Railex Adler

  • brucekrob
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2002
      Greetings!

      I have the chance to purchase a Railex Adler set. It's
      a boatload of money, but what a gorgeous set! At any
      rate, I have a question about the "sound car" that is
      part of the set. Are there any electronics in it, or is
      it just a hollow car that somehow magnifies (slightly)
      the rail noise and makes it louder and easier to hear.
      The set I am looking at has an empty sound car, but it
      is supposedly complete. And at those prices I durned
      well want to be sure it is!

      Thanks!

      Bruce

      Bruce A. Krobusek
      Farmington NY
      brucekro@...
    • ae9f
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2002
        Some sets do have electronics in the sound car. The electronics
        consist of a sound generator that produces a "chuff-chuff" sound to
        simulate the steam engine. The higher the voltage applied, the faster
        the chuffing (even if the car is standing still by itself).

        The extra drag caused by the sound car power pickups puts a strain on
        the small motor in the ghost wagon, so any kind of grade is out of the
        question; even on the flat you might have to go without one of the
        cars to get the train to run well. I believe this is the reason
        working sound cars were not included on all sets.

        Still, it's an exceptionally well-crafted set.

        Danny
        http://www.dannyg.com

        > I have a question about the "sound car" that is
        > part of the set. Are there any electronics in it, or is
        > it just a hollow car that somehow magnifies (slightly)
        > the rail noise and makes it louder and easier to hear.
      • D. A. Karp
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2002
          Bruce,

          I too have an Adler without the sound. The car with the black stripe is
          designed to accommodate the sound chip & speaker; yours should even see the
          speaker holes in the bottom, even though there's no speaker.

          I know that some Adlers shipped without a sound car, and some with. Some
          later models also shipped without a powered ghost wagon.

          If anyone has information on where to obtain sound units small enough to
          fit in these little cars (or any Z rolling stock, for that matter), I'm
          sure we'd all be interested...

          -David

          http://www.zscale.org/