8606Re: Project Flexliners

  • claes_m2001
    Feb 1, 2002
      Hi,

      No, I'm not planning on doing these commercially. But I'd be happy to
      let you know how I did.

      On the page of the Danish State Railwaiys, I found a page with the
      dimensions of the different types.

      The body itself is made of 0.3mm brass sheets. I was able to bend the
      sheets into the right shape with the aid of a wood block. It
      took quite a few attempts, before I was able to make all the units
      exactly the same profile!
      The 'Rubbernose' is made of special 'playdoe' for modelling, which can
      be heated in an oven to 'harden'.
      The electrical insulators on the roof of the EMU units are very thin
      copper wire, wrapped around another copper wire (I got the inspiration
      from H. Freudenreichs Swiss catenary).
      On the IC3 and IR4 I added handelbars on the 'cab doors' by drilling
      very small holes through which I put a small piece of very thin steel
      wire.
      The fronts and the details along the sides are printed out on special
      almost invisible transparent 'sticker decall paper' on an inkjet
      printer.

      At this point the units are not motorized. I still need to figure out
      how to do that, that will be my next project.

      Claes

      --- In z_scale@y..., WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK <wbbrock_2000@y...>
      wrote:
      > Claes,
      >
      > From what I can see of the units themselves, it looks
      > very good. Are you planning to do this commercially
      > and what material or medium did you use to accomplish
      > this? Thanks,
      >
      > Will
      > --- claes_m2001 <claes_m@h...> wrote:
      > > Hi Gang,
      > >
      > > I'd like to share with you the result of a project I
      > > have been
      > > working on for a few months
      > > I've added a few pics in the 'Photos' Section in the
      > > album 'Claes'
      > >
      > > I've been scratchbuilding some Z-scale units of the
      > > Flexliner
      > > (Rubbernose) family from ABB. Pantographs are from
      > > Marklin, trucks
      > > are from MT.
      > >
      > > So far I've build the following:
      > >
      > > Danish State Railways IC3 DMU (picture posted)
      > > Swedish Rail IC3 DMU 'Kustpilen' (picture posted)
      > > Israel Railways IC3 DMU
      > > Amtrak Flexliner DMU (toured the US a few years
      > > back)
      > > Private Danish Railways 'Lollandsbanen' IC2 DMU
      > > Danish State Railways IR4 EMU
      > > Swedish Rail/Danish State Railways Contessa EMU
      > > 'Oeresundstog'
      > > (picture posted)
      > >
      > > The Contessa is not really a pure Flexliner, but is
      > > a cross between a
      > > Flexliner 'Rubbernose' and the Swedish high-speed
      > > train X2000.
      > >
      > > Enjoy the pics!
      > >
      > > Best regards,
      > > Claes