72818Re : [Z_Scale] My nest new layout

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    May 14, 2013
      Hi.
      Everyone is the best judge for choosing. In my opinion Z scale is a very relevant scale when considering space limitations. Or when wanting very broad curves and running rather long trains in an overall limited space. However, one has to know there are still some drawbacks with our beloved Z scale:
      - the lack of RTR power routing turnouts, without plastic roadbed and side mechanism (ie: a turnout such as Peco or Atlas release for N scale..). Very limitating in my way of seeing modelrailroading.
      - the lack of factory equipped DCC locos.
      - some models of locos are very difficult to be equipped with DCC decoders.
      - the overall still limited choice of motive power and rolling stock. However, regarding north american prototype, choice is vastly enhancing nowadays.
      - prices are generally higher than those of matching N scale models.
      - if your interrest is european prototype, be advised you have mostly nothing available outside of german and swiss models.

      On the other side, the available Z scale models are all very reliable. Micro-Trains and AZL release wonderful locomotives and cars. It's really a pleasure for me to run these, performing switching, on my small 4 1/2' x 3' layout, that yet consists of broad curves, thanks to MTL flextrack... The choice of available models is widening every month, and at least for american prototype modellers the available range of products allow very interresting opportunities.

      That's your choice.

      Dom

      En date de : Mar 14.5.13, johng800 <johng800@...> a écrit :

      > De: johng800 <johng800@...>
      > Objet: [Z_Scale] My nest new layout
      > À: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Mardi 14 mai 2013, 17h25

      > Hello to the group:
      >

      > I am going to be starting my next layout in about three
      > months and am uncertain if I will build in z or n. I would
      > love to hear some pro and cons if any one has information to
      > share. Size is of course the obvious one and will play an
      > important factor but one of my concerns is putting cars and
      > locomotives on the track when they are that small.
      >

      > Love to hear what ever you think on both sides of the coin
      >

      > John

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic