Re: Railex Adler

  • ae9f
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2002
      Some sets do have electronics in the sound car. The electronics
      consist of a sound generator that produces a "chuff-chuff" sound to
      simulate the steam engine. The higher the voltage applied, the faster
      the chuffing (even if the car is standing still by itself).

      The extra drag caused by the sound car power pickups puts a strain on
      the small motor in the ghost wagon, so any kind of grade is out of the
      question; even on the flat you might have to go without one of the
      cars to get the train to run well. I believe this is the reason
      working sound cars were not included on all sets.

      Still, it's an exceptionally well-crafted set.

      Danny
      http://www.dannyg.com

      > I have a question about the "sound car" that is
      > part of the set. Are there any electronics in it, or is
      > it just a hollow car that somehow magnifies (slightly)
      > the rail noise and makes it louder and easier to hear.
    • D. A. Karp
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2002
        Bruce,

        I too have an Adler without the sound. The car with the black stripe is
        designed to accommodate the sound chip & speaker; yours should even see the
        speaker holes in the bottom, even though there's no speaker.

        I know that some Adlers shipped without a sound car, and some with. Some
        later models also shipped without a powered ghost wagon.

        If anyone has information on where to obtain sound units small enough to
        fit in these little cars (or any Z rolling stock, for that matter), I'm
        sure we'd all be interested...

        -David

        http://www.zscale.org/