Re: [z_scale] Opportunity for Marklin dealers in Europe

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1 7:15 AM
      I must bow out on this one. My official policy and the policy of Ztrack
      Magazine is to support your local Märklin dealer. Ztrack Magazine does not
      accept advertising from European dealers to run in North America. We instead
      offer supplements for European dealers to be mailed to subscribers in their
      country.

      There are many reasons for this policy. First is to support the local shop
      owner. I have seen too many dealers hurt because they are loosing sales
      direct to Europe. Frankly, we need these shops. If we did not have the
      committed local dealers, Märklin Z (as well as HO, etc) would be hampered in
      growth and support. Recently, I watched a shop owner spend at least twenty
      minutes with a customer going over the intricacies of a HO digital
      locomotive. The dealer did not get the sale and found out that the loco was
      instead ordered through Europe. The customer was only there to view before he
      purchased. Why should a hard working shop owner commit his time to be a
      visual catalog for sales when he has rent to pay?

      As for the support issue, while most folks have not had problems with the
      overseas dealers they are working with, one noted Z scale German dealer is in
      actuality a gray market dealer. Many Zers have been burned by poor service,
      and non-truthfull advertising (used while sold as new).

      As for pricing, I am sometimes unimpressed by the savings. It also should be
      noted that in the seventeen years since I started into the hobby, pricing on
      many Märklin items has actually decreased. The gap has narrowed. Märklin Inc,
      and Märklin Germany are also working to narrow if not eliminate the remaining
      gap. Dealers in the US have the opportunity to buy direct from Märklin
      Germany, further reducing the cost of the product.

      So let me end by asking a question. Why should we help the small to mid level
      dealers in Europe when the small to mid level dealers in the US are
      struggling? What would it be like not have a local dealer? Many of you
      already know the reality. For us who have suffered through not having a local
      dealer, only to gain one, we definitely do not what to loose them. For me,
      the benefits of having a loyal, knowledgeable dealer that you work with in
      the US, far outweigh the slight savings from purchasing overseas.

      Rob Kluz

      Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      Dublin, OH 43016
      Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
      www.ztrack.com
    • WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2 8:25 PM
        Rob,

        I fully understand your viewpoint and what you are
        conveying. But I do not have a local hobby shop to,
        A) purchase Z scale items I am interested in or that
        wishes to supply what I want and, B) I find the source
        I have in Europe does provide substantial cost savings
        for which am very happy with and does have a complete
        'line'. I have tried to locate and support a local
        "loyal knowledgeable dealer to work with". In the past
        I have found and had a "loyal knowledgeable dealer" to
        work with in HO scale that I ordered and purchased my
        items through, even though I could have found the same
        through direct sale. I did this because I wanted to
        see his business continue and flourish. Yet, I am no
        longer in HO, he does not supply Z scale, and he says
        it would not be profitable for him. I do not have a
        comparable Z scale dealer to work with, thus the
        inquiry.

        However, I do not feel it is right to ask and use a
        dealers time about a product, just to purchase an item
        somewhere else. There are ethics and this inquiry was
        not to hurt local dealers who are both good and within
        reasonable distance to a "local dealer". I do want to
        see Z scale prosper and understand your stated view
        and policy and understand you should hold to this.
        But, do not assume everyone has a local dealer or a
        willing local dealer or a local "loyal knowledgeable
        dealer" to work with. I am very open to gaining a
        local "loyal knowledgeable dealer" to me and not
        opposed to supporting one as I have done in the past.

        For now though, the best for me is 'overseas' sales,
        for which I have returned an item that did not work
        and was sent a brand new one as ordered. I get
        service that way too.

        Having stated my stance, Rob your magazine is only
        getting that much better each time I read it and I
        appreciate your promotion of Z scale. All the
        articles in the latest issue are great. You have a
        good thing going there. Thanks,

        Will

        =====
        WILLIAM BROCK

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • ztrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3 6:51 AM
          Will,

          I understand your situation. It is difficult not having a Z dealer local.
          Unfortunately, there are a lot of Z enthusiasts in the same situation. I
          would love to see a Märklin Z dealer in every city, but I feel we are
          actually going the other way and loosing dealers. For instance, a number of
          years ago, Columbus Ohio had three to four shops carrying Z, now only one.
          Märklin has been working hard to increase their dealer base and we are seeing
          new stores carry the line which is good. I do ask not to forget about the
          dealers that advertise in Ztrack. These stores are very committed to the
          hobby and offer great service. I trust them all.

          Thanks for the kind words on the last issue. It is amazing how much is
          happening in the Z world. It really is a good time to be a Z scaler and I
          think it is only going to get much, much better. Take care,

          Rob Kluz

          Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          Dublin, OH 43016
          Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
          www.ztrack.com
        • LDPERRIN
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3 7:34 AM
            Rob:

            Could you get someone to update your dealer list on your web page?
            Some of the links dont work, and I think I saw a dealer on the back
            of one of the magazenes you sent me (I can't remember if it was a
            back issue I ordered or the most recent one, I'll let you know), but
            his info wasn't on your site.

            BTW.. the Zenes look GREAT. excellent job. looking forward to every
            issue now

            Warren