Re: Questions, questions...

  • bean51ca
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
      As my layout is still in the pre-scenery construction phase and most
      of my engines and rolling stock inhabit a display case most of the
      time, I find there is one big question asked by non-model railroaders
      when they see my little locomotives.

      "Do those actually run???"

      Then they get a look of absolute fascination on their face as I
      explain that yup, they run quite well and give them a quick demo. I
      guess while most model-railroaders have heard of Z or seen it
      somewhere in a magazine, others are just still amazed at how
      something so small can have a working motor in it.

      Chris

    • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
        This is a bit off topic but it seems like an appropriate deviation:

        November 15th is the annual "Bring your train to Work Day" (Greatest
        American Hobby Campaign)

        Last year I had quite a bit off success with this.

        I had some Z, some N, some HO and some G gauge items and track around to
        show the difference in sizes....Of course, the only OPERATING train was in
        Z scale...and even though it was an unscenicked double oval, people thought
        it was cool. I could tell that some thought I was a dork....but I love
        when that happens. :)

        I plan to do the same thing this year, with a less un-scenicked board.

        Anyway - My point was supposed to be that you can think about this - and
        have time to put something together for it.

        Tootles.

        "Jeremy Brandon"
        <Jeremy.Brandon@t To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
        -online.de> cc:
        Subject: [z_scale] Re: Questions, questions...
        10/01/2002 02:05
        AM
        Please respond to
        z_scale

        --- In z_scale@y..., "jmac_han" <jmac_han@y...> wrote:
        > What are the most frequent questions that people ask about "Z" and
        > your modelling interests?

        In Germany (where I guess more people have seen Z before) the most
        common question is:
        "Where can I get those little cars/people/trees/houses?"
        We try to point them at another stand so they don't feel tempted to
        help themselves from our layout! No! The serious point is that even
        though the main manufacturers might be known, the manufacturers of z-
        accessories are hardly known at all.

        Other questions are:
        "Does the overhead catenary work?"
        "How do you keep the track so clean?" (Yes, really!)
        "How can you run such long trains?"

        I shall keep my ears open at the next exhibition in November.
        Jeremy.

      • jmac_han
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
          Continuing on the "Does that work" theme...

          I also get many "Does the turntable work?" and "How do you put the
          trains on the track?" or it's corollary, "How do you keep the trains
          on the track?"

          Jeffrey

          --- In z_scale@y..., "bean51ca" <chriscam@s...> wrote:
          I find there is one big question asked by non-model railroaders
          > when they see my little locomotives.
          >
          > "Do those actually run???"
          >
          > Then they get a look of absolute fascination on their face as I
          > explain that yup, they run quite well and give them a quick demo. I
          > guess while most model-railroaders have heard of Z or seen it
          > somewhere in a magazine, others are just still amazed at how
          > something so small can have a working motor in it.
          >
          > Chris
        • jmac_han
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 8, 2002
            Just got back from a wonderful train meet in Calgary, Alberta. The
            shipping crate that I built for Val Ease West did it's job
            perfectly. Now I know I can ship the layout as checked baggage if
            necessary.

            There were at least a dozen enthusiastic "z" scalers at the meet who
            were excited by the news that there are other fanatics out there.
            The questions that were asked the most often were:

            "Where can you find Z items that won't bankrupt you?"
            Of course I suggested that they join Z_Scale and connect with our
            highly regarded vendors.

            "Wouldn't it be nice if we had DCC for "Z" scale?"
            Imagine their surprise when I explained that there is a growing
            interest in Z-DCC and that decoders are available for our locomotives.

            Cheers,
            Jeffrey MacHan
            Chief Imagineer - VECRR