Affordable Marklin kit

  • Chris Sheldrake
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2002
      Hi Terry, Welcome to the list.

      I bought lots of German HO and HOm when I lived in Germany more than 20
      years ago and prices were a bit of a shock when I decided to build a Z
      layout a couple of years ago.

      Turnouts seemed to be a particular problem and grossly overpriced from all
      suppliers.

      I went back to my old German supplier in Wuppertal who now has an Internet
      sales site and very keen prices.

      I rapidly found the only way to buy Z is to buy Marklin's starter sets ( I
      now have 6 ). These are extremely good value and contain everything you
      need. One of mine even had a station kit in it.

      The holiday fun set 81520 is also a good bet as it costs only about £30 (
      $45 ). This has an 0-6-0 steam locomotive, wagon, loop of track, and a
      battery controller all in a tiny transparent "suitcase" less than 5" x 4" !
      The controller is only a battery box with an on/off/reverse switch but there
      is a circuit available on the net to convert it to a variable controller.

      The larger starter sets have heavy electric ort steam loco, 5-6 goods
      wagons, mains transformer, large loop of track, passing loop ( with two
      motorised turnouts ) and a siding ( motorised double slip ) All for the
      price of the locomotive and the wagons. There are no passenger starter sets
      at the moment but via this internet group I have bought 20 passenger coaches
      and some more locomotives in perfect condition. They are available in both
      110 and 240v.

      Track

      Peco track is extremely well made and an exact match to Marklin but you need
      to buy the Peco rail joiners.
      I don't think the price is too bad either. After all, you don't need that
      much ! If you buy starter sets you will have lots of preformed marklin
      curves and I use Peco mostly on the straights.

      Turnouts

      Apart from the price, there is a problem with the Marklin turnouts as the
      smaller locomotives tend to stall over them as they only have dead frogs.
      This and the fact that I like to see lots of trains freely running, led me
      to design layouts with few turnouts and several individual circuits. My
      current layout allows 4 different trains to circulate simultaneously and
      another locomotive to be shunting. ( Transformers are no problem as each of
      my 6 sets had one in it ! ) I have only used 5 turnouts and a single double
      slip for storage sidings and a station. Someone looking at the layout on
      it's different levels would not realise that the circuits are not all
      connected together by turnouts.

      If you want finer control of a circuit or shunting area, you can use a
      gaugemaster controller. I have their Combi unit which is OK provided it is
      limited to 8-10v input.

      Turntable

      I have been trying to acquire a Marklin Z turnout or their traverser but
      have not found one yet at the right price. Another member advised me to look
      at the Peco N gauge kit and I bought one of these. It is not that much over
      scale and will look good when I fit it into the layout. It will be a static
      model, though.

      Buildings

      There are very few Z buildings and they are very expensive. As the scale is
      so small I have found that card buildings are perfect, particularly if you
      are constructing a whole town. There are hundreds of german-pattern
      buildings readily available in HO and N. I buy these and take them to the
      colour photocopy shop and copy them onto thin card. That way I can reduce
      kits of all scales to 1 : 220. Some of the ones that are nominally HO are
      really under scale and you can put this right by recalculating the scale
      before you photo-reduce them.

      The colours in these kits are very realistic and translate well to Z on a
      good quality colour photocopier.

      Because of the flat relief, they are not really good enough for HO they are
      perfectly acceptable in Z and really cheap. I buy mine from
      http://moduni.de/ Their service is extremely good and although they quote 7
      day delivery, my last order arrived from Hambourg in two days.

      Buying at the right price

      As far as buying Marklin equipment, be a bit cheeky !

      You can look at what's available at http://www.miniclub.de/ as this site has
      pictures of most Marklin Miniclub items.

      But buy it from the shop I use http://www.matschkemodellbahn.de/ where they
      are cheaper !

      Mr Laage at matschkemodellbahn is very helpful, he speaks english and,
      having been in business a long time they are 100% reliable. If you are
      worried about sending credit card details over the net, you can fax your
      order.

      Hope this helps

      Chris Sheldrake

      From: "ae9f" <dannyg@...>
      2. Track
      From: "James Owens" <wotisname@...>
      3. RE: Track
      From: "Svein-Martin Holt" <smholt@...>
      4. RE: Track
      From: "Maksim-Smelchak" <max200@...>
      5. Re: Track
      From: "James Owens" <wotisname@...>
      6. Re: Track
      From: Reynard Wellman <micron@...>
      7. Re: Track
      From: dpstripe@...
      8. Updates on my layout
      From: "Svein-Martin Holt" <smholt@...>
      9. Re: Railex Adler
      From: "D. A. Karp" <z@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 06:13:05 -0000
      From: "ae9f" <dannyg@...>
      Subject: Re: Railex Adler

      Some sets do have electronics in the sound car. The electronics
      consist of a sound generator that produces a "chuff-chuff" sound to
      simulate the steam engine. The higher the voltage applied, the faster
      the chuffing (even if the car is standing still by itself).

      The extra drag caused by the sound car power pickups puts a strain on
      the small motor in the ghost wagon, so any kind of grade is out of the
      question; even on the flat you might have to go without one of the
      cars to get the train to run well. I believe this is the reason
      working sound cars were not included on all sets.

      Still, it's an exceptionally well-crafted set.

      Danny
      http://www.dannyg.com

      > I have a question about the "sound car" that is
      > part of the set. Are there any electronics in it, or is
      > it just a hollow car that somehow magnifies (slightly)
      > the rail noise and makes it louder and easier to hear.

      Message: 2
      Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 16:40:25 +0100
      From: "James Owens" <wotisname@...>
      Subject: Track

      Hi,

      I have just joined this list.

      It has been over twenty years since I attempted to build a layout, after the
      dog ate my N scale one I got very fedup. I have decided to try again with a
      Z gauge and wanted to know if there was a supplier of track, like turnouts,
      other than Markin which I find very expensive.

      Regards,

      Terry

      Message: 3
      Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 18:17:05 +0200
      From: "Svein-Martin Holt" <smholt@...>
      Subject: RE: Track

      MicroTrains has flex track available, and there are some turnouts and track
      available from Halwa. http://www.halwa.de The items from Halwa looks great,
      but I guess that Marklin is cheaper.
      There are a new vendor with some nice looking tornouts:
      http://www.ztrains.com/wright/turnout.html
      I do not know the price, but I guess they will not be cheaper than Marklin.

      Hilsen/Regards,
      Svein-Martin Holt

      Name: Svein-Martin Holt E-mail: smholt@...
      Country: Norway Mobil: +47 91 76 76 48
      Internet: http://expo.technocad.no/personal/sho

      Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 09:09:11 -0700
      From: "Maksim-Smelchak" <max200@...>

      Hi,

      I'd be interested in knowing this as well. My friend just got into N-scale
      after I encouraged him to go into Z-scale and showed him how good my layout
      was, BECAUSE:

      1. It was cheaper.
      2. There was already track on the shop's shelves.
      3. He doesn't care much about scale.

      Where can one get Z-track cheaply?

      How about Z-flextrack or Z-track that isn't straight?

      Cheers,
      Maksim-Smelchak.

      Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 17:49:41 +0100
      From: "James Owens" <wotisname@...>

      Hi,

      Peco do flexible track in 24" lengths @ RRP £2.75. They don't sell direct
      but you can buy via http://www.thesignalbox.com/ , if you buy 12 pieces it
      gets cheaper. I am informed this track will work with Markin turnouts and
      other track sections.

      Regards,

      Terry

      Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 11:51:54 -0500
      From: Reynard Wellman <micron@...>

      Hello Z Track Inquirers,

      If there were more Z scalers you might see cheaper track.
      However, you must consider that since the scale approaches
      watch maker tolerances (having to be more precise to function
      properly) it is more labor intensive to manufacture.

      Materials cost about the same for Z scale as for N scale, it
      is the volume and labor that makes Z scale more expensive.
      Do not approach Z scale with the idea that you are going
      to have manufacturers like Atlas or Kato mass producing
      inexpensive track and trains. It just ain't happening.

      BTW, Wright turnouts are $29.00 each. They are very well
      put together and are more performance reliable than some
      other makers turnouts.

      Best regards,
      Rey Wellman
      http://www.micronart.com/

      Svein-Martin Holt wrote:

      > MicroTrains has flex track available, and there are some turnouts and
      > track
      > available from Halwa. http://www.halwa.de The items from Halwa looks
      > great,
      > but I guess that Marklin is cheaper.
      > There are a new vendor with some nice looking tornouts:
      > http://www.ztrains.com/wright/turnout.html
      > I do not know the price, but I guess they will not be cheaper than
      > Marklin.
      >
      > Hilsen/Regards,
      > Svein-Martin Holt

      > Name: Svein-Martin Holt E-mail: smholt@...
      > Country: Norway Mobil: +47 91 76 76 48
      > Internet: http://expo.technocad.no/personal/sho

      [Image]

      Message: 7
      Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 15:27:29 EDT
      From: dpstripe@...

      Where can Wright turnouts be ordered from?

      In a message dated 8/3/2002 12:49:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      micron@... writes:

      > Hello Z Track Inquirers,
      >
      > If there were more Z scalers you might see cheaper track.
      > However, you must consider that since the scale approaches
      > watch maker tolerances (having to be more precise to function
      > properly) it is more labor intensive to manufacture.
      >
      > Materials cost about the same for Z scale as for N scale, it
      > is the volume and labor that makes Z scale more expensive.
      > Do not approach Z scale with the idea that you are going
      > to have manufacturers like Atlas or Kato mass producing
      > inexpensive track and trains. It just ain't happening.
      >
      > BTW, Wright turnouts are $29.00 each. They are very well
      > put together and are more performance reliable than some
      > other makers turnouts.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Rey Wellman
      > http://www.micronart.com/

      Message: 8
      Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 21:57:11 +0200
      From: "Svein-Martin Holt" <smholt@...>
      Subject: Updates on my layout

      Hi,

      I have done some updates on my layout today and have updated the webpage.
      Check it out to see the progress, if you are interested:
      http://expo.technocad.no/personal/sho/mj/zanlegg/z_layout_e.htm

      Hilsen/Regards,
      Svein-Martin Holt

      Name: Svein-Martin Holt E-mail: smholt@...
      Country: Norway Mobil: +47 91 76 76 48
      Internet: http://expo.technocad.no/personal/sho

      Message: 9
      Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 16:29:59 -0700
      From: "D. A. Karp" <z@...>

      Bruce,

      I too have an Adler without the sound. The car with the black stripe is
      designed to accommodate the sound chip & speaker; yours should even see the
      speaker holes in the bottom, even though there's no speaker.

      I know that some Adlers shipped without a sound car, and some with. Some
      later models also shipped without a powered ghost wagon.

      If anyone has information on where to obtain sound units small enough to
      fit in these little cars (or any Z rolling stock, for that matter), I'm
      sure we'd all be interested...

      -David

      http://www.zscale.org/

    • James Owens