Z digital

  • zoooctan
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2002
      Hello all. I've been dabbling in z now for about 7 months and am
      about to complete my first layout. I think I have read sufficiently
      almost everything I could get my mouse on over the net on Z. But
      lately I've been particularly intrigued by Z digital and what it can
      do. I know a lot of people have written about it's advantageous
      and some have written about how in detail to solder a circuit
      board onto a loco, but I haven't had much luck finding out a true
      ABC on how to get started on Z. I mean, stuff like what
      decoders? can I use my old transformers? Can I use some of
      Marklin's HO digital stuff? Apart from getting the circuit boards
      (from Digitrax), what else is necessary? Sorry for rambling guys,
      it's just that I'm from Singapore and there really doesn't seem to
      be much knowledge in my region about the first thing about
      getting started. If anyone can help or you're willing to share or
      you're from Singapore( or nearby) that'll be much appreciated.
      But please don't point me to articles around the net like zscale or
      z220, etc...been there, done that. Really neat the nuts and bolts.
      Oh and if you know of any online shops that have almost "like a
      starter kit" for z digital, that'll be fantastic.
      Once again, really sorry for the long rant. Please contact me
      privately if you need to.

      Thanks very much for this space and in advance.
      Gavin Hall
    • ahellary
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2002
        hi there

        the decoders(to put in your locos) are the dz143 from digitrax this is the
        new updated dz121 it has allsoets of goodies

        as for using your old controlers the new zepher system from digitrax allows
        you to use one of your old controlers as a scond throttle dcc needs a good
        transformer say 5 amps at 16v ac but for z you dont need that much if your
        only running a few locos at one time but as you add more things like point
        controll and signals then the current requirement goes up.

        tony the mad uk z'er
        > Hello all. I've been dabbling in z now for about 7 months and am
        > about to complete my first layout. I think I have read sufficiently
        > almost everything I could get my mouse on over the net on Z. But
        > lately I've been particularly intrigued by Z digital and what it can
        > do. I know a lot of people have written about it's advantageous
        > and some have written about how in detail to solder a circuit
        > board onto a loco, but I haven't had much luck finding out a true
        > ABC on how to get started on Z. I mean, stuff like what
        > decoders? can I use my old transformers? Can I use some of
        > Marklin's HO digital stuff? Apart from getting the circuit boards
        > (from Digitrax), what else is necessary? Sorry for rambling guys,
        > it's just that I'm from Singapore and there really doesn't seem to
        > be much knowledge in my region about the first thing about
        > getting started. If anyone can help or you're willing to share or
        > you're from Singapore( or nearby) that'll be much appreciated.
        > But please don't point me to articles around the net like zscale or
        > z220, etc...been there, done that. Really neat the nuts and bolts.
        > Oh and if you know of any online shops that have almost "like a
        > starter kit" for z digital, that'll be fantastic.
        > Once again, really sorry for the long rant. Please contact me
        > privately if you need to.
        >
        > Thanks very much for this space and in advance.
        > Gavin Hall

      • James Owens
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2002
          Hi Gavin,

          The way digital works, in basic terms, is that the controller superimposes the control signals (instructions) on top of the voltage applied to the track which the decoder decodes. This is why it is possible to have a number of trains going in different direction on the same track.

          It would be possible to use one of your controllers powering the track but it would have to be of large current. I am not an expert in this area but I would think most digital controllers come with their own power supply.

          Regards,

          Terry

[...]

        • John Jabour
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2002
            Gavin
            I'm not sure what your asking for but let me give it a try.
            To start with you need some track ( a simple circle will do).
            Next you need a DCC starter set (such as a Zephyr or Empire Builder
            or a Chief - if you decide to go with Digitrax). You can buy these
            online from a number of places (including Loys Toys or Tony's Train
            Exchange). Next you need a power supply (your old train controller
            will do or you can buy a new one). You put AC from a power pack into
            the DCC booster. And lastly you need an engine. If it has a DCC
            decoder in it it will run better but you can run 1 engine without a
            DCC decoder (this is called analog mode). To put a decoder into a
            Z scale engine you should use a small decoder like a Lenz 0521
            or a Digitrax DZ143. You can use different brands of decoders with
            different DCC starter sets. There is a FAQ on this list that tells you how
            to put a decoder in a F7. Putting it in a Marklin is a little easier than
            a Micro Trains but both are pretty easy.
            Hope this helps
            John
            PS Marklin Digital is for their HO line and no part of it can can be
            used for Z scale. What you want is NMRA DCC not Marklin
            proprietary DCC.

            > Hello all. I've been dabbling in z now for about 7 months and am
            > about to complete my first layout. I think I have read sufficiently
            > almost everything I could get my mouse on over the net on Z. But
            > lately I've been particularly intrigued by Z digital and what it can
            > do. I know a lot of people have written about it's advantageous
            > and some have written about how in detail to solder a circuit
            > board onto a loco, but I haven't had much luck finding out a true
            > ABC on how to get started on Z. I mean, stuff like what
            > decoders? can I use my old transformers? Can I use some of
            > Marklin's HO digital stuff? Apart from getting the circuit boards
            > (from Digitrax), what else is necessary? Sorry for rambling guys,
            > it's just that I'm from Singapore and there really doesn't seem to
            > be much knowledge in my region about the first thing about
            > getting started. If anyone can help or you're willing to share or
            > you're from Singapore( or nearby) that'll be much appreciated.
            > But please don't point me to articles around the net like zscale or
            > z220, etc...been there, done that. Really neat the nuts and bolts.
            > Oh and if you know of any online shops that have almost "like a
            > starter kit" for z digital, that'll be fantastic.
            > Once again, really sorry for the long rant. Please contact me
            > privately if you need to.
            >
            > Thanks very much for this space and in advance.
            > Gavin Hall

          • zoooctan
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2002
              Thank you so much for all the advice to everyone who's helped
              and taken the time out to write to me here or personally. I've
              definitely learnt a lot and will be soaking up more at the DCC
              group. Thanks,

              Gavin
              P.S. once again if anyone lives in South East Asia, please feel
              free to contact me. There's a great z shop in Singapore and I
              have a few addresses of shops in Tokyo (that I just go back
              from).