pager motors

  • Randy Smidt
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2002
      I was just at my local Marklin dealer's shop the other day and saw
      something interesting. Not a train but a small R/C car. Atomic Toys
      makes a little 1/64th scale (sort of) radio controlled car called "Z
      cars R/C" . Some of you have probably run into to these things using
      web searches as they always come up with "Z" stuff. I had never seen
      one before, but looking at it close up in the store revealed their
      motors. They use what appears to be a selection of 2.2V, 2.6V and 3.0V
      pager motors. I couldn't tell if all three motors come with the set or
      if the two 2.6V and 3.0V motors are an upgrade kit. If all three motors
      come with it for the $20 price, that might be a source for small motors.

      Have Fun,
      Randy Smidt
    • zbendtrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2002
        Randy:

        > I was just at my local Marklin dealer's shop the other day and saw
        > something interesting. Not a train but a small R/C car. Atomic Toys
        > makes a little 1/64th scale (sort of) radio controlled car called "Z
        > cars R/C" . Some of you have probably run into to these things using
        > web searches as they always come up with "Z" stuff. I had never seen
        > one before, but looking at it close up in the store revealed their
        > motors. They use what appears to be a selection of 2.2V, 2.6V and 3.0V
        > pager motors. I couldn't tell if all three motors come with the set or
        > if the two 2.6V and 3.0V motors are an upgrade kit.

        It took about 3 minutes on www.google.com to find the wholesale distributor
        of these tiny RC cars. But there is little information there, and I don't
        wish to order a full 40 foot container full of them to get one car <smile>.

        But I did find retailers in the search. From their websites the improved
        tires, mag wheels and 2.6 and 3.0v motors are all separate, extra cost,
        items. Unfortunately, not a single retailer appears to be investing in stock
        on the extra parts. I guess no one wants to get stuck with a container of
        10,000 wheels and motors if the R/C car itself doesn't make it in the
        marketplace.

        My question to you is, when you looked at it, were there any possibilities of
        a Z Scale drive mechanism in the car? Just having a source of axles, gears,
        motor and a frame you could cut up sounds interesting.

        Regards,
        Bill K.
        Houston

      • Pasowl@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2002
          zbendtrack@... writes:

          > Randy:
          >
          > > I was just at my local Marklin dealer's shop the other day and saw
          > > something interesting. Not a train but a small R/C car. Atomic Toys
          > > makes a little 1/64th scale (sort of) radio controlled car called "Z
          > > cars R/C" . Some of you have probably run into to these things using
          > > web searches as they always come up with "Z" stuff. I had never seen
          > > one before, but looking at it close up in the store revealed their
          > > motors. They use what appears to be a selection of 2.2V, 2.6V and 3.0V
          > > pager motors. I couldn't tell if all three motors come with the set or
          > > if the two 2.6V and 3.0V motors are an upgrade kit.
          >
          > It took about 3 minutes on www.google.com to find the wholesale distributor
          >
          > of these tiny RC cars. But there is little information there, and I don't
          > wish to order a full 40 foot container full of them to get one car <smile>.
          >
          > But I did find retailers in the search. From their websites the improved
          > tires, mag wheels and 2.6 and 3.0v motors are all separate, extra cost,
          > items. Unfortunately, not a single retailer appears to be investing in
          > stock
          > on the extra parts. I guess no one wants to get stuck with a container of
          > 10,000 wheels and motors if the R/C car itself doesn't make it in the
          > marketplace.
          >
          > My question to you is, when you looked at it, were there any possibilities
          > of
          > a Z Scale drive mechanism in the car? Just having a source of axles,
          > gears,
          > motor and a frame you could cut up sounds interesting.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Bill K.
          > Houston

          Hi folks,
          I was also at the local z hobby shop the other day (perhaps the same one as
          Randy, trains etc. in Lorton?) and saw these cars. In fact I pointed them out
          to my wife and she bought one to see if she could antagonize (AKA play) with
          our cats with it.

          From what we understood from the owner, the shop was going to sell them for
          around $30+ (if I remember the pricing situation correctly) but was going to
          include a couple of the accessories (not sure what exactly, believe it was a
          belt clip and perhaps another motor/tire set or something like that). He had
          ordered the accessories but they hadn't shown up in the shipments to date so
          they were selling the cars for about $20.00.

          She has the car hidden someplace in her room while I repair damages to the
          house floors, etc., which needs to be done before she has a clear spot to run
          the car but if I can find it tomorrow I will take a closer look at it for
          you. I can probably post a picture or two of it also if anyone would care to
          see it or it's guts.

          Just to fill you in a little however, there's no batteries in the car itself.
          The remote unit has the batteries in it (3 AAA's if I remember right). You
          put the car on the remote for something like 30 seconds and it "charges" the
          car for about 5 minutes. The remote has two buttons, one that controls left
          right movements, the other controls forward/reverse.

          It actually worked out in my favor as not only do we have the car now to play
          with but since she saved $'s on it from what she thought it was selling for
          we went ahead and got some Z flex track also. :-) It is a cute little car,
          comes in various body styles and colors as well as different frequencies
          (freq is fixed so check what you buy if you want to run any races between a
          couple of them).
          Take it easy,
          Pete Shatswell
          Night Owl Railways

        • Randy Smidt
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4, 2002
            Try www.atomictoys.com

            According to their website, the accessories won't be out until August
            6th.

            The gears are probably all too big to fit inside a Z-scale Loco body.
            The smaller of the two gears I saw might fit inside an F-7, but that's
            not what we need is it. I think the accessories may have a set of
            different gears to get different ratios, but I haven't seen those.
            Anybody know any good sources for small gears?

            Yes, Pete, I was at Trains, Etc.

            Randy Smidt

            zbendtrack@... wrote:

            > Randy:
            >
            > > I was just at my local Marklin dealer's shop the other day and saw
            > > something interesting. Not a train but a small R/C car. Atomic
            > Toys
            > > makes a little 1/64th scale (sort of) radio controlled car called "Z
            >
            > > cars R/C" . Some of you have probably run into to these things
            > using
            > > web searches as they always come up with "Z" stuff. I had never
            > seen
            > > one before, but looking at it close up in the store revealed their
            > > motors. They use what appears to be a selection of 2.2V, 2.6V and
            > 3.0V
            > > pager motors. I couldn't tell if all three motors come with the set
            > or
            > > if the two 2.6V and 3.0V motors are an upgrade kit.
            >
            > It took about 3 minutes on www.google.com to find the wholesale
            > distributor
            > of these tiny RC cars. But there is little information there, and I
            > don't
            > wish to order a full 40 foot container full of them to get one car
            > <smile>.
            >
            > But I did find retailers in the search. From their websites the
            > improved
            > tires, mag wheels and 2.6 and 3.0v motors are all separate, extra
            > cost,
            > items. Unfortunately, not a single retailer appears to be investing
            > in stock
            > on the extra parts. I guess no one wants to get stuck with a
            > container of
            > 10,000 wheels and motors if the R/C car itself doesn't make it in the
            > marketplace.
            >
            > My question to you is, when you looked at it, were there any
            > possibilities of
            > a Z Scale drive mechanism in the car? Just having a source of axles,
            > gears,
            > motor and a frame you could cut up sounds interesting.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Bill K.
            > Houston

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • digistevez
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2002
              I looked into the But Charge cars by Tomy for Z train accessory
              control a few months ago. I had been invisioning rail fed rc trollies
              on the layout. They still are quite expensive but if someone in Japan
              can grab a bunch they would be more affordable, I'm waiting for the
              used ones to show up on ebay. About 3000 yen last I checked in Japan,
              controller and car included. It really impressed me that there was an
              alternative to the high end 1:87 German enthusiast traditional rc
              servo based cars. The Japanese cars have very little speed control
              more an on off type function as opposed to the euro-mini rc cars.
              Steve -Hope everyone had a great 4th and Canada day. S

              --- In z_scale@y..., Randy Smidt <RSmidt@m...> wrote:
              > I was just at my local Marklin dealer's shop the other day and saw
              > something interesting. Not a train but a small R/C car. Atomic
              Toys
              > makes a little 1/64th scale (sort of) radio controlled car called "Z
              > cars R/C" . Some of you have probably run into to these things
              using
              > web searches as they always come up with "Z" stuff. I had never
              seen
              > one before, but looking at it close up in the store revealed their
              > motors. They use what appears to be a selection of 2.2V, 2.6V and
              3.0V
              > pager motors. I couldn't tell if all three motors come with the
              set or
              > if the two 2.6V and 3.0V motors are an upgrade kit. If all three
              motors
              > come with it for the $20 price, that might be a source for small
              motors.

              > Have Fun,
              > Randy Smidt
            • Yuji Kuwabara
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 5, 2002
                Hello,

                Recently, DigiQ Train, a small toy train, has become available.
                It is similar to racing car version.
                It is controlled by IR.
                Ten minutes battery charge makes the train run 15 minutes.

                http://www.konami.co.jp/cp/micro_ir/train/lineup/lineup_frame.html
                (Japanese only)

                But it seems to me that their parts are not useful for Z locos.

                Regards.

                Yuji Kuwabara
              • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 5, 2002
                  Only the slow motor comes with it. The other motors are hop ups....but
                  I've been unable to locate any so far. (Haven't treid that hard, however)

                  The cars are a kick. Total novelty, but a kick.

                  A similar outfit produces a small submarine that you can pilot around
                  fishtanks.... :)

                  "Randy Smidt"
                  <RSmidt@mindsprin To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                  g.com> cc:
                  Subject: [z_scale] pager motors
                  07/04/2002 01:49
                  PM
                  Please respond to
                  z_scale

                  I was just at my local Marklin dealer's shop the other day and saw
                  something interesting. Not a train but a small R/C car. Atomic Toys
                  makes a little 1/64th scale (sort of) radio controlled car called "Z
                  cars R/C" . Some of you have probably run into to these things using
                  web searches as they always come up with "Z" stuff. I had never seen
                  one before, but looking at it close up in the store revealed their
                  motors. They use what appears to be a selection of 2.2V, 2.6V and 3.0V
                  pager motors. I couldn't tell if all three motors come with the set or
                  if the two 2.6V and 3.0V motors are an upgrade kit. If all three motors
                  come with it for the $20 price, that might be a source for small motors.

                  Have Fun,
                  Randy Smidt

                • Mr. W
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 8, 2002
                    Just a comment on pager motors. They are very attractive, relatively easy
                    to get for very little money (as little as $1 each), and almost completely
                    worthless for Z scale models (at least in my experience). The problem lies
                    in the low voltage requirements for these motors. I've tried a number of
                    different ways to compensate for the fact that I have 10V rails, and want to
                    use 1.5V or 2.5V motors, but none have been successful.
                    So, unfortunately, I think that pager motors must be limited to
                    sidelines where you can regulate the track voltage down to the motor's
                    requirement. And for such projects, I've seen pager motors used to some
                    VERY impressive ends. But, it is still a fatal limitation when looking for
                    a driver for a mainline locomotive. For now, we remain limited to MicroMo
                    motors.

                    GW

                    FMTLR&DDE