Re: help with wiring

  • jmac_han
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
      Hi Karin,

      To be perfectly honest, I got the best wiring info from an old
      Kalmbach Publishing manual called "Wiring Made Easy". It dealt with
      HO and O scales for the most part. For my money the Atlas wiring
      manual that you refer to will do fine for Marklin and any other
      sectional track. The scale is not all that important.

      The main issue to remember is to add feeder wires every 3 feet or so
      along main lines and to make sure that the track gauge hasn't changed
      where you have soldered wires to the rails. The heat can melt ties
      and allow the rail separation to change.

      It was a pleasure meeting you in Ft. Lauderdale.

      Happy Railroading,
      Jeffrey
    • Thomas P. Scheuzger
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
        If you can afford it, a resistance soldering unit (I believe they sell them at MicroMark) is best
        for soldering feeders to rail. It won't melt the ties like a regular soldering iron.

        Tom

        --- jmac_han <jmac_han@...> wrote:
        > Hi Karin,
        >
        > To be perfectly honest, I got the best wiring info from an old
        > Kalmbach Publishing manual called "Wiring Made Easy". It dealt with
        > HO and O scales for the most part. For my money the Atlas wiring
        > manual that you refer to will do fine for Marklin and any other
        > sectional track. The scale is not all that important.
        >
        > The main issue to remember is to add feeder wires every 3 feet or so
        > along main lines and to make sure that the track gauge hasn't changed
        > where you have soldered wires to the rails. The heat can melt ties
        > and allow the rail separation to change.
        >
        > It was a pleasure meeting you in Ft. Lauderdale.
        >
        > Happy Railroading,
        > Jeffrey

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • Randy Smidt
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
          It sounds like heat kinks in the track aren't just a problem for big
          trains, too. The recent Amtrak wreck (on CSX track) was nearly in my
          back yard.

          Randy Smidt
          Washington, DC Z-Bend Track

          jmac_han wrote:

          > Hi Karin,
          >
          > To be perfectly honest, I got the best wiring info from an old
          > Kalmbach Publishing manual called "Wiring Made Easy". It dealt with
          > HO and O scales for the most part. For my money the Atlas wiring
          > manual that you refer to will do fine for Marklin and any other
          > sectional track. The scale is not all that important.
          >
          > The main issue to remember is to add feeder wires every 3 feet or so
          > along main lines and to make sure that the track gauge hasn't changed
          > where you have soldered wires to the rails. The heat can melt ties
          > and allow the rail separation to change.
          >
          > It was a pleasure meeting you in Ft. Lauderdale.
          >
          > Happy Railroading,
          > Jeffrey
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          [Image]