Re: [z_scale] Track

  • dpstripe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 96 , Aug 3, 2002
      Where can Wright turnouts be ordered from?

      In a message dated 8/3/2002 12:49:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      micron@... writes:

      > Hello Z Track Inquirers,
      >
      > If there were more Z scalers you might see cheaper track.
      > However, you must consider that since the scale approaches
      > watch maker tolerances (having to be more precise to function
      > properly) it is more labor intensive to manufacture.
      >
      > Materials cost about the same for Z scale as for N scale, it
      > is the volume and labor that makes Z scale more expensive.
      > Do not approach Z scale with the idea that you are going
      > to have manufacturers like Atlas or Kato mass producing
      > inexpensive track and trains. It just ain't happening.
      >
      > BTW, Wright turnouts are $29.00 each. They are very well
      > put together and are more performance reliable than some
      > other makers turnouts.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Rey Wellman
      > http://www.micronart.com/

    • Ben Scaro
      Message 96 of 96 , Feb 14, 2009
        Of perhaps limited interest and circulation, but the Modelling the
        Railways of SA Convention notes include two fantastic articles
        arguing that 'track is a model too' and suggesting a variety of ways
        of replicating the look of Australian track.

        On the mainlines track is well sleepered, but Australian branchlines
        are infamous for light rail and widely and unevenly spaced
        sleepers. On many narrow gauge lines with wood sleepers, every
        fourth or fifth sleeper would be steel, the intention being to hold
        the rails in gauge.

        In Z, modelling it would require the use of code 30 rail at least,
        but code 25 would be better.

        Ben