Re: [z_scale] Z Resin Shells

  • Mr. W
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 4, 2002
      Those computer mock ups are mine. I have the design for a GP-7, and it
      does include a design for a power unit, running, of course, off the 8mm
      Micro-Mo double ended motor. The rest of the mechanism is based on the MTL
      hardware (gears, trucks, etc.). My intent was to possibly, at some point,
      produce a kit that would allow someone to buy a MTL F7, and retro-fit it
      into a GP-7. However, there are a number of problems with this idea.
      First, and foremost is that I haven't had time or money to proceed in some
      time. I did get a prototype of the shell produced through rapid prototyping
      in styrene, and it is a lovely little thing. (I even had a prototype power
      unit running on the rails for a little while.) The one down side to this
      process is that the detail level is somewhat limited. Smallest feature is
      about .005 inch, as opposed to MTL's standard of about .002" for rivets.
      So, the finer details can't be achieved this way.
      However, I've considered this to be an ideal way to produce styrene
      shells in very small quantities, with out them becoming too expensive. If
      anyone has a particular shell type (and mechanism that it has to fit) that
      they'd like to have produced, I'd be willing to look at doing the 3D models
      for a nominal fee, and then having them rapid prototyped. However, I don't
      have time to do the research. I'd have to be provided with drawings to
      create the 3D models from.
      Cheers!

      GW

      FMTLR&DDE

      on Mon, 24 Jun 2002 01:02:05, bscaro at bscaro@... wrote:

      > There are a few computer mock-up images for a GP7 shell in the Photos
      > section. Did this ever make it to production stage ? Also I
      > remember an old photo on this group a year or so ago of an SD40-2
      > shell- not sure if this was ever produced.
      >
      > I guess the problem is, as ever, mechanisms for hood diesels.
      >
      > However I have not checked the group for some time and am not sure
      > whether anything new has become available in this area ?
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Ben
    • Randy Smidt
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 4, 2002
        Mr. W,

        I've often wondered about the possibilities available from rapid
        prototyping. About what does it cost for a Z-scale shell to be made
        using this process?

        Would it be worth it to have a shell made using rapid prototyping then
        adding more detail yourself?

        Thanks,
        Randy Smidt

      • Mr. W
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 8, 2002
          Randy,
          There are a couple of issues that seem to effect the price of rapid
          prototyping. If I recall correctly, the price is based on volume of the
          model and depth of the model, and the rapid prototype work area. So, if you
          only want one shell, the price for a GP-7 shell, for example, would cost
          around $50 (if I recall correctly). But, if you were to produce two shells
          at once, the cost would only be something like $80. And so on. These are,
          of course, just guestimates, and for anything more formal I'd have to
          contact the RP shop that I use, send them a model to look at, and have them
          quote me a price. But, overall, I think that the price isn't that bad for
          producing a decent styrene locomotive shell.

          GW
          FMTLR&DDE