Re: [z_scale] Z Resin Shells

  • Randy Smidt
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 4, 2002
      Mr. W,

      I've often wondered about the possibilities available from rapid
      prototyping. About what does it cost for a Z-scale shell to be made
      using this process?

      Would it be worth it to have a shell made using rapid prototyping then
      adding more detail yourself?

      Thanks,
      Randy Smidt

    • Mr. W
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 8, 2002
        Randy,
        There are a couple of issues that seem to effect the price of rapid
        prototyping. If I recall correctly, the price is based on volume of the
        model and depth of the model, and the rapid prototype work area. So, if you
        only want one shell, the price for a GP-7 shell, for example, would cost
        around $50 (if I recall correctly). But, if you were to produce two shells
        at once, the cost would only be something like $80. And so on. These are,
        of course, just guestimates, and for anything more formal I'd have to
        contact the RP shop that I use, send them a model to look at, and have them
        quote me a price. But, overall, I think that the price isn't that bad for
        producing a decent styrene locomotive shell.

        GW
        FMTLR&DDE