      From: "garth.a.hamilton@..."
      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, November 8, 2013 12:53 PM
      Subject: [Z_Scale] RE: HELP!!!

       Marty;

      I do not think there is anything wrong with your turnout, with power routing there is a different set of electrical rules from non power routing. non power routing is the Marklin standard for  Z scale and is the one most people are familiar with and is the simplest to implement. Power routing requires a fair bit of electrical knowledge and a knowledge of block wiring and is much more complicated to implement.

      In any power routing turnout the track feed must be in front of  points or common end of the turnout and then power will be routed to the outlet as per the direction selected by the points. If you try to feed the turnout from the other side then only one route will be powered. This is why with most power routing turnouts the track feed is usually don by blocks with a control panel  and switches. If you feed the track at the backside, or outlet side of the turnout on the straight route the when the curved route is selected there will be no power. the same if you feed track power at outlet of curved route then when the turnout is set straight then there will be no power on that route.

      For small and medium sized layouts non power routing is probably the way to go as you only need one power feed to the track and the complete layout is powered. However you can only run one engine or several MU'd or connected to one another so they act as a single engine. to run multiple engines on a layout you need either block control of track feed or DCC. In block wiring for multiple train operation you usually have a switch to select which cab, or throttle to power the block and a polarity switch to change direction with a throttle to control speed only and not change track direction. In block wiring there are two systems, one a single wire and a common rail and the other where you switch the power to both rails, my preference is for the two wire control rather single wire and common approach of some companies supplying control switches for blocks and turnouts. Block operation is more challenging as you have to match track polarity from block to block and when crossing from cab to cab or throttle.

      regards Garth

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic