Re: moving cars in Z-scale?

  • Björn Aadnöy
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3, 2002
      Hi Jeffrey

      > Steve Dales (digisteve)is working on a system to add moving
      > automobiles to our "Z" layouts. I don't know how far along he is
      but
      > no doubt he'll come up with a workable design.

      It would be great to get a report from "Digisteve" on his plans. How
      can I reach him?

      Best regards,
      Bjorn, Westcoast of Sweden
    • M. Gottschalch
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 3, 2002
        Björn Aadnöy wrote:

        > Has anybody tried to make the tiny z-cars moving? It would be nice to
        > discuss different ideas on this - it would shure ad a extra spice to
        > a layout.

        I can remember about someone over in Germany I think was trying to get
        something like that going. He was trying to use paper cars and magnets
        under the street as a first test. I think very tiny ball bearings were
        pressed onto axles for wheels. I don't recall what ever happened to
        that. I can see using a heavy paper for the street and magnets in the
        cars and on a chain running under the street. That would give you cars
        going in one circuit that could even include curves and tunnels. I don't
        think it would look too good in a city because the circuit would be too
        small. I think the main problem was that the cars tended to jerk and
        jiggle quite a bit as they traveled.

        Another wat to do it would be to cut a slot down the middle of the
        street and use a pin on the car that would catch on the chain running
        under the street. Of course then you see the slot all the time and that
        would tend to detract a bit from the reality but the cars should run a
        lot smoother.
        --
        Manfred G.
      • M. Gottschalch
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 3, 2002
          Reynard Wellman wrote:

          > Hello Zeds,
          >
          > Yes, it's certainly possible. There's a couple in Colorado
          > who build these incredibly small train layouts
          > that run on a wire cable system. They are sold as a specialty
          > item. Chris Miller of Micro-Structures can tell you more
          > about them than I can since he owns one of these layouts.
          > But anyway a small track cable
          > system with little cars hooked onto the cables will work.
          >
          > It would be cool to see someone construct something
          > for small autos. I'd start out with HO scale just to test
          > it out then move into smaller scales after all the bugs
          > have been worked out.
          >
          > Reynard

          HO has a really neat system where the cars and trucks follow a wire
          embedded in the road (covered with paint and invisible). The front
          wheels steer around curves and corners and the vehicles even stop at red
          lights and behind buses without bumping into each other. They have
          working lights, brake lights and I have even heard of blinkers (in
          trucks and buses). The bad part is that the electronics and motors
          needed are just too big for Z.

          Heck if you really want to go all out then you can go with HO remote
          control trucks. Proportional steering and speed control yet even! I hear
          they run offroad trials with them in Europe. If they had that in a Z
          scale truck I would be very tempted to (blasphemy!) run a train on a
          circuit as background and have a lot of roads to drive the truck on.

          Climbing into my flame suit! :-)
          --
          Manfred G.
        • alisbuna
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
            I have been thinking about this for some time. It seems to me that
            all technological issues are already achieved. The Japanese already
            made very tiny cars moving over a coin.
            The nanotechnology could help on making very small programmable cars
            or remotely controlled.
            The biggest of them could be in z-scale.
            There are lots of moving possibilities in a z-scale layout. If
            "they"
            begin producing small things remotely controlled in a large scale,
            the small moving cars will be a kind in a universe of new gadgets.

            Moving cars, lots of small LED's, working cranes and so on.

            I think therefore I am.

            -ab
          • Reynard Wellman
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
              Hello Alisbuna,

              Yes, it is possible and I am sure that such items
              are being considered by those that have access to
              this technology. But I am certain that such an outfit
              is also looking at spreadsheets and comparing
              Development Cost vs. Retail Market Share.

              Personally, I probably won't be able to afford them.

              Best regards and good luck,
              Rey Wellman

              alisbuna wrote:

              > I have been thinking about this for some time. It seems to me that
              > all technological issues are already achieved. The Japanese already
              > made very tiny cars moving over a coin.
              > The nanotechnology could help on making very small programmable cars
              > or remotely controlled.
              > The biggest of them could be in z-scale.
              > There are lots of moving possibilities in a z-scale layout. If
              > "they"
              > begin producing small things remotely controlled in a large scale,
              > the small moving cars will be a kind in a universe of new gadgets.
              >
              > Moving cars, lots of small LED's, working cranes and so on.
              >
              > I think therefore I am.
              >
              > -ab

              > DoseZ!

            • Stuart Firth
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
                The active word is 'YET'.

                Regards,

                Stuart

              • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 20, 2002
                  Dear Björn,

                  yes, it is possible to show trucks or buses, i.e. larger vehicles (no cars),
                  moving around on the roads of your layout.
                  I saw this on two layouts at exhibitions in Cologne and Dortmund in Germany.

                  There is an article on pages 26 and 27 with nice pictures in the issue 2/2002 of
                  the Z-Info, a publication of the Z Club 92.
                  Sorry, I have no technical means to send to you the article and pictures via
                  e-mail.
                  Please, either try to get hold of a copy from a member of Z Club 92 in your area
                  or get to the home page of the club: http://www.zclub92.com

                  I send a copy of this e-mail to Arnim v. Herff, a member of the editorial staff
                  of this publication. He may contact you or help you, if possible.

                  Regards

                  Dieter

                  Björn Aadnöy schrieb:
                  > Has anybody tried to make the tiny z-cars moving? It would be nice to
                  > discuss different ideas on this - it would shure ad a extra spice to
                  > a layout.

                  Dieter W. Nolte
                  E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...