help with wiring

  • Karin Isberg
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
      Hello all,

      This is my first layout and it's quite a learning experience (a fun one!).
      The layout is pretty good size (5'4" x 2'6") taken from the Marklin layout
      book (Layout #8). The base is 1/2" plywood that I made into a free standing
      table with a plexiglass top and sides (it's a monster!). So the track has
      been worked out (and purchased!), the roadbed is being put down now (Itty
      Bitty Lines cork) and I'm going to need to deal with the wiring soon. I have
      a few questions:

      Feeder track: the plan book calls for several of them but it seems to me
      they are pretty big and pretty lame conductors they way they are. Do most
      people not use these pieces and instead solder the wire to the track? Or
      some combination of this?

      Wiring 101: Are there any books out there on general wiring principles,
      techniques etc... that is applicable to z scale and Marklin products in
      particular? I have an Atlas N scale wiring book but it using a lot of it's
      own products and makes it harder to apply to Marklin track and products. I
      have read a good article over at ztrains.com
      (http://www.ztrains.com/pages/fyi/solder/solder.html) called "Soldering
      feeder wires" which got me thinking about this issue. Do I still use them if
      I go the soldering route or can I loose them?

      It's a fairly complicated layout (for a neophye) and I thought using the
      Marklin track plan book would be a 'safe' way to jump into this. The book is
      extreamly weak on details, hard to read pages and basicly no extra
      information. A disapointment. I was able to obtain (though this list)
      "Greenberg's Model Railroading with Marklin Z" which makes me feel a little
      more secure but is petty weak on real detail. I'm new and probably 'thicker'
      than average so that could be my problem with these books but I am hoping
      someone could point me to a wiring book that might go a little deeper and be
      easy enough to apply to Marklin z parts and pieces.

      Thanks,
      karin

      ---
    • jmac_han
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
        Hi Karin,

        To be perfectly honest, I got the best wiring info from an old
        Kalmbach Publishing manual called "Wiring Made Easy". It dealt with
        HO and O scales for the most part. For my money the Atlas wiring
        manual that you refer to will do fine for Marklin and any other
        sectional track. The scale is not all that important.

        The main issue to remember is to add feeder wires every 3 feet or so
        along main lines and to make sure that the track gauge hasn't changed
        where you have soldered wires to the rails. The heat can melt ties
        and allow the rail separation to change.

        It was a pleasure meeting you in Ft. Lauderdale.

        Happy Railroading,
        Jeffrey
      • Thomas P. Scheuzger
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
          If you can afford it, a resistance soldering unit (I believe they sell them at MicroMark) is best
          for soldering feeders to rail. It won't melt the ties like a regular soldering iron.

          Tom

          --- jmac_han <jmac_han@...> wrote:
          > Hi Karin,
          >
          > To be perfectly honest, I got the best wiring info from an old
          > Kalmbach Publishing manual called "Wiring Made Easy". It dealt with
          > HO and O scales for the most part. For my money the Atlas wiring
          > manual that you refer to will do fine for Marklin and any other
          > sectional track. The scale is not all that important.
          >
          > The main issue to remember is to add feeder wires every 3 feet or so
          > along main lines and to make sure that the track gauge hasn't changed
          > where you have soldered wires to the rails. The heat can melt ties
          > and allow the rail separation to change.
          >
          > It was a pleasure meeting you in Ft. Lauderdale.
          >
          > Happy Railroading,
          > Jeffrey

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • Randy Smidt
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
            It sounds like heat kinks in the track aren't just a problem for big
            trains, too. The recent Amtrak wreck (on CSX track) was nearly in my
            back yard.

            Randy Smidt
            Washington, DC Z-Bend Track

            jmac_han wrote:

            > Hi Karin,
            >
            > To be perfectly honest, I got the best wiring info from an old
            > Kalmbach Publishing manual called "Wiring Made Easy". It dealt with
            > HO and O scales for the most part. For my money the Atlas wiring
            > manual that you refer to will do fine for Marklin and any other
            > sectional track. The scale is not all that important.
            >
            > The main issue to remember is to add feeder wires every 3 feet or so
            > along main lines and to make sure that the track gauge hasn't changed
            > where you have soldered wires to the rails. The heat can melt ties
            > and allow the rail separation to change.
            >
            > It was a pleasure meeting you in Ft. Lauderdale.
            >
            > Happy Railroading,
            > Jeffrey
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            [Image]