Re: Noch Briefcase Layout?

  • fzifzi
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5, 2002
      Hi Ron!

      Look at my pictures of my briefcase layout "Liebenzell" (I call
      it "Mariensee") at: http://www.astro.univie.ac.at/~fzi/z/ (sorry for
      the german text). All pictures of my rolling stock and so
      are done on it. You can add alot to these layouts, weather and
      detail them. Its really fun to take it abroad and show it
      to friends.

      Cheers
      Franz

      --- In z_scale@y..., "pavementdoc" <rredpen@c...> wrote:
      > I am contemplating buying myself a pre-retirement gift. The gift
      > have in mind is new (2002) Noch briefcase layout (Tirol – Winter
      > Scene). I have seen a Noch briefcase layout only once – was many
      > years ago at a long-departed Great American Train Store near
      Myrtle
      > Beach, SC. Does anyone have any knowledge, experience, or
      comments
      > regarding these layouts? I know they are very expensive and I
      could
      > use the money for 2 brass engines, 4 or 5 Marklin starter sets,
      one
      > root canal, etc, etc. What I am seeking is opinions on aesthetics
      and
      > built quality, not monetary value. Thanks in advance for any
      > feedback.
      >
      > Ron
    • David George
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5, 2002
        My dealer(Spring Crossing)in Spring,Texas has two Nochs on display. He has
        tracked them and added some structure. I do all of my own constructing of
        modular layouts and enjoy it, but I would not hesitate to recommend the
        purchase of a Noch .They are simple to complete and are very satisfying to
        the operator who wants to enjoy seeing our beauties chug around through a
        nice scene.
        David G.
        Spring,TX.
        --- pavementdoc <rredpen@...> wrote:
        > I am contemplating buying myself a pre-retirement gift. The gift I
        > have in mind is new (2002) Noch briefcase layout (Tirol � Winter
        > Scene). I have seen a Noch briefcase layout only once � was many
        > years ago at a long-departed Great American Train Store near Myrtle
        > Beach, SC. Does anyone have any knowledge, experience, or comments
        > regarding these layouts? I know they are very expensive and I could
        > use the money for 2 brass engines, 4 or 5 Marklin starter sets, one
        > root canal, etc, etc. What I am seeking is opinions on aesthetics and
        > built quality, not monetary value. Thanks in advance for any
        > feedback.
        >
        > Ron

      • wildger2001
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5, 2002
          I presumed that you were asking about the 100% already made briefcast
          layout, and not the ones which you have to add in the tracks and
          building. My only experience is the 88091 which I owned. Since all
          these layouts are made by hands. The quality really depends on the
          person who makes them. Generally, the quality is very good until you
          look with a magnifying glass for the details. They are not perfect. I
          feel that the Marklin counterpart is better. The picture does not show
          everything. Even with the simple layout in 88091. The two loops have
          an incline which makes a small loco difficult to run sometimes.
          I actually post a detailed review on this forum on the Noch 88091. For
          reasons unclear, I cannot find it anymore, probably deleted by the
          owner. I am known to have a "bad" altitude.
          Please give me an email if you have further questions. It is hard to
          re-type all my comments again on the Noch layout.
        • jmac_han
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 5, 2002
            A search of the message archive using wildger2001 as the
            keyword brought up several references to Noch layouts. The
            following link seems to lead to the message that you are
            referring to:

            Cheers,
            Jeffrey MacHan

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 5, 2002
              NO. There is another message I posted sometimes ago regarding the Noch
              88091. It came in two parts. They could not be found. At that time,
              there was some problem with Yahoo. Any messages were delayed in
              posting and I have never seen mine.
            • Frank Daniels
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 10, 2002
                I wouldn't call your experiences with the Noch layouts
                bad attitude, but there are certain layouts by Noch
                that can be trying for locos (Sonnenalpe).

                This is why the Tirol (summer version is Tessin) was
                created. Noch wished to remove harsh grades and tight
                radii. That is the word directly from Noch to me when
                they introduced the Tirol in February 2002.

                I have a few of the cases in stock (not the Tirol case,
                but I do have Tessin/Tirol bare boards) and have actually
                run one. The locos run quite well on these layouts from
                my experience.

                Frank Daniels
                z.scale.hobo