NEWS: NMRA NFR region publishes "Z" article

  • jmac_han
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2002
      Hi Gang,

      I have received word (but not a hardcopy yet) that a news item
      that I submitted called "Val Ease Central Railroad at Faszination
      Modellbau 2002" along with 1 colourĀ  jpeg was published in the
      June issue of the NMRA Niagara Frontier Division "Flimsey".

      "The Niagara Frontier Region (NFR) is one of 17 regions of the
      National Model Railroad Association (NMRA). The NFR has
      members on both sides of the Canada/United States border. In
      Canada the region serves the Province of Ontario ( except the
      area west of Thunder Bay). In the United States the NFR serves
      parts of Western New York State and a strip of Pennsylvania
      (from Erie, PA north along the New York State Border). " (from the
      NFR website).

      This is the second time that the NFR "Flimsey" has published an
      item concerning the VEC and "Z" model railroading. Although
      the NMRA national magazine, "The Bulletin", has not yet
      published any submissions the regional newsletters appear to
      be willing to promote the successes of their members.

      If you are a member of the NMRA consider sending along your
      "Z" news to your local regional or divisional newsletters. The
      chances are excellent that you'll be published. An added
      dividend of regional coverage is that the NMRA brass reads
      these publications. With more local coverage of "Z" it is only a
      matter of time before the national reacts favourably and gives "Z"
      it's due in terms of visibility.

      Speaking of the NMRA Bulletin, this month's issue inaugerated a
      new column on narrow gauge. Frankly, if there is room for a
      narrow gauge column, why not a regular "Z" scale contribution?
      There are many of you who are accomplished authors who could
      certainly contribute occasionally to a column in the Bulletin. Hey,
      I think I'll send the suggestion along to the president of the
      NMRA. Who knows, it might work!

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey MacHan
    • Pasowl@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2002
        jmac_han@... writes:

        <clipped>
        > If you are a member of the NMRA consider sending along your
        > "Z" news to your local regional or divisional newsletters. The
        > chances are excellent that you'll be published.

        Let me add something here since I am the newsletter editor for a local NMRA
        division. Please feel free to send articles. We may have to at times balance
        coverage if needed so it doesn't become just a one scale or one use
        newsletter but most newsletter editors especially at divisional level would
        love to have more articles to choose from.

        Our first priorities must be to rely divisional information and meet times,
        places, and important divisional/regional news but usually there's always
        space for fill stories at least. In fact in the newsletter I put out last
        week, once again not one article or picture was submitted for publication
        despite me basically begging for some. There was a lot of editorial type
        writing done by me to finish the spaces out and most of it was describing the
        Richmond convention that starts next Thursday.

        I am already planning on writing an article on the convention and it's
        happenings for our next newsletter so I am sure there will be some mention of
        Z scale in it as there was in the one last week. Our newsletter only comes
        out four times a year but many divisions have the funding, etc., to put it
        out monthly so there's areas around you to check into seeing if you can
        contribute something. Each newsletter has it's own policies but with ours I
        accept articles for possible printing from anyone, NMRA or not as well as
        pictures as we have a couple of ways to handle those.

        > Speaking of the NMRA Bulletin, this month's issue inaugerated a
        > new column on narrow gauge. Frankly, if there is room for a
        > narrow gauge column, why not a regular "Z" scale contribution?
        > There are many of you who are accomplished authors who could
        > certainly contribute occasionally to a column in the Bulletin. Hey,
        > I think I'll send the suggestion along to the president of the
        > NMRA. Who knows, it might work!

        I believe many of the columnist in the National magazine were columnists for
        their local region and as plans developed for national they pulled the
        columnists from the regions. Our regions newsletter just lost one of their
        columnists as he has been asked to do the column for the National publication
        instead. So if you don't get a direct response from the pres, try contacting
        the regional people and starting a column in their publication (and send
        copies to the national editor and pres each time to keep the possibility
        fresh in their minds for a national one).
        Later,
        Pete Shatswell
        Night Owl Railways
        Pasowl@...