Another Controller Thought...

  • John Cubbin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2002
      Hi,

      After bumping up sometime ago from the standard gray Marklin transformer
      to an MRC 2800 (the older 10Vdc model) as well as the MRC 1300, I've
      been much happier with the amount of useable transformer steps and slow
      speed performance all of my locos. Having a Relco installed has helped
      quite a bit as well.

      A friend of mine has been using the British Trax controller:

      http://www.traxcontrols.co.uk/

      From what he's told me the slow speed performance is amazing. The output
      of this Trax unit is 12Vdc. I believe this unit functions not entirely
      unlike DCC in that full power is applied to the motor in a series of
      short bursts, rather than a variable percentage of power being applied
      constantly.

      If this much is accurate, the possible problem (I would guess) is that
      these 12Vdc bursts are still a bit too high for a Z motor, which would
      be happier receiving 8Vdc or under, most likely well under for
      prototypical operation. I think that bursts of say, 2 - 4Vdc would not
      cause the heating of the motor that the full 12Vdc bursts would cause.

      The reason I bring this up is that I've contacted the owner of the
      company and asked if it would be possible for him to modify his
      controllers so their maximum output is 8Vdc, rather than the current
      12Vdc.

      Two other thoughts on this.... since I believe this controller has a
      similar operating principal to DCC (at least as far as the power to the
      motor), I came across this circuit:

      http://jdb.psu.edu/nmra/antibuzz.html

      This is an DCC anti-buzzing circuit. Might this be incorporated
      post-controller / pre-rails? I bring this up as I've heard that some DCC
      (and possibly this Trax controller) output designs can cause a buzzing
      noise at slower speeds. Also, this Trax controller features Back EMF
      circuitry which I definitely see as a plus.

      I just thought I'd jot this note off as I wait to hear back from the
      owner of Trax, and the feasibility of him modifying his controllers.

      John
      http://www.ztrains.com