72821Re: My nest new layout

  • mark2playz
    May 14, 2013
      Welcome to the group. As Kev pointed out to answer your questions, we need to ask some questions like how big do you want to make your layout? Modeling any specific region, road or era? What are you expecting to spend?
      There have been great changes in Z over the past few years, but N scale still has a larger variety of locos, rolling stock and structures. If you have no particular needs, there is a good selection of steam and diesel locos as well as rolling stock.
      The Z size provides better opportunity for shelf-sized and table-top layouts than N and allows for more prototypical layouts. I'd suggest you take a look at some of the images and videos from NTS 2011 in Sacramento.
      Z is a little more costly than N, but that is changing and the GP38s can go for under $100.
      I've found Z scale challenging and enjoyed working with it.

      Hope this helps,

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "johng800" <johng800@...> wrote:
      > Hello to the group:
      > I am going to be starting my next layout in about three months and am uncertain if I will build in z or n. I would love to hear some pro and cons if any one has information to share. Size is of course the obvious one and will play an important factor but one of my concerns is putting cars and locomotives on the track when they are that small.
      > Love to hear what ever you think on both sides of the coin
      > John
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic