Re: [z_scale] attn Bill Hoshiko

  • Bill Hoshiko
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2000
      Ole

      Thank you for your confidence in my soldering methods.

      There are many different ways to solder. I am only suggesting one way.

      Recently I have seen several posts where it is suggested that an iron of
      much higher watts may be better because you can quickly get in and get
      out before you melt any plastic ties or unsolder any previous joints.

      Years ago I used an iron with 250 watts. It worked well for me. Many
      of the modelers come from doing electronic component soldering and they
      are accustom to using low wattage soldering irons.

      I you join a group of model railroaders, you will find that each has his
      own idea of how to solder, how to use a paint sprayer, how to lay track,
      and how to do all the different things that we do in model railroading.
      None of them will be wrong as long as it accomplishes their goal.

      Try the method that I outlined and if it doesn't work well for you, try
      others. The best method is whatever works for you.

      Most first time solderer start with rosin core solder, making a mess.
      Use too much solder, and apply heat for much too long.

      The solder joint should not have a lump of solder. The cooled joint
      should be shiny and smooth. If is dull than you must redo it.

      Practice on various pieces of metals and find which works best for you.

      Soldering wires to wire our railroad is different from soldering track
      to PC ties.

      I don't believe than anyone ever got it right the first time. If they
      did, then they got it wrong the next 10 times. The first time was
      purely luck.

      Above all have fun. Don't forget that all of this is for entertainment?

      <:o))

      Bill
      El Toro