Re: [z_scale] moving cars in Z-scale?

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 2, 2002
      Hello Zeds,

      Yes, it's certainly possible. There's a couple in Colorado
      who build these incredibly small train layouts
      that run on a wire cable system. They are sold as a specialty
      item. Chris Miller of Micro-Structures can tell you more
      about them than I can since he owns one of these layouts.
      But anyway a small track cable
      system with little cars hooked onto the cables will work.

      It would be cool to see someone construct something
      for small autos. I'd start out with HO scale just to test
      it out then move into smaller scales after all the bugs
      have been worked out.

      Reynard

      David George wrote:

      > Bjorn,
      > Do you mean automobiles?
      > David G.
      > Björn Aadnöy wrote:Has anybody tried to make the tiny z-cars moving? It would be nice to
      > discuss different ideas on this - it would shure ad a extra spice to
      > a layout.
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Björn Aadnöy
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 3, 2002
        Hi Jeffrey

        > Steve Dales (digisteve)is working on a system to add moving
        > automobiles to our "Z" layouts. I don't know how far along he is
        but
        > no doubt he'll come up with a workable design.

        It would be great to get a report from "Digisteve" on his plans. How
        can I reach him?

        Best regards,
        Bjorn, Westcoast of Sweden
      • M. Gottschalch
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 3, 2002
          Björn Aadnöy wrote:

          > Has anybody tried to make the tiny z-cars moving? It would be nice to
          > discuss different ideas on this - it would shure ad a extra spice to
          > a layout.

          I can remember about someone over in Germany I think was trying to get
          something like that going. He was trying to use paper cars and magnets
          under the street as a first test. I think very tiny ball bearings were
          pressed onto axles for wheels. I don't recall what ever happened to
          that. I can see using a heavy paper for the street and magnets in the
          cars and on a chain running under the street. That would give you cars
          going in one circuit that could even include curves and tunnels. I don't
          think it would look too good in a city because the circuit would be too
          small. I think the main problem was that the cars tended to jerk and
          jiggle quite a bit as they traveled.

          Another wat to do it would be to cut a slot down the middle of the
          street and use a pin on the car that would catch on the chain running
          under the street. Of course then you see the slot all the time and that
          would tend to detract a bit from the reality but the cars should run a
          lot smoother.
          --
          Manfred G.
        • M. Gottschalch
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 3, 2002
            Reynard Wellman wrote:

            > Hello Zeds,
            >
            > Yes, it's certainly possible. There's a couple in Colorado
            > who build these incredibly small train layouts
            > that run on a wire cable system. They are sold as a specialty
            > item. Chris Miller of Micro-Structures can tell you more
            > about them than I can since he owns one of these layouts.
            > But anyway a small track cable
            > system with little cars hooked onto the cables will work.
            >
            > It would be cool to see someone construct something
            > for small autos. I'd start out with HO scale just to test
            > it out then move into smaller scales after all the bugs
            > have been worked out.
            >
            > Reynard

            HO has a really neat system where the cars and trucks follow a wire
            embedded in the road (covered with paint and invisible). The front
            wheels steer around curves and corners and the vehicles even stop at red
            lights and behind buses without bumping into each other. They have
            working lights, brake lights and I have even heard of blinkers (in
            trucks and buses). The bad part is that the electronics and motors
            needed are just too big for Z.

            Heck if you really want to go all out then you can go with HO remote
            control trucks. Proportional steering and speed control yet even! I hear
            they run offroad trials with them in Europe. If they had that in a Z
            scale truck I would be very tempted to (blasphemy!) run a train on a
            circuit as background and have a lot of roads to drive the truck on.

            Climbing into my flame suit! :-)
            --
            Manfred G.
          • alisbuna
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
              I have been thinking about this for some time. It seems to me that
              all technological issues are already achieved. The Japanese already
              made very tiny cars moving over a coin.
              The nanotechnology could help on making very small programmable cars
              or remotely controlled.
              The biggest of them could be in z-scale.
              There are lots of moving possibilities in a z-scale layout. If
              "they"
              begin producing small things remotely controlled in a large scale,
              the small moving cars will be a kind in a universe of new gadgets.

              Moving cars, lots of small LED's, working cranes and so on.

              I think therefore I am.

              -ab
            • Reynard Wellman
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
                Hello Alisbuna,

                Yes, it is possible and I am sure that such items
                are being considered by those that have access to
                this technology. But I am certain that such an outfit
                is also looking at spreadsheets and comparing
                Development Cost vs. Retail Market Share.

                Personally, I probably won't be able to afford them.

                Best regards and good luck,
                Rey Wellman

                alisbuna wrote:

                > I have been thinking about this for some time. It seems to me that
                > all technological issues are already achieved. The Japanese already
                > made very tiny cars moving over a coin.
                > The nanotechnology could help on making very small programmable cars
                > or remotely controlled.
                > The biggest of them could be in z-scale.
                > There are lots of moving possibilities in a z-scale layout. If
                > "they"
                > begin producing small things remotely controlled in a large scale,
                > the small moving cars will be a kind in a universe of new gadgets.
                >
                > Moving cars, lots of small LED's, working cranes and so on.
                >
                > I think therefore I am.
                >
                > -ab

                > DoseZ!

              • Stuart Firth
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
                  The active word is 'YET'.

                  Regards,

                  Stuart

                • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 20, 2002
                    Dear Björn,

                    yes, it is possible to show trucks or buses, i.e. larger vehicles (no cars),
                    moving around on the roads of your layout.
                    I saw this on two layouts at exhibitions in Cologne and Dortmund in Germany.

                    There is an article on pages 26 and 27 with nice pictures in the issue 2/2002 of
                    the Z-Info, a publication of the Z Club 92.
                    Sorry, I have no technical means to send to you the article and pictures via
                    e-mail.
                    Please, either try to get hold of a copy from a member of Z Club 92 in your area
                    or get to the home page of the club: http://www.zclub92.com

                    I send a copy of this e-mail to Arnim v. Herff, a member of the editorial staff
                    of this publication. He may contact you or help you, if possible.

                    Regards

                    Dieter

                    Björn Aadnöy schrieb:
                    > Has anybody tried to make the tiny z-cars moving? It would be nice to
                    > discuss different ideas on this - it would shure ad a extra spice to
                    > a layout.

                    Dieter W. Nolte
                    E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...