72994Re: New Peco Rail Joiners

  • Garth
    Jul 8, 2013
      The Peco illustration show the wire soldered at right angles to the rail joiner in Z scale this is a very small cross section and joint can easily be broken it the wire is move to much. I solder the wire in line with the joiner with an elbow already bent in it, so wire is already pointing down below joiner. I it is easy to make a jig for soldering wire to rail joiners. Just need a short piece of scrap rail put it into a pin vice to hold it and put the pin vise in the jaws of a bigger vice with the bottom of the rail facing up, push rail joiner onto rail, then solder wire to back of rail joiner making sure you don't over do it solder rail joiner to the rail being used as a jig. Once done install on track and put wire down through the road bed through a small hole, so wire is hidden as well as solder joint, this insures no melted ties on track. This is best done with new rail joiners so they are a tight fit to the rail across the joint of two rails. To make the joint tin the end of the wire and the back of the rail joiner. bend the elbow in the wire put foot of elbow on rail joiner and apply heat from iron to the wire when you see solder melt in the joint between the wire and joiner remove the iron from your joint and let cool should be done, now you can install it. You want to use a rosin core solder fairly fine in diameter. DO not use plumbing type older and flux as it is not designed for this application and will destroy your track at joint over time. Use solder designed for soldering component to a circuit board.

      regards Garth