Z Resin Shells

  • John Cubbin
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 21, 2002
      Poking around today on the web I came across a couple of sites that sell
      resin locomotive shells in N and HO. Has any small small company
      attempted this in Z?

      Here's an example:

      http://tinyurl.com/g8c

      I'd think this could be pretty interesting. There was also an article in
      the May 2002 issue of MR that talked about casting (a pretty nice
      example is on page 67 of this issue).

      John
      http://www.ztrains.com
    • digistevez
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 21, 2002
        Great site and those prices are very impressive. With the Marklin
        folks making things in China you would think that they could produce
        some new items as nice or better for the US market as well as others.
        I have made slotcar bodies building up layers by "swishing" side to
        side, these look though they have been made in an automated fashion
        involving a moving mold. I have a chef job for a bit of venture
        capital raising and also will be selling 200+ 1:200 european cast
        metal trucks and cars soon on ebay. Excellent detail in the cast
        metal trucks and they will be in the $5-$7. range once I get finished
        picturing and listing. Hope everyone is enjoying their summer and
        John I will be emailing soon. Steve

        --- In z_scale@y..., John Cubbin <jcubbin@o...> wrote:
        > Poking around today on the web I came across a couple of sites that
        sell
        > resin locomotive shells in N and HO. Has any small small company
        > attempted this in Z?
        >
        > Here's an example:
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/g8c
        >
        > I'd think this could be pretty interesting. There was also an
        article in
        > the May 2002 issue of MR that talked about casting (a pretty nice
        > example is on page 67 of this issue).
        >
        > John
        > http://www.ztrains.com
      • Mike Chenoweth
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 21, 2002
          If any of you wish to make a master from styrene, I can make resin castings.
          I'm currently doing Nn3 boxcars. Just a thought.
          Mike

        • ztrack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 22, 2002
            John,

            Back in the old days of Z in the US, a company named In Service Miniatures
            (ISM) made cast metal shells to retro fit on Märklin steam locomotives. ISM
            no longer exists, but these shells still come up now and then. I know for a
            fact that there are quite a few masters for even more steam shells out there.
            It is just a matter of bringing them to the market. One shell that is readily
            available is a Pennsylvania streamlined K4. The original Z version is
            actually from GHQ (war-gaming company). Pennzee is now offering and selling
            the shell as well as steam locomotive detail kits. Pennzee may also be able
            to help bring those masters I mentioned to market.

            Rob Kluz

            Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
            6142 Northcliff Blvd.
            Dublin, OH 43016
            Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
            www.ztrack.com
          • uptoolateny
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 22, 2002
              Hi Rob,

              I've contacted Pennzee regarding the shells, I'll post up here with any res=
              ponse. Also, that earlier offer from
              Mike Chenoweth sounded pretty good. Might be nice to see some new and other=
              wise unavailable Z pieces.

              John
              http://www.ztrains.com

              --- In z_scale@y..., ztrack@a... wrote:
              > John,
              >
              > Back in the old days of Z in the US, a company named In Service Miniature=
              > (ISM) made cast metal shells to retro fit on Märklin steam locomotives. I=
              SM
              > no longer exists, but these shells still come up now and then. I know for=
              > fact that there are quite a few masters for even more steam shells out th=
              ere.
              > It is just a matter of bringing them to the market. One shell that is rea=
              dily
              > available is a Pennsylvania streamlined K4. The original Z version is
              > actually from GHQ (war-gaming company). Pennzee is now offering and selli=
              ng
              > the shell as well as steam locomotive detail kits. Pennzee may also be ab=
              le
              > to help bring those masters I mentioned to market.
              >
              > Rob Kluz
              >
              > Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
              > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
              > Dublin, OH 43016
              > Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
              > www.ztrack.com
            • Stuart Firth
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 23, 2002
                While this may not appeal to American tastes, Z Club UK offer a resin
                shell for 'Mallard', probably the world's most famous steam locomotive
                (world record holder 127 MPH).

                It is here, along with some interesting and reasonably priced
                accessories.

                http://www.ford.demon.co.uk/items.html

                Regards,

                Stuart

                On Sunday, June 23, 2002, at 02:38 AM, uptoolateny wrote:

                > Hi Rob,
                >
                > I've contacted Pennzee regarding the shells, I'll post up here with any
                > res=
                > ponse. Also, that earlier offer from
                > Mike Chenoweth sounded pretty good. Might be nice to see some new and
                > other=
                > wise unavailable Z pieces.
                >
                > John
                > http://www.ztrains.com
                >

                > --- In z_scale@y..., ztrack@a... wrote:
                >> John,
                >>
                >> Back in the old days of Z in the US, a company named In Service
                >> Miniature=
                >> (ISM) made cast metal shells to retro fit on Märklin steam
                >> locomotives. I=
                > SM
                >> no longer exists, but these shells still come up now and then. I know
                >> for=
                >> fact that there are quite a few masters for even more steam shells out
                >> th=
                > ere.
                >> It is just a matter of bringing them to the market. One shell that is
                >> rea=
                > dily
                >> available is a Pennsylvania streamlined K4. The original Z version is
                >> actually from GHQ (war-gaming company). Pennzee is now offering and
                >> selli=
                > ng
                >> the shell as well as steam locomotive detail kits. Pennzee may also be
                >> ab=
                > le
                >> to help bring those masters I mentioned to market.
                >>
                >> Rob Kluz
                >>
                >> Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
                >> 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                >> Dublin, OH 43016
                >> Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
                >> www.ztrack.com

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • uptoolateny
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 23, 2002
                  Hi Stuart,

                  Thanks for that tip, I contacted the web site and asked if they still had these Mallard shells. Here's Graham's
                  reply:

                  "Hi John

                  I am thinking of trying white metal again I will keep you informed

                  Graham"

                  Maybe there will be a Mallard in the future! Thanks again Stuart.

                  John
                  http://www.ztrains.com

                  --- In z_scale@y..., Stuart Firth <sfirth1@p...> wrote:
                  > While this may not appeal to American tastes, Z Club UK offer a resin
                  > shell for 'Mallard', probably the world's most famous steam locomotive
                  > (world record holder 127 MPH).
                  >
                  > It is here, along with some interesting and reasonably priced
                  > accessories.
                  >
                  > http://www.ford.demon.co.uk/items.html
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Stuart
                • Technical Imaging Labs
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 23, 2002
                    I own the old ISM patterns, and about 30 that never made it to market.
                    They didn't sell well when they were available, and I remember that they
                    figured that they never would until there were more tenders, until the
                    heavyweight and pullman cars were available, and until there were more
                    choicess for power than just Marklin. The other problem that I
                    remember is that proper paint was a problem, even with Steeam
                    Locomotives.

                    ztrack@... wrote:

                    > John,
                    >
                    > Back in the old days of Z in the US, a company named In Service
                    > Miniatures
                    > (ISM) made cast metal shells to retro fit on Märklin steam
                    > locomotives. ISM
                    > no longer exists, but these shells still come up now and then. I know
                    > for a
                    > fact that there are quite a few masters for even more steam shells out
                    > there.
                    > It is just a matter of bringing them to the market. One shell that is
                    > readily
                    > available is a Pennsylvania streamlined K4. The original Z version is
                    > actually from GHQ (war-gaming company). Pennzee is now offering and
                    > selling
                    > the shell as well as steam locomotive detail kits. Pennzee may also be
                    > able
                    > to help bring those masters I mentioned to market.
                    >
                    > Rob Kluz
                    >
                    > Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
                    > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    > Dublin, OH 43016
                    > Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
                    > www.ztrack.com

                  • uptoolateny
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 23, 2002
                      Hi,

                      I'd really like to see any of the available shells, any chance you could post photos?

                      John
                      http://www.ztrains.com

                      --- In z_scale@y..., Technical Imaging Labs <tilabs@c...> wrote:
                      > I own the old ISM patterns, and about 30 that never made it to market.
                      > They didn't sell well when they were available, and I remember that they
                      > figured that they never would until there were more tenders, until the
                      > heavyweight and pullman cars were available, and until there were more
                      > choicess for power than just Marklin. The other problem that I
                      > remember is that proper paint was a problem, even with Steeam
                      > Locomotives.
                    • bscaro
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 23, 2002
                        There are a few computer mock-up images for a GP7 shell in the Photos
                        section. Did this ever make it to production stage ? Also I
                        remember an old photo on this group a year or so ago of an SD40-2
                        shell- not sure if this was ever produced.

                        I guess the problem is, as ever, mechanisms for hood diesels.

                        However I have not checked the group for some time and am not sure
                        whether anything new has become available in this area ?

                        Cheers

                        Ben
                      • Mr. W
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 4, 2002
                          Those computer mock ups are mine. I have the design for a GP-7, and it
                          does include a design for a power unit, running, of course, off the 8mm
                          Micro-Mo double ended motor. The rest of the mechanism is based on the MTL
                          hardware (gears, trucks, etc.). My intent was to possibly, at some point,
                          produce a kit that would allow someone to buy a MTL F7, and retro-fit it
                          into a GP-7. However, there are a number of problems with this idea.
                          First, and foremost is that I haven't had time or money to proceed in some
                          time. I did get a prototype of the shell produced through rapid prototyping
                          in styrene, and it is a lovely little thing. (I even had a prototype power
                          unit running on the rails for a little while.) The one down side to this
                          process is that the detail level is somewhat limited. Smallest feature is
                          about .005 inch, as opposed to MTL's standard of about .002" for rivets.
                          So, the finer details can't be achieved this way.
                          However, I've considered this to be an ideal way to produce styrene
                          shells in very small quantities, with out them becoming too expensive. If
                          anyone has a particular shell type (and mechanism that it has to fit) that
                          they'd like to have produced, I'd be willing to look at doing the 3D models
                          for a nominal fee, and then having them rapid prototyped. However, I don't
                          have time to do the research. I'd have to be provided with drawings to
                          create the 3D models from.
                          Cheers!

                          GW

                          FMTLR&DDE

                          on Mon, 24 Jun 2002 01:02:05, bscaro at bscaro@... wrote:

                          > There are a few computer mock-up images for a GP7 shell in the Photos
                          > section. Did this ever make it to production stage ? Also I
                          > remember an old photo on this group a year or so ago of an SD40-2
                          > shell- not sure if this was ever produced.
                          >
                          > I guess the problem is, as ever, mechanisms for hood diesels.
                          >
                          > However I have not checked the group for some time and am not sure
                          > whether anything new has become available in this area ?
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          >
                          > Ben
                        • Randy Smidt
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 4, 2002
                            Mr. W,

                            I've often wondered about the possibilities available from rapid
                            prototyping. About what does it cost for a Z-scale shell to be made
                            using this process?

                            Would it be worth it to have a shell made using rapid prototyping then
                            adding more detail yourself?

                            Thanks,
                            Randy Smidt

                          • Mr. W
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 8, 2002
                              Randy,
                              There are a couple of issues that seem to effect the price of rapid
                              prototyping. If I recall correctly, the price is based on volume of the
                              model and depth of the model, and the rapid prototype work area. So, if you
                              only want one shell, the price for a GP-7 shell, for example, would cost
                              around $50 (if I recall correctly). But, if you were to produce two shells
                              at once, the cost would only be something like $80. And so on. These are,
                              of course, just guestimates, and for anything more formal I'd have to
                              contact the RP shop that I use, send them a model to look at, and have them
                              quote me a price. But, overall, I think that the price isn't that bad for
                              producing a decent styrene locomotive shell.

                              GW
                              FMTLR&DDE