Re: [z_scale] Rockville Lions Train Show

  • Ell Geib
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2002
      I am a little disappointed. After 8 days I have not heard from
      anyone. I thought many of you wished to show your layouts and promote
      z-scale. Rather than just contacting me directly, how about responses
      to the group.

      Ell Geib

    • Pasowl@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 11, 2002
        In a message dated 9/11/02 11:20:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time, geib@...
        writes:

        > I am a little disappointed. After 8 days I have not heard from
        > anyone. I thought many of you wished to show your layouts and promote
        > z-scale. Rather than just contacting me directly, how about responses
        > to the group.
        >
        > Ell Geib

        Ell,
        Sorry not to get back to you (I did mean to) but I went through surgery last
        week and it has been a struggle to bounce back from it this time. I'm still
        waiting test results and stitches removed, etc.

        I doubt if I can have my layout available by then but if anyone would like an
        extra set of eyes to keep an eye on what they might bring please let me know,
        I would love to come and participate however I can. It would probably only be
        one of the two days due to cost of lodging if I stayed there for the whole
        weekend.

        If you have a flyer or anything concerning this show I would love to have a
        copy for my information. I live in Spotsylvania, VA so Rockville is a
        possibility although not right around the corner. :-). I could bring some WGH
        flyers and I still have a little Marklin information left also that could be
        provided as passouts if it was permissible.

        My doctors will be setting up followup appointments for me after the test
        results are back so let me know if there's interest and I will "reserve" that
        day/weekend "vicinity" to help out if it would be desired. Please keep me in
        touch if you would.
        Thanks,
        Pete Shatswell
        Night Owl Railways

      • Randy Smidt
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 21, 2004
          I am happy to report that last weekend, DEC 13 & 14, the Washington, DC Z-Bend Track group participated in the 14th annual Rockville (MD) Lions Club Train Show. We displayed about 14 feet of new modules that had never been out to a show before. We were in a "Z room" with fellow list member and host/organizer emeritus Ell Geib displaying his 2'x3 1/2' layout and Susan Shrader with her dollhouse layout. Susan's layout features one side that is a regular Z scale layout with all sorts of animation and sound effects that goes into a mountain tunnel and comes out of the other side inside a dollhouse and runs around a christmas tree. The inside of the house also features a smaller tabletop dollhouse size model of a model railroad similar to the 1/900th scale tiny trains.

          I believe Ell said that over 1000 people came through the show to see all scales from G to Z (except TT and OO). On Saturday Bob Axtell, Art Bildman, Bill Marsh and Randy Smidt set up and ran trains. On Sunday, Art Bildman, Bryan and Bret Keyser, Father Merkle and Randy Smidt ran trains and tore down the moduels to go home.
          Art also displayed his semi-automated and lighted 2 1/2'x6' display layout. This side attraction helped us run trains while we were having difficulty with the modules on Saturday morning. Having these new modules out reminded me of a bunch of train show lessons learned that I will post some time this week.

          Our next show will be the B&O Museum Holiday Festival of Trains on December 11th and 12th in Baltimore. We will be meeting the weekend before the show to get everything ready and test run.

          Thanks,
          Randy Smidt
          Springfield, VA
        • ellgeib
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2009
            The 19th Annual Rockville Lions Train Show will is on Nov. 7 & 8, 2009 in Rockville, Maryland. This is a non-vendor display show with six (6) large rooms with model trains from Z to G. The hours are Sat. 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. and Sun. Noon - 4 p.m. This show is a fundraiser for the Rockville Lions Club.

            Of particular interest to this group: DC_Z-Bend_Track will be there with many of their modules, and I will have a 2 ft x 4 ft standalone Z layout.

            Z-scale has been represented at this show since its beginning.

            I have posted a flyer for the show in the Photo section in the folder "Ell Geib". The flyer has a map to the show.

            Consider coming if you are in the Washington, DC area that weekend. It's a good show.

            Ell Geib