Re: [z_scale] Re: help with wiring

  • Thomas P. Scheuzger
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
      If you can afford it, a resistance soldering unit (I believe they sell them at MicroMark) is best
      for soldering feeders to rail. It won't melt the ties like a regular soldering iron.

      Tom

      --- jmac_han <jmac_han@...> wrote:
      > Hi Karin,
      >
      > To be perfectly honest, I got the best wiring info from an old
      > Kalmbach Publishing manual called "Wiring Made Easy". It dealt with
      > HO and O scales for the most part. For my money the Atlas wiring
      > manual that you refer to will do fine for Marklin and any other
      > sectional track. The scale is not all that important.
      >
      > The main issue to remember is to add feeder wires every 3 feet or so
      > along main lines and to make sure that the track gauge hasn't changed
      > where you have soldered wires to the rails. The heat can melt ties
      > and allow the rail separation to change.
      >
      > It was a pleasure meeting you in Ft. Lauderdale.
      >
      > Happy Railroading,
      > Jeffrey

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Randy Smidt
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
        It sounds like heat kinks in the track aren't just a problem for big
        trains, too. The recent Amtrak wreck (on CSX track) was nearly in my
        back yard.

        Randy Smidt
        Washington, DC Z-Bend Track

        jmac_han wrote:

        > Hi Karin,
        >
        > To be perfectly honest, I got the best wiring info from an old
        > Kalmbach Publishing manual called "Wiring Made Easy". It dealt with
        > HO and O scales for the most part. For my money the Atlas wiring
        > manual that you refer to will do fine for Marklin and any other
        > sectional track. The scale is not all that important.
        >
        > The main issue to remember is to add feeder wires every 3 feet or so
        > along main lines and to make sure that the track gauge hasn't changed
        > where you have soldered wires to the rails. The heat can melt ties
        > and allow the rail separation to change.
        >
        > It was a pleasure meeting you in Ft. Lauderdale.
        >
        > Happy Railroading,
        > Jeffrey
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        [Image]