Re: [z_scale] Z digital

  • John Jabour
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2002
      Gavin
      I'm not sure what your asking for but let me give it a try.
      To start with you need some track ( a simple circle will do).
      Next you need a DCC starter set (such as a Zephyr or Empire Builder
      or a Chief - if you decide to go with Digitrax). You can buy these
      online from a number of places (including Loys Toys or Tony's Train
      Exchange). Next you need a power supply (your old train controller
      will do or you can buy a new one). You put AC from a power pack into
      the DCC booster. And lastly you need an engine. If it has a DCC
      decoder in it it will run better but you can run 1 engine without a
      DCC decoder (this is called analog mode). To put a decoder into a
      Z scale engine you should use a small decoder like a Lenz 0521
      or a Digitrax DZ143. You can use different brands of decoders with
      different DCC starter sets. There is a FAQ on this list that tells you how
      to put a decoder in a F7. Putting it in a Marklin is a little easier than
      a Micro Trains but both are pretty easy.
      Hope this helps
      John
      PS Marklin Digital is for their HO line and no part of it can can be
      used for Z scale. What you want is NMRA DCC not Marklin
      proprietary DCC.

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2002
        Thank you so much for all the advice to everyone who's helped
        and taken the time out to write to me here or personally. I've
        definitely learnt a lot and will be soaking up more at the DCC
        group. Thanks,

        Gavin
        P.S. once again if anyone lives in South East Asia, please feel
        free to contact me. There's a great z shop in Singapore and I
        have a few addresses of shops in Tokyo (that I just go back
        from).