Rumors from NTS2002

  • jmac_han
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 29 5:36 PM
      Hi Gang,

      Got hold of another computer on the way home from GATS in Birmingham,
      AL so here's some more info I've got to share from NTS...

      From a very reliable source it appears that a very large model train
      manufacturer will introduce a certain yellow and harbor mist gray
      color scheme on its passenger cars sometime in the next 12 months.
      This will finally give the A-B-A seto of locos something to pull ;-)

      From another very reliable source, if it weren't for problems with a
      rail rolling machine we would be able to purchase complete snap-track
      components with US tie-spacing to complement the flex track that is
      already available. Plans are still afoot to get the bugs out and
      produce the track. Work has also been progressing on an extremely
      anticipated diesel hood unit...the sticking point is the cost and
      torque of the 8mm Falhauber motor needed to power the loco. I'm
      somewhat encouraged that we may see this beauty within a reasonable
      time frame. Keep your fingers crossed, everyone!

      Pennzee is planning more road names for the hoppers and reefers.
      Unfortunately I was not able to pressure Bob Olson into committing
      himself to produce a new body style in the short term. He is
      interested in car styles that modelers would buy in terms of dozens
      (got 3 bay hoppers, got reefers...hmmm...how about a new tank car
      style!) Any other suggestions?

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey MacHan
    • ddechamp71
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 29 6:55 PM
        --- In z_scale@y..., "jmac_han" <jmac_han@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Gang,
        >
        > Got hold of another computer on the way home from GATS in
        Birmingham,
        > AL so here's some more info I've got to share from NTS...
        >
        > From a very reliable source it appears that a very large model
        train
        > manufacturer will introduce a certain yellow and harbor mist gray
        > color scheme on its passenger cars sometime in the next 12 months.
        > This will finally give the A-B-A seto of locos something to pull ;-)
        >
        > From another very reliable source, if it weren't for problems with
        > rail rolling machine we would be able to purchase complete snap-
        track
        > components with US tie-spacing to complement the flex track that is
        > already available. Plans are still afoot to get the bugs out and
        > produce the track. Work has also been progressing on an extremely
        > anticipated diesel hood unit...the sticking point is the cost and
        > torque of the 8mm Falhauber motor needed to power the loco. I'm
        > somewhat encouraged that we may see this beauty within a reasonable
        > time frame. Keep your fingers crossed, everyone!
        >
        > Pennzee is planning more road names for the hoppers and reefers.
        > Unfortunately I was not able to pressure Bob Olson into committing
        > himself to produce a new body style in the short term. He is
        > interested in car styles that modelers would buy in terms of dozens
        > (got 3 bay hoppers, got reefers...hmmm...how about a new tank car
        > style!) Any other suggestions?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Jeffrey MacHan

        Jeffrey, when you speak of an "extremely anticipated diesel hood
        unit", do you mean a first generation hood unit (ex GP9 or Cadillac
        SD9), or an unknown type of model nearly released (sorry for my poor
        english....).
        Elsewhere, I share your idea for a new tank car....I'd like also to
        see a covered grain or chemical hopper....
        Friendly
        Dominique
      • jmac_han
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 29 7:41 PM
          Geep ;-)

          Yes, an air-flow covered hopper would be just the thing.

          Cheers,
          Jeffrey

          P.S. Dominique, we have to get cracking on the Paris show. No word
          back from the contact you sent. I'll try again when I get the
          internet account set up at home. :-)

          > Jeffrey, when you speak of an "extremely anticipated diesel hood
          > unit", do you mean a first generation hood unit (ex GP9 or Cadillac
          > SD9),
          > Elsewhere, I share your idea for a new tank car....I'd like also to
          > see a covered grain or chemical hopper....
          > Friendly
          > Dominique
        • RanddomZ
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 29 8:21 PM
            I gotta tell you that MTL has been making that excuse since 1994 on the
            track issue

            jmac_han wrote:

            > >From another very reliable source, if it weren't for problems with a
            > rail rolling machine we would be able to purchase complete snap-track
            > components with US tie-spacing to complement the flex track that is
            > already available. Plans are still afoot to get the bugs out and
            > produce the track.
          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 30 12:45 AM
              --- jmac_han <jmac_han@...> a écrit : > Geep
              ;-)

              > Yes, an air-flow covered hopper would be just the
              > thing.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Jeffrey
              >
              > P.S. Dominique, we have to get cracking on the
              > Paris show. No word
              > back from the contact you sent. I'll try again when
              > I get the
              > internet account set up at home. :-)
              >
              > > Jeffrey, when you speak of an "extremely
              > anticipated diesel hood
              > > unit", do you mean a first generation hood unit
              > (ex GP9 or Cadillac
              > > SD9),
              > > Elsewhere, I share your idea for a new tank
              > car....I'd like also to
              > > see a covered grain or chemical hopper....
              > > Friendly
              > > Dominique

              Jeffrey, I haven't got anymore these guys'
              coordinates. Could you send them back to me? When I
              have them I will try to go there myself to meet
              them...
              Cheers
              Dominique

            • stevewood66
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 30 5:46 AM
                God I hope so! I think a reasonably priced hood unit would help to
                generate interest in Z...The comment I usually get when trying to
                promote Z is "But all I can run is an F-7 or maybe a $500 brass unit".

                Steve W

                >Work has also been progressing on an extremely
                >anticipated diesel hood unit...the sticking point is the cost and
                >torque of the 8mm Falhauber motor needed to power the loco. I'm
                >somewhat encouraged that we may see this beauty within a reasonable
                >time frame. Keep your fingers crossed, everyone!
              • tv175
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 30 1:20 PM
                  How about re-releasing those Pennzee heavyweight passenger cars? I got into this hobby too late and missed out! Three-axle trucks and clerestory rooflines would add some much-needed variety to our North American passenger fleets. Some railroads used upgraded heavyweights on their top trains well into the 40's and 50's (there was even an MR cover story from a few months ago), and they'd be the perfect for customizing into non-revenue equipment like office cars, troop sleepers, MOW dorms, track inspection/measurement cars, canteens, and more.

                  -- Andy Hunting

                • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 30 1:41 PM
                    I second that motion.

                    >How about re-releasing those Pennzee heavyweight passenger cars? I got
                    into this hobby too late and missed >out! Three-axle trucks and clerestory
                    rooflines would add some much-needed variety to our North American
                    >passenger fleets.
                  • tv175
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 30 1:56 PM
                      I may need some education here. Pennzee heavyweight passenger cars may be a custom-order job every time, unlike the reefers and hoppers.

                      http://www.z-world.com/htdocs/manufacturers/pennzee.html

                      The Z-World web page listed here was last updated in 1997, so it may well be out of date. Does Pennzee build heavyweights at all anymore, or no???

                      -- Andy Hunting

                      --- In z_scale@y..., ted_lamar@p... wrote:

                      > I second that motion.
                      >

                      > >How about re-releasing those Pennzee heavyweight passenger cars? I got
                      > into this hobby too late and missed >out! Three-axle trucks and clerestory
                      > rooflines would add some much-needed variety to our North American
                      > >passenger fleets.
                    • Edward Scullin
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 30 5:37 PM
                        PennZee released a set of Heavy weight Passenger car kits. There
                        were 5 kits, Coach, baggage, Combine, Diner and Pullman. they were a
                        set of resin castings. Floor (2 Pieces), roof, 2 ends, 2 sides, and
                        2 window strips. They fit together fairly well. They came without
                        trucks or couplers, and Bob recommended Marklin passenger car truck,
                        but they no longer sell the trucks separately. I used Micro Trains 2
                        Axel Passenger car trucks ( I'm not a stickler for PC). They look OK
                        behnd one of Bob's Penn RR Lowes K4 Pacifics when they are all
                        painted Brunswick green.
                        Ed Scullin
                        It would be great if Bob could upgarade the kits to have metal sides.

                        --- tv175 <zscale@...> wrote:

                        > I may need some education here. Pennzee heavyweight passenger cars
                        > may be a custom-order job every time, unlike the reefers and
                        > hoppers.
                        >
                        > http://www.z-world.com/htdocs/manufacturers/pennzee.html
                        >
                        > The Z-World web page listed here was last updated in 1997, so it
                        > may well be out of date. Does Pennzee build heavyweights at all
                        > anymore, or no???
                        >
                        > -- Andy Hunting
                        >

                        > --- In z_scale@y..., ted_lamar@p... wrote:
                        > >

                        > > I second that motion.
                        > >

                        > > >How about re-releasing those Pennzee heavyweight passenger cars?
                        > I got
                        > > into this hobby too late and missed >out! Three-axle trucks and
                        > clerestory
                        > > rooflines would add some much-needed variety to our North
                        > American
                        > > >passenger fleets.

                        http://health.yahoo.com
                      • D. A. Karp
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 30 5:45 PM
                          Ed,

                          While we're on the subject, can you provide some more information on the
                          Penn RR Lowes K4 Pacific you mentioned? I've read casual references to
                          PennZee's steam locomotive shells over the years, but information has been
                          hard to come by. Thanks,

                          -David

                          At 05:37 PM 7/30/2002 -0700, you wrote:
                          >PennZee released a set of Heavy weight Passenger car kits. There
                          >were 5 kits, Coach, baggage, Combine, Diner and Pullman. they were a
                          >set of resin castings. Floor (2 Pieces), roof, 2 ends, 2 sides, and
                          >2 window strips. They fit together fairly well. They came without
                          >trucks or couplers, and Bob recommended Marklin passenger car truck,
                          >but they no longer sell the trucks separately. I used Micro Trains 2
                          >Axel Passenger car trucks ( I'm not a stickler for PC). They look OK
                          >behnd one of Bob's Penn RR Lowes K4 Pacifics when they are all
                          >painted Brunswick green.
                          >Ed Scullin
                          >It would be great if Bob could upgarade the kits to have metal sides.

                          http://www.zscale.org/
                        • uptoolateny
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 30 6:09 PM
                            David,

                            I inquired awhile back from Bob of Pennzee on this topic, here's what he wrote back:

                            Hello John

                            Yes we do sell shells for Marklin steam chassis. We offer PRR's Lowey
                            Streamlined K-4. The kit is cast in Brittania pewter and includes both
                            boiler and tender. Unassembled and with out tender trucks the kit sells for
                            $50.00.

                            We also offer a cut down American style Marklin boiler shell to fit Marklins
                            new 0-8-0 chassis. We offer this as a "Bolt on" coversion kit which includes
                            painted boilershell and painted USA type tender for $100.00. The shell is
                            not decaled,we leave that up to the modeler, but it is painted in a gloss
                            black ready for decal application.

                            Bob

                            Bob said he said me photos, and with his OK I'll put them up as soon as I receive them.

                            John
                            http://www.ztrains.com
                          • Randy Smidt
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 30 9:28 PM
                              Bob had a few of these K4's for sale at NTS, including one that was
                              painted. I would have bought one but already 150% over my budget.

                              Randy Smidt

                            • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 31 2:59 PM
                                Dear Jeff,

                                I do hope, you and Marthe have arrived home safely in the meantime.
                                Please express Marthe my best wishes for a fast improvement of her health. Thank
                                heaven that she was not in Sinsheim with all the smokers and the missing air
                                condition.

                                I wish her all the best and a steady satisfying progress with her Dutch diorama
                                with the cheese factory, canal and wind mill.

                                I arrived home on Tuesday afternoon, tired but full of fine impressions from the
                                NTS. It was a great event for me! Many thanks again for the friendly support you
                                gave me as member of your layout-crew. Proudly I will present the VECRR cap at
                                the next show! Hmmm, Toronto 2003 sounds not too bad.

                                Now I have some questions:

                                Do you know the total number of visitors of the NTS? When we left the hall, only
                                the numbers for Friday and Saturday were given. Do you have the official total
                                number I need for my report? Harald mentiond 'some 14 000'.

                                Did you announced the official numbers of the 'World record modular system'?
                                Now a number of 109 Meters of double track is discussed. I do think we measured
                                120 yards, i.e. 109,73 m, an even longer track length. You know, we Germans like
                                to be precise. Any comments from you to be expected? Did really a train
                                travelled the whole lenght of all modules including the digital controlled
                                layout of Robert Allbritton? What time was needed to complete the run?

                                Now my comment:

                                jmac_han schrieb:

                                Work has also been progressing on an extremely
                                > anticipated diesel hood unit...the sticking point is the cost and
                                > torque of the 8mm Falhauber motor needed to power the loco.

                                Why manufacturers are trying to cope with the narrow space of GP type locos?
                                There the limitations of the 8 mm Faulhaber motor are eminent.
                                There are so many loco types available with a so-called 'Full-Width Hood' like
                                the EMD F40PH, -F59PH or the GE C40. There they may use the next size of
                                Faulhaber motors with the much better performance. Watch the smooth running of
                                the Box-Cap of Harald Freudenreich! Is there the same habit like in Germany,
                                that only models of the 'good old times' of yesteryear are asked for? What is
                                wrong with more modern times like now? Nowadays there are more different types
                                of freight cars to be seen on the tracks than in the good old days. And long
                                trains are still 'in'.
                                And there is also to be seen a large variety of passenger cars at Amtrak and all
                                the other regional commuter trains. The cars of the Tri-Rail system running from
                                Miami to West Palm Beach are beautifull.

                                > Pennzee is planning more road names for the hoppers and reefers.
                                > Unfortunately I was not able to pressure Bob Olson into committing
                                > himself to produce a new body style in the short term.

                                A re-introduction of the heavy passanger train cars of Bob in a more modern make
                                may be a very good idea! Even his present version looks appealing.

                                Greetings

                                Dieter

                                Dieter W. Nolte
                                E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
                              • jmac_han
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 31 4:00 PM
                                  Hi Dieter,

                                  We're home and slowly getting caught up. My high speed modem was not
                                  waiting for us when we arrived so I don't know when we'll be on-line
                                  full-time ;-)

                                  So here are some quick answers to your questions. I'll get back to
                                  you off-line when I can.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Jeffrey

                                  ******* Good! You and Terry Sutfin can join me as crewmates!

                                  > Now I have some questions:
                                  >
                                  > Do you know the total number of visitors of the NTS?

                                  ****** The number for attendance at NTS 2002 for the entire show was
                                  22,000.

                                  ******* 120 yards = 109,73 meters Correct!

                                  Did really a train
                                  > travelled the whole lenght of all modules including the digital
                                  controlled
                                  > layout of Robert Allbritton? What time was needed to complete the
                                  run?

                                  ******* Yes, trains ran the entire length of the mainline. I don't
                                  know the running time. Perhaps Rob, Rob, Bill, Billy, Chad, Randy,
                                  Dave, et al have the info. I also believe that the crew managed to
                                  get a 150 car train going. Verification, please!
                                • Edward Scullin
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 31 5:38 PM
                                    David
                                    The shell fits on a Marklin 8891, 92 or 93, but requires quite a bit
                                    of modification of the cylinder area of the chassis.
                                    Te parts supplied are the boiler casting, trailing truck casting,
                                    tender castings include sides, top and botttom. You need trucks for
                                    the tender. I used MT pssenger car trucks as an expediant.
                                    I ran into some difficulty in that I did not have a "German" Pacific,
                                    and used one of Marklins US Pacifics. The boiler mounting screw
                                    location is in a different place, and I had to figure out how to
                                    transfer the screw loction. It sure adds lot of weight to the
                                    chassis, but adds a lot in the tender also.
                                    I would not recommend it to the faint of heart. Attacking the
                                    cylniders with a heavy file is scary. But the results are worth it
                                    in the long run
                                    Ed S

                                    --- "D. A. Karp" <z@...> wrote:
                                    > Ed,
                                    >
                                    > While we're on the subject, can you provide some more information
                                    > on the
                                    > Penn RR Lowes K4 Pacific you mentioned? I've read casual
                                    > references to
                                    > PennZee's steam locomotive shells over the years, but information
                                    > has been
                                    > hard to come by. Thanks,
                                    >
                                    > -David
                                    SNIP

                                    http://health.yahoo.com
                                  • Robert Allbritton
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 31 6:56 PM
                                      Hello Dieter and Jeffrey,

                                      I can not speak to the other modules, but Randy Smidt told me that the DCC
                                      Swiss Alps module required over 5 minutes alone. I assume the entire loop
                                      was between 12 and 15 minutes.

                                      Best,
                                      -Rob

                                    • ztrack@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 31 7:33 PM
                                        In a message dated 7/31/02 7:01:12 PM, jmac_han@... writes:

                                        << I also believe that the crew managed to
                                        get a 150 car train going. Verification, please!

                                        A train of 107 cars ran steadily for some time. I know the guys were running
                                        larger trains and even tried one of over 200 cars! I think 147 was the top
                                        best. Is this correct?

                                        Rob Kluz

                                        Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
                                        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                        Dublin, OH 43016
                                        Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
                                        www.ztrack.com
                                      • Randy Smidt
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 31 10:17 PM
                                          I might add to Rob's comment that the 5 minute time around the Gotthard
                                          line modules may have been at unprototypically high speeds. At train
                                          shows people seem to want to see trains moving fast. I didn't check the
                                          speed before I measured the time around the loop.

                                          Randy Smidt

                                          Robert Allbritton wrote:

                                          > Hello Dieter and Jeffrey,
                                          >
                                          > I can not speak to the other modules, but Randy Smidt told me that the
                                          > DCC
                                          > Swiss Alps module required over 5 minutes alone. I assume the entire
                                          > loop
                                          > was between 12 and 15 minutes.
                                          >
                                          > Best,
                                          > -Rob

                                          [Click here to visit our exclusive feature of ACUVUE2 Colours at LensExpress.com!]
                                          Click here to find your contact lenses!

                                        • WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 1, 2002
                                            How about car haulers?
                                            --- jmac_han <jmac_han@...> wrote:
                                            > Hi Gang,
                                            >
                                            > Got hold of another computer on the way home from
                                            > GATS in Birmingham,
                                            > AL so here's some more info I've got to share from
                                            > NTS...
                                            >
                                            > From a very reliable source it appears that a very
                                            > large model train
                                            > manufacturer will introduce a certain yellow and
                                            > harbor mist gray
                                            > color scheme on its passenger cars sometime in the
                                            > next 12 months.
                                            > This will finally give the A-B-A seto of locos
                                            > something to pull ;-)
                                            >
                                            > From another very reliable source, if it weren't for
                                            > problems with a
                                            > rail rolling machine we would be able to purchase
                                            > complete snap-track
                                            > components with US tie-spacing to complement the
                                            > flex track that is
                                            > already available. Plans are still afoot to get the
                                            > bugs out and
                                            > produce the track. Work has also been progressing
                                            > on an extremely
                                            > anticipated diesel hood unit...the sticking point is
                                            > the cost and
                                            > torque of the 8mm Falhauber motor needed to power
                                            > the loco. I'm
                                            > somewhat encouraged that we may see this beauty
                                            > within a reasonable
                                            > time frame. Keep your fingers crossed, everyone!
                                            >
                                            > Pennzee is planning more road names for the hoppers
                                            > and reefers.
                                            > Unfortunately I was not able to pressure Bob Olson
                                            > into committing
                                            > himself to produce a new body style in the short
                                            > term. He is
                                            > interested in car styles that modelers would buy in
                                            > terms of dozens
                                            > (got 3 bay hoppers, got reefers...hmmm...how about a
                                            > new tank car
                                            > style!) Any other suggestions?
                                            >
                                            > Cheers,
                                            > Jeffrey MacHan

                                            =====
                                            WILLIAM BROCK

                                            http://health.yahoo.com
                                          • D. A. Karp
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 1, 2002
                                              Thanks for all the comments! I want it. I want it. I want it. I want
                                              it. I want it!

                                              I wrote to Bob Olson, and will let y'all know if they're still available!

                                              -David

                                              http://www.zscale.org/