Re: busy: solder temp

  • Ed Scullin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2000
      Bill is correct. The higher the tin ration, the higher the melting
      point and also the higher the strength of "a well made joint". One
      thing to be carefull of is "cold solder joints". This usually occurs
      when the rail (or wire) moves as the solder is cooling. The joint will
      have about half strength if that happens. It usually has a frosted look
      rather than the solder being shiny. With rails, since we are trying to
      keep all the solder under the rail, a little to much heat is better than
      not enough, but not too much.
      It has been years since I went through the solder certification program
      and there are a lot of new things being used nowadays. New fluxes and
      solders (even lead free ones). One of the fluxes we use at work is a
      water based one, rather than having to use alchahol to clean up with.
      DEFINATLY stay away from the acid based fluxes. They are fine for
      plumbing pipes and such, but not hobby stuff or anything with circuit
      boards.
      Ed Scullin
    • Bill Hoshiko
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2000
        Thanks Ed,

        I knew that we would get someone who knew what he was talking about.

        Bill
        El Toro