moving cars in Z-scale?

  • Björn Aadnöy
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 2 2:01 PM
      Has anybody tried to make the tiny z-cars moving? It would be nice to
      discuss different ideas on this - it would shure ad a extra spice to
      a layout.
    • David George
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 2 2:28 PM
        Bjorn,
        Do you mean automobiles?
        David G.
        Bj�rn Aadn�y wrote:Has anybody tried to make the tiny z-cars moving? It would be nice to
        discuss different ideas on this - it would shure ad a extra spice to
        a layout.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • jmac_han
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 2 3:32 PM
          Hi Bjorn,

          Steve Dales (digisteve)is working on a system to add moving
          automobiles to our "Z" layouts. I don't know how far along he is but
          no doubt he'll come up with a workable design.

          Cheers,
          Jeffrey

          --- In z_scale@y..., David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:

          > Bjorn,
          > Do you mean automobiles?
          > David G.
        • Nelson Snedeker
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 2 3:59 PM
            Hi Bjorn: Yes it has been done but maybe not in "Z" yet. Here are
            some ways it was done in other modes and my reaction to each

            1 . On moving belts. YUCK!!!
            2. Magnets on moving chain or belt under the track. KINDA Cool
            3. Magnets on car on track under roadway with sweet curves and
            even up and down hills Loved that one but lots of work involved

            Happy "Z"ing Nel

            Björn Aadnöy wrote:

            > Has anybody tried to make the tiny z-cars moving? It would be nice to
            >
            > discuss different ideas on this - it would shure ad a extra spice to
            > a layout.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            > DoseZ!

          • Reynard Wellman
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 2 9:44 PM
              Hello Zeds,

              Yes, it's certainly possible. There's a couple in Colorado
              who build these incredibly small train layouts
              that run on a wire cable system. They are sold as a specialty
              item. Chris Miller of Micro-Structures can tell you more
              about them than I can since he owns one of these layouts.
              But anyway a small track cable
              system with little cars hooked onto the cables will work.

              It would be cool to see someone construct something
              for small autos. I'd start out with HO scale just to test
              it out then move into smaller scales after all the bugs
              have been worked out.

              Reynard

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 3 7:00 AM
                Hi Jeffrey

                > Steve Dales (digisteve)is working on a system to add moving
                > automobiles to our "Z" layouts. I don't know how far along he is
                but
                > no doubt he'll come up with a workable design.

                It would be great to get a report from "Digisteve" on his plans. How
                can I reach him?

                Best regards,
                Bjorn, Westcoast of Sweden
              • M. Gottschalch
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 3 7:16 AM
                  Björn Aadnöy wrote:

                  > Has anybody tried to make the tiny z-cars moving? It would be nice to
                  > discuss different ideas on this - it would shure ad a extra spice to
                  > a layout.

                  I can remember about someone over in Germany I think was trying to get
                  something like that going. He was trying to use paper cars and magnets
                  under the street as a first test. I think very tiny ball bearings were
                  pressed onto axles for wheels. I don't recall what ever happened to
                  that. I can see using a heavy paper for the street and magnets in the
                  cars and on a chain running under the street. That would give you cars
                  going in one circuit that could even include curves and tunnels. I don't
                  think it would look too good in a city because the circuit would be too
                  small. I think the main problem was that the cars tended to jerk and
                  jiggle quite a bit as they traveled.

                  Another wat to do it would be to cut a slot down the middle of the
                  street and use a pin on the car that would catch on the chain running
                  under the street. Of course then you see the slot all the time and that
                  would tend to detract a bit from the reality but the cars should run a
                  lot smoother.
                  --
                  Manfred G.
                • M. Gottschalch
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 3 8:46 AM
                    Reynard Wellman wrote:

                    > Hello Zeds,
                    >
                    > Yes, it's certainly possible. There's a couple in Colorado
                    > who build these incredibly small train layouts
                    > that run on a wire cable system. They are sold as a specialty
                    > item. Chris Miller of Micro-Structures can tell you more
                    > about them than I can since he owns one of these layouts.
                    > But anyway a small track cable
                    > system with little cars hooked onto the cables will work.
                    >
                    > It would be cool to see someone construct something
                    > for small autos. I'd start out with HO scale just to test
                    > it out then move into smaller scales after all the bugs
                    > have been worked out.
                    >
                    > Reynard

                    HO has a really neat system where the cars and trucks follow a wire
                    embedded in the road (covered with paint and invisible). The front
                    wheels steer around curves and corners and the vehicles even stop at red
                    lights and behind buses without bumping into each other. They have
                    working lights, brake lights and I have even heard of blinkers (in
                    trucks and buses). The bad part is that the electronics and motors
                    needed are just too big for Z.

                    Heck if you really want to go all out then you can go with HO remote
                    control trucks. Proportional steering and speed control yet even! I hear
                    they run offroad trials with them in Europe. If they had that in a Z
                    scale truck I would be very tempted to (blasphemy!) run a train on a
                    circuit as background and have a lot of roads to drive the truck on.

                    Climbing into my flame suit! :-)
                    --
                    Manfred G.
                  • alisbuna
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 8 4:09 AM
                      I have been thinking about this for some time. It seems to me that
                      all technological issues are already achieved. The Japanese already
                      made very tiny cars moving over a coin.
                      The nanotechnology could help on making very small programmable cars
                      or remotely controlled.
                      The biggest of them could be in z-scale.
                      There are lots of moving possibilities in a z-scale layout. If
                      "they"
                      begin producing small things remotely controlled in a large scale,
                      the small moving cars will be a kind in a universe of new gadgets.

                      Moving cars, lots of small LED's, working cranes and so on.

                      I think therefore I am.

                      -ab
                    • Reynard Wellman
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 8 6:46 AM
                        Hello Alisbuna,

                        Yes, it is possible and I am sure that such items
                        are being considered by those that have access to
                        this technology. But I am certain that such an outfit
                        is also looking at spreadsheets and comparing
                        Development Cost vs. Retail Market Share.

                        Personally, I probably won't be able to afford them.

                        Best regards and good luck,
                        Rey Wellman

                        alisbuna wrote:

                        > I have been thinking about this for some time. It seems to me that
                        > all technological issues are already achieved. The Japanese already
                        > made very tiny cars moving over a coin.
                        > The nanotechnology could help on making very small programmable cars
                        > or remotely controlled.
                        > The biggest of them could be in z-scale.
                        > There are lots of moving possibilities in a z-scale layout. If
                        > "they"
                        > begin producing small things remotely controlled in a large scale,
                        > the small moving cars will be a kind in a universe of new gadgets.
                        >
                        > Moving cars, lots of small LED's, working cranes and so on.
                        >
                        > I think therefore I am.
                        >
                        > -ab

                        > DoseZ!

                      • Stuart Firth
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 8 6:49 AM
                          The active word is 'YET'.

                          Regards,

                          Stuart

                        • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 20 1:04 PM
                            Dear Björn,

                            yes, it is possible to show trucks or buses, i.e. larger vehicles (no cars),
                            moving around on the roads of your layout.
                            I saw this on two layouts at exhibitions in Cologne and Dortmund in Germany.

                            There is an article on pages 26 and 27 with nice pictures in the issue 2/2002 of
                            the Z-Info, a publication of the Z Club 92.
                            Sorry, I have no technical means to send to you the article and pictures via
                            e-mail.
                            Please, either try to get hold of a copy from a member of Z Club 92 in your area
                            or get to the home page of the club: http://www.zclub92.com

                            I send a copy of this e-mail to Arnim v. Herff, a member of the editorial staff
                            of this publication. He may contact you or help you, if possible.

                            Regards

                            Dieter

                            Björn Aadnöy schrieb:
                            > Has anybody tried to make the tiny z-cars moving? It would be nice to
                            > discuss different ideas on this - it would shure ad a extra spice to
                            > a layout.

                            Dieter W. Nolte
                            E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...