board plastic? If so, the glue may be having
              a hard time holding to it. Just a thought…

              Rob Kluz
              Ztrack Magazine
            • Jeffrey MacHan
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 11 7:46 AM
                Continuing on Rob's thought...if the base is plastic or some other material
                that the glue will not adhere to adequately, I recommend painting the base
                with a coat of acrylic water based paint. The acrylic should adhere to the
                plastic over a wide area. Once dry you can lay the track, add and form the
                ballast, wet it with rubbing alcohol and apply the dilute glue. The glue
                will bond to the acrylic paint coat holding the track and ballast in place.

                Jeffrey MacHan
                CEO Val Ease Central RR http://www.Val-Ease-Central.com
                Moderator Z_Scale@...
                Ztrack Magazine Contributing Editor http://www.ztrack.com
                ZeBayer http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/val-ease/

                >From: ztrack@...
                >To: z_scale@onelist.com
                >Subject: Re: [z_scale] Z scale track ballast
                >Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 10:27:37 EST
                >
                >Gary,
                >
                >The only other suggestion I have is to really soak the ballast in the mix.
                >use the Elmers white glue. Jeffrey suggested using alcohol to wet down the
                >ballast first. I have not tried this, but I have heard this suggestion
                >before. What is your subroadbed? Is it cork, or the plastic of a preformed
                >layout? This may have something to do with it. For instance, you mentioned
                >the Faller layout board. Is this board plastic? If so, the glue may be
                >having
                >a hard time holding to it. Just a thought�
                >
                >Rob Kluz
                >Ztrack Magazine

              • Jay & Anne Greer
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 11 10:02 AM
                  Hi Guys,
                  I hope you don't mind my jumping in with a few comments here. The road bed
                  material I use is artists' foam core construction board. It is available
                  from art supply stores and comes in a variety of thicknesses. I use 3/32
                  for most of my road bed. I pre-lay my track directly over a sheet or pieces
                  of same and set a flat bed rail car on the track. Then, while using the car
                  as a rolling finger brace I hold a magic marker and pull the whole works
                  along in order to mark the upper edges of the road bed. I then take away
                  the track and with a single edge razor blade attached to a small block of
                  wood that has been chamfered to the proper ballast bevel, I cut the road bed
                  with a pulling stroke. Voila! Road bed cut to the correct curve! Road bed
                  that is sound deadening and best of all, road bed that glue and ballast will
                  stick to! P.S. much of my track is hand laid on P.C. Board ties that are
                  solderd to the rail stock. This is for foreground trackage. This may sound
                  like a lot of work but it is really quite easy when you get into it.
                  I hope this helps.
                  Sincerely,
                  Jay Greer/Der Wegmann

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 11 11:10 AM
                    Excellent ideas, Jay. May I add your comments to our group FAQ?

                    Jeffrey

                  • Gary Klouda
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 11 12:02 PM
                      Hi,

                      The places where I've ballasted have NOT been on the part of the layout
                      that is preformed. They have been on traditional (for HO, anyway)
                      homasote on plywood, so the ballast has been on homasote. I have both
                      used alcohol and not, with the same results. I have also tried using
                      less glue and more water, same results. I have not tried matte medium on
                      Z, only Elmer's and Tite-Bond; I've tried matte medium in HO and found
                      it more of a pain to work with than glue with no increase in results.
                      BTW, the picture of Rio Grande coal hoppers on a ballasted main is
                      inspiring. I've had quite a few reponses to my queries, both on this
                      forum and privately, that urged me to use foam ballast inserts. That
                      picture has me reconsidering ballast. Your input is appreciated. Thanks,
                      Gary.

                      Jeffrey MacHan wrote:

                      > From: "Jeffrey MacHan" <jmac_han@...>
                      >
                      > Continuing on Rob's thought...if the base is plastic or some other material
                      > that the glue will not adhere to adequately, I recommend painting the base
                      > with a coat of acrylic water based paint. The acrylic should adhere to the
                      > plastic over a wide area. Once dry you can lay the track, add and form the
                      > ballast, wet it with rubbing alcohol and apply the dilute glue. The glue
                      > will bond to the acrylic paint coat holding the track and ballast in place.
                      >
                      > Jeffrey MacHan
                      > CEO Val Ease Central RR http://www.Val-Ease-Central.com
                      > Moderator Z_Scale@...
                      > Ztrack Magazine Contributing Editor http://www.ztrack.com
                      > ZeBayer http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/val-ease/
                      >
                      > >From: ztrack@...
                      > >To: z_scale@onelist.com
                      > >Subject: Re: [z_scale] Z scale track ballast
                      > >Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 10:27:37 EST
                      > >
                      > >Gary,
                      > >
                      > >The only other suggestion I have is to really soak the ballast in the mix.
                      > >use the Elmers white glue. Jeffrey suggested using alcohol to wet down the
                      > >ballast first. I have not tried this, but I have heard this suggestion
                      > >before. What is your subroadbed? Is it cork, or the plastic of a preformed
                      > >layout? This may have something to do with it. For instance, you mentioned
                      > >the Faller layout board. Is this board plastic? If so, the glue may be
                      > >having
                      > >a hard time holding to it. Just a thought…
                      > >
                      > >Rob Kluz
                      > >Ztrack Magazine

                      > DON'T HATE YOUR RATE!
                      > Apply NOW!
                      >
                      > CraZy 'bout Zee!
                    • Jay & Anne Greer
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 11 1:46 PM
                        Hi Jeffrey,
                        Feel free. We all benefit from each others experiences. Added note here- I
                        build my sub road bed after the cutting of the foam core ballast bed. I use
                        corrigated box material for this purpose. It is easy to work and gives added
                        sound deadening. The ribs should run at same direction as the ties. This
                        gives the most strength. Simply lay your cut to curve bed on the cardboard,
                        again using the magic marker set for greater width. Cut this snake out and
                        build above your base board using cardboard pylons and hot glue. Very
                        little in life runs on the flat. So this system allows for filling in the
                        terrain between trackage with your favorite meterial in between. This gives
                        a more life like conture to the lay of the land.
                        Prozit,

                      • ztrack@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 12 6:31 AM
                          Jay,

                          Great idea with the foam core. I never thought of it. I use foam core for all
                          kinds of projects around the layout. Love the stuff! I will have to try it
                          out as roadbed sometime down the track…

                          Rob Kluz
                          Ztrack Magazine
                          <A HREF="http://www.ztrack.com">www.ztrack.com</A>
                        • Anders Lattermann
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 12 6:46 AM
                            Hi folks!

                            This is an email I really don't want to send, but I have finally
                            realized that don't have the time and energy to build the really big
                            layout I was dreaming of.

                            My new job is one big reason. I have therefor downsized my plans to
                            fit into the amount of time and energy I have. And in line with that
                            I am also thinning down my collection of Z-scale items and got some
                            things for sale:

                            http://www.lattermann.com/amaZing/

                            Best regards from Stockholm/Sweden!
                            /Anders Lattermann