Questions, questions...

  • jmac_han
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002
      Hi Gang,

      I'm doing some research for a future article tentatively called, "The
      Top 10 Questions About Z-Scale" or "I'm Glad You Asked!"

      Here's my question to Z_Scale members who have taken layouts or
      modules to trainshows or who have had visitors to home layouts.

      What are the most frequent questions that people ask about "Z" and
      your modelling interests?

      My most frequent question is definitely, "How much did that cost
      (meaning how much did I spend to build the VECRR). This is not
      necessarily a question that would be appropriate for an article but
      the question, "How much more expensive is "Z" than other scales?" is
      certainly in the top 10.

      If you like, please tell us about some of the less frequent but
      perhaps more unusual questions you have had the pleasure of fielding
      as a "Z" scaler.

      This little bit of research will be considered for an article for the
      NMRA Bulletin and as a handout that can be shared with visitors to Z
      displays at shows and other venues.

      Enjoy your trainZ,
      Jeffrey MacHan
    • David George
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002
        "How can you see and handle such small trains?
        Answer: I get a little help from drugstore magnifying/reading glasses,Plus, the more you work with these beauties the "BIGGER" they seem to get to your perception. In this case , "Familiarity breeds Magnification'.

        David G.
        Spring,Tx.
        jmac_han wrote: Hi Gang,

      • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002
          Seems like the top two questions are similar no matter where you
          are....Cost and dexterity related issues.

          Another one I have gotten is, "What is the best way to start out in Z?"

          I generally mention a Marklin starter set, or a MT DeskTop Railroad set
          with a small transformer. Modified for kids, un-modified OK for adults.

          Z scale is the only scale I generally recommend a starter set for....

          jmac_han
          <jmac_han@yahoo.c To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
          om> cc:
          Subject: [z_scale] Questions, questions...
          09/30/2002 01:00
          PM
          Please respond to
          z_scale

[...]

        • Rick & Patsy Duncan
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002
            At our train club open house I have my Z-scale layout (2 ft. x 4 ft.)
            displayed next to my Lionel layout. When asked about the price of one
            or the other, I usually make a comment to the effect that engines and
            cars for both cost about the same.

            Rick

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
              --- In z_scale@y..., "jmac_han" <jmac_han@y...> wrote:
              > What are the most frequent questions that people ask about "Z" and
              > your modelling interests?

              In Germany (where I guess more people have seen Z before) the most
              common question is:
              "Where can I get those little cars/people/trees/houses?"
              We try to point them at another stand so they don't feel tempted to
              help themselves from our layout! No! The serious point is that even
              though the main manufacturers might be known, the manufacturers of z-
              accessories are hardly known at all.

              Other questions are:
              "Does the overhead catenary work?"
              "How do you keep the track so clean?" (Yes, really!)
              "How can you run such long trains?"

              I shall keep my ears open at the next exhibition in November.
              Jeremy.
            • bean51ca
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
                As my layout is still in the pre-scenery construction phase and most
                of my engines and rolling stock inhabit a display case most of the
                time, I find there is one big question asked by non-model railroaders
                when they see my little locomotives.

                "Do those actually run???"

                Then they get a look of absolute fascination on their face as I
                explain that yup, they run quite well and give them a quick demo. I
                guess while most model-railroaders have heard of Z or seen it
                somewhere in a magazine, others are just still amazed at how
                something so small can have a working motor in it.

                Chris

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
                  This is a bit off topic but it seems like an appropriate deviation:

                  November 15th is the annual "Bring your train to Work Day" (Greatest
                  American Hobby Campaign)

                  Last year I had quite a bit off success with this.

                  I had some Z, some N, some HO and some G gauge items and track around to
                  show the difference in sizes....Of course, the only OPERATING train was in
                  Z scale...and even though it was an unscenicked double oval, people thought
                  it was cool. I could tell that some thought I was a dork....but I love
                  when that happens. :)

                  I plan to do the same thing this year, with a less un-scenicked board.

                  Anyway - My point was supposed to be that you can think about this - and
                  have time to put something together for it.

                  Tootles.

                  "Jeremy Brandon"
                  <Jeremy.Brandon@t To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                  -online.de> cc:
                  Subject: [z_scale] Re: Questions, questions...
                  10/01/2002 02:05
                  AM
                  Please respond to
                  z_scale

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
                    Continuing on the "Does that work" theme...

                    I also get many "Does the turntable work?" and "How do you put the
                    trains on the track?" or it's corollary, "How do you keep the trains
                    on the track?"

                    Jeffrey

                    --- In z_scale@y..., "bean51ca" <chriscam@s...> wrote:
                    I find there is one big question asked by non-model railroaders
                    > when they see my little locomotives.
                    >
                    > "Do those actually run???"
                    >
                    > Then they get a look of absolute fascination on their face as I
                    > explain that yup, they run quite well and give them a quick demo. I
                    > guess while most model-railroaders have heard of Z or seen it
                    > somewhere in a magazine, others are just still amazed at how
                    > something so small can have a working motor in it.
                    >
                    > Chris
                  • jmac_han
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 8, 2002
                      Just got back from a wonderful train meet in Calgary, Alberta. The
                      shipping crate that I built for Val Ease West did it's job
                      perfectly. Now I know I can ship the layout as checked baggage if
                      necessary.

                      There were at least a dozen enthusiastic "z" scalers at the meet who
                      were excited by the news that there are other fanatics out there.
                      The questions that were asked the most often were:

                      "Where can you find Z items that won't bankrupt you?"
                      Of course I suggested that they join Z_Scale and connect with our
                      highly regarded vendors.

                      "Wouldn't it be nice if we had DCC for "Z" scale?"
                      Imagine their surprise when I explained that there is a growing
                      interest in Z-DCC and that decoders are available for our locomotives.

                      Cheers,
                      Jeffrey MacHan
                      Chief Imagineer - VECRR