Re: [z_scale] moving cars in Z-scale?

  • M. Gottschalch
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3, 2002
      Reynard Wellman wrote:

      > Hello Zeds,
      >
      > Yes, it's certainly possible. There's a couple in Colorado
      > who build these incredibly small train layouts
      > that run on a wire cable system. They are sold as a specialty
      > item. Chris Miller of Micro-Structures can tell you more
      > about them than I can since he owns one of these layouts.
      > But anyway a small track cable
      > system with little cars hooked onto the cables will work.
      >
      > It would be cool to see someone construct something
      > for small autos. I'd start out with HO scale just to test
      > it out then move into smaller scales after all the bugs
      > have been worked out.
      >
      > Reynard

      HO has a really neat system where the cars and trucks follow a wire
      embedded in the road (covered with paint and invisible). The front
      wheels steer around curves and corners and the vehicles even stop at red
      lights and behind buses without bumping into each other. They have
      working lights, brake lights and I have even heard of blinkers (in
      trucks and buses). The bad part is that the electronics and motors
      needed are just too big for Z.

      Heck if you really want to go all out then you can go with HO remote
      control trucks. Proportional steering and speed control yet even! I hear
      they run offroad trials with them in Europe. If they had that in a Z
      scale truck I would be very tempted to (blasphemy!) run a train on a
      circuit as background and have a lot of roads to drive the truck on.

      Climbing into my flame suit! :-)
      --
      Manfred G.
    • alisbuna
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
        I have been thinking about this for some time. It seems to me that
        all technological issues are already achieved. The Japanese already
        made very tiny cars moving over a coin.
        The nanotechnology could help on making very small programmable cars
        or remotely controlled.
        The biggest of them could be in z-scale.
        There are lots of moving possibilities in a z-scale layout. If
        "they"
        begin producing small things remotely controlled in a large scale,
        the small moving cars will be a kind in a universe of new gadgets.

        Moving cars, lots of small LED's, working cranes and so on.

        I think therefore I am.

        -ab
      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
          Hello Alisbuna,

          Yes, it is possible and I am sure that such items
          are being considered by those that have access to
          this technology. But I am certain that such an outfit
          is also looking at spreadsheets and comparing
          Development Cost vs. Retail Market Share.

          Personally, I probably won't be able to afford them.

          Best regards and good luck,
          Rey Wellman

          alisbuna wrote:

          > I have been thinking about this for some time. It seems to me that
          > all technological issues are already achieved. The Japanese already
          > made very tiny cars moving over a coin.
          > The nanotechnology could help on making very small programmable cars
          > or remotely controlled.
          > The biggest of them could be in z-scale.
          > There are lots of moving possibilities in a z-scale layout. If
          > "they"
          > begin producing small things remotely controlled in a large scale,
          > the small moving cars will be a kind in a universe of new gadgets.
          >
          > Moving cars, lots of small LED's, working cranes and so on.
          >
          > I think therefore I am.
          >
          > -ab

          > DoseZ!

        • Stuart Firth
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
            The active word is 'YET'.

            Regards,

            Stuart

          • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 20, 2002
              Dear Björn,

              yes, it is possible to show trucks or buses, i.e. larger vehicles (no cars),
              moving around on the roads of your layout.
              I saw this on two layouts at exhibitions in Cologne and Dortmund in Germany.

              There is an article on pages 26 and 27 with nice pictures in the issue 2/2002 of
              the Z-Info, a publication of the Z Club 92.
              Sorry, I have no technical means to send to you the article and pictures via
              e-mail.
              Please, either try to get hold of a copy from a member of Z Club 92 in your area
              or get to the home page of the club: http://www.zclub92.com

              I send a copy of this e-mail to Arnim v. Herff, a member of the editorial staff
              of this publication. He may contact you or help you, if possible.

              Regards

              Dieter

              Björn Aadnöy schrieb:
              > Has anybody tried to make the tiny z-cars moving? It would be nice to
              > discuss different ideas on this - it would shure ad a extra spice to
              > a layout.

              Dieter W. Nolte
              E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...