73480RE: Today In History

  • viktor_kovacs
    Oct 27, 2013

      Hi,

      I would like to add that while I'm a big fan of the IRT, the first

      subway was built in London, England and the first all electric

      system was built in Budapest, Hungary (1896). The New York

      IRT system was modeled after this.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_1_(Budapest_Metro)

      And one of the original cars are still operational (after 117 years):

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uX2Hpq7TVI

      While the line was extended multiple times, all the original

      stations are still in use except the one at Deak square, but

      that one houses the underground museum with original rolling

      stocks from various generations.

      just my 2 cents: Viktor Kovacs

      ---In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, <z_scale@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

       1904 World's 1st subway, the IRT (Interborough Rapid Transit), opens in NYC, subway/bus fare is set at one nickel

      _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`