Re: [z_scale] Pictures of seacoast villages?

  • Randy Smidt
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2002
      Hi Pete,

      I don't have links right now but try these cities/towns:

      Portland, Maine (I think there is a narrow gauge tourist RR on the
      waterfront)
      Boothbay Harbor, Maine (very touristy now, I don't think it has a
      waterfront RR though, now has a "Railroad Village" that is 100% tourist
      trap)
      Belfast, Maine (a working harber that is quickly being developed,
      terminus of Belfast & Moosehead Lake tourist RR which is right on the
      water)
      Old Orchard Beach, Maine (very touristy, I think is on the new
      Downeaster service)

      Good Luck,
      Randy Smidt
      PS- One of the PBS railroad shows had a feature on the Belfast &
      Moosehead Lake RR, beautiful scenery!

      pasowl wrote:

      > Hi Folks,
      > While I'm laid up I am trying to make use of the time somehow by
      > sketching out and working on some ideas for expanding Night Owl
      > Railways, especially the Z side of it.
      >
      > One thing I have started drawing some sketches of is a possible
      > seacoast "village". The idea would basically be that the area
      > originally was a fishing village with houses, shacks, etc., right up
      > to and even overhanging the water in some places. However over time
      > the area will have become more of a tourist trap then an actual
      > fishing village so a tourist trap type motif will be definitely
      > present. Of course the village would be accessible via z train but I
      > haven't decided what type of small station to have yet.
      >
      > While I have some ideas already, I am stretching my memory for more
      > inspiration as I vaguely remember seeing some villages that was very
      > interesting to me many decades ago in New England where I am
      > originally from but have trouble remembering a lot of the
      > attractiveness that caught my attention and unique features of them.
      > I do remember lobster pots hanging all over the place and that type
      > of thing.
      >
      > I haven't decided yet if the town would actually reside on a lake
      > shore or ocean, etc. but I was wondering if any of you might have
      > come across pictures that could give me even more ideas for possible
      > fishing village or tourist trap towns (tourist traps on the shore or
      > even inland ones are always interesting to me). If anyone has any
      > links to sites with "village/coastline" pictures like this they could
      > forward, or want to send me some images via email, postal mail, web
      > page, etc. I would appreciate it. BTW, I'm also looking for pictures
      > of trains running through gorges with perhaps a water way running
      > beside it.
      > Appreciate any ideas or suggestions anyone might have.
      > Thanks,
      > Pete Shatswell
      > Night Owl Railways
      > Pasowl@...

    • John Engbers

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2002
          --- In z_scale@y..., "pasowl" <Pasowl@a...> wrote:
          > BTW, I'm also looking for pictures of trains running through
          > gorges with perhaps a water way running beside it.

          There are wonderful pictures here - do they help:

          http://www.virtualguidebooks.com/ThematicLists/Railroads.html

          Jeremy.
        • Pasowl@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2002
            Jeremy.Brandon@... writes:

            > BTW, I'm also looking for pictures of trains running through
            > > gorges with perhaps a water way running beside it.
            >
            > There are wonderful pictures here - do they help:
            >
            > http://www.virtualguidebooks.com/ThematicLists/Railroads.html
            >
            > Jeremy.

            Hi Jeremy and everyone else,
            Hadn't seen that site like before. I appreciate your mention of it.

            It's going to take a while to look through the various scenes (I usually have
            very poor and slow dial up modem connections out here in the country) but it
            will definitely be a site I will be exploring for ideas of various types
            while stuck in bed/housebound. Looks interesting for sure.

            My system is giving me warnings concerning something involving active x
            controls when I click on a few of the pages so far so I will have to check
            and see what is going on and if there's a way to get the pages to display
            correctly.

            I did look at one of the deserted street images that has already helped me
            explain a scenery technique to another person that was asking me about it so
            that site has helped already.

            To everyone, I appreciate all of the suggestions so far and still welcome
            more ideas and especially pages. Still trying to find images. looking at some
            of the suggested places to search for, the New England coast line has sure
            changed since I was up there that's for sure, and from what I have seen so
            far not for the better :-(.

            I had a friend, Kjell Thorsen, a long time ago that told me Norway had a lot
            of neat fishing villages also. Does anyone on this group from Norway or other
            European areas possibly have some images of seaside villages from their neck
            of woods?
            Thanks,
            Pete Shatswell
            Night Owl Railways